Day after Monday Musings: Football expectations

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Look I agree that comment wasn't necessary. My apologies for taking it too far. I was exaggerating to make my point. According to CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/IOWAST/iowa-state-cyclones) last year the ISU defense gave up 224 rushing yards per game. That was good enough to be the 107th ranked rushing defense in the nation out of a total of 120 teams. That's just plain awful.

Now I'm biased, but if you do some research you will find that most college football analysts are expecting the Iowa offensive line to be one of the best in the country. It could quite possibly be the strongest point of the Hawkeye team. Considering what ISU lost on defense from a subpar unit last year it would be asinine to predict anything other than an Iowa rushing onslaught. They have the tools to do it, and I'm not confident ISU has the ability to do anything about it.

You keep going on about what ISU lost on defense going into this coming year. Basically, the 2 biggest losses were Jeremiah George and Jacques Washington. Along with 2 underachieving DT's with questionable attitudes, one of which was starting. And Broomfield, who was decent but not great, and Watson, who was decent but not great.

You keep going on about Iowa, but IMO while their DL should be good, they lost 3 LB's that were draft picks in the NFL. Losing the whole LB core will be huge. And they have losses in their secondary as well.

No one is predicting ISU to have a great defense. But I just don't see us being any worse than last year. I see us being about the same. And the offense should be much improved.

Like CW's analysis shows most are looking at this season as 4 to 5 wins. 16 starters return from last year. And CPR will not get fired even if he wins only 3 games again this season. It is not going to happen. Reloading coaches at ISU every 5 or 6 years is not the answer. Rhoads wants to be at ISU. ISU is competitive and has shown they can be a dangerous team to play that can pull off the upset. Things are getting better. Recruiting classes are getting better.

And speaking of recruiting, ISU only graduates 11 seniors this year. So this recruiting class is likely to only have a total of 13 commits in the entire class. So each scholarship is precious. We only have about 12 scholarships left to fill in this class and we have not even had our padded camp yet.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids
That mofo from UNI last year had about 550 yds on 10 carries. :twitcy:

I think Mangino will help things a lot, but there's still a lot of improvement to be made on both sides of the ball.
Oh man... I don't know why but I literally laughed hysterically at the first part... that guy was murdering us, and we couldn't do anything to stop it...

Aug 22, 2013
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by awd4cy

Agreed. That NDSU game should honestly be a toss up. They lost a ton but they still are probably going to be slightly better than that 5-7 FCS team that whipped us at the beginning of last year. Really need to win that game.
QUOTE=Luth4Cy;4039745]UNI was 7-5, not 5-7. They also lost by one point to North Dakota State at the Fargodome and were the only FCS team to give the Bison a legit fight. Losing to UNI is unacceptable, but that team was much better than they are given credit for.[/QUOTE]
The fact that a FCS team is considered a "toss up" and that were arguing about which FCS school is better tells me what i need to know for expectations lolz

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Honestly, unless we have some major injuries on the O-line this year, I expect to put up over 30 ppg with our skill players and a competent offensive coordinator.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As a head coach, he had the most conference wins against ISU than any other B12 team. Take away getting some wins against ISU and his win totals are rather pedestrian.

You may have to take out the wins against ISU, but you will be able to add back in the wins against KU. :spinny:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron