Day after Monday Musings: Football expectations

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
CW, why do you think that Iowa should be at least a 2 TD favorite going into this game? They lost just as much on defense as we did 2 years ago, and their QB play wasn't exactly stellar. They were just picked to finish 4th on their side of the B1G (behind Minny).

Last edited:

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
CW, why do you think that Iowa should be at least a 2 TD favorite going into this game? They lost just as much on defense as we did 2 years ago, and their QB play wasn't exactly stellar. They were just picked to finish 4th on their side of the B1G (behind Minny).

National perception. Game is in Iowa City (that's probably 5-7 points alone). Not saying that's what the line should be, just what I anticipate it to be. Of course, both teams will have played two games by the time they meet so a lot can/will change before that day.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
I think this is spot on. If ISU wins the 3 games they're supposed too, they really set themselves up for a chance at bowl eligibility with the last 3 games on the schedule.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Minimum 6 wins. There is an amazing coaching staff in place, and one of the overall most athletic rosters Iowa State has ever had. If the coaching staff can tap the potential of these young guys, we could make some real noise.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Minimum 6 wins. There is an amazing coaching staff in place, and one of the overall most athletic rosters Iowa State has ever had. If the coaching staff can tap the potential of these young guys, we could make some real noise.

I'm pretty sure I can find this quote almost word for word on this board leading up to last year. We loved the new additions to the coaching staff and heard all summer about the most athletic roster ever under CPR. We know how that turned out.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So this musings got me thinking. Lets look at last year, and would Mangino have got us any wins. I think there is for sure two wins we get with him running the O. UNI and TCU. I also think there is potential wins against Iowa, Texas and to less extent Texas Tech. So lets say we just get one of those three, that is 6 wins right there.

So based on last year, our D really can't be much worse, and I would expect just from a competency standpoint our offense is going to grow. So I can see someone saying "at least 5 - 7." With a competent offense last year we were at worst 5-7, and I expect that the offensive growth to help the defense.

Oh you have to love the "what if" game.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I'm pretty sure I can find this quote almost word for word on this board leading up to last year. We loved the new additions to the coaching staff and heard all summer about the most athletic roster ever under CPR. We know how that turned out.

Was anyone excited about Messingham? I recall a lot of "wait and see" or "hope for the best" attitude regarding him as OC a year ago. He didn't exactly impress anyone in his first year.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010

Probably b/c Iowa absolutely manhandled ISU in Ames last year, is returning nearly the same line (which includes probably the best tackle in all of college football) that ran 20+ consecutive off-tackles/stretch plays that you couldn't stop despite 8 man fronts, returns nearly the same defense minus the LB's, will have a much improved passing game with many more targets, the game is in Iowa City, you lost a lot on a D line that was already really bad, you only won 3 games last year, new coaches/system, etc, etc. Choose any of the above or the many more that weren't listed. Preseason picks me nothing. If you really think Iowa is going to finish behind the Goophers I'd love to take that bet.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Probably b/c Iowa absolutely manhandled ISU in Ames last year, is returning nearly the same line (which includes probably the best tackle in all of college football) that ran 20+ consecutive off-tackles/stretch plays that you couldn't stop despite 8 man fronts, returns nearly the same defense minus the LB's, will have a much improved passing game with many more targets, the game is in Iowa City, you lost a lot on a D line that was already really bad, you only won 3 games last year, new coaches/system, etc, etc. Choose any of the above or the many more that weren't listed. Preseason picks me nothing. If you really think Iowa is going to finish behind the Goophers I'd love to take that bet.

Careful Mr. Hawkeye! Your glorious offense put up 28 points against a god awful defense last year. A defense that got absolutely no help from it's offense. If ISU were to able sustain any kind of drive, Iowa doesn't score 28 points. Not saying the Hawkeyes aren't the better team, but lets not make it sound like ISU is playing Alabama.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Careful Mr. Hawkeye! Your glorious offense put up 28 points against a god awful defense last year. A defense that got absolutely no help from it's offense. If ISU were to able sustain any kind of drive, Iowa doesn't score 28 points. Not saying the Hawkeyes aren't the better team, but lets not make it sound like ISU is playing Alabama.

It looked pretty close last year. That was the perfect example of a team letting up or losing interest.
I don't love Iowa football, but that really wasn't a close game.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Was anyone excited about Messingham? I recall a lot of "wait and see" or "hope for the best" attitude regarding him as OC a year ago. He didn't exactly impress anyone in his first year.

I guess I was thinking more of the Coach K hire. That said, I think there were a lot of posters around here that thought Mess was going to get it turned around with a year of experience under his belt. I think the Mangino hire is a much better bet than those two, but you never know. Hell, this board was over the moon with the Chiz hire.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
How could any Kansas football fan pick the jayhawks to win anything in the big 12. We have completely eaten their lunch the last two years.

Also, CW, what makes you place WV and TTech on the same line? I feel like those are 2 teams trending in opposite directions.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Coming into this season with no expectations. Hard to know what to expect with so many players I've never seen play and coaches that have only been on the job for a few months. Any season projection feels like more of an evaluation of the other 12 teams than an evaluation of ISU.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014

What is ISU fans infatuation with comparing Iowa to Alabama? I have not once seen or heard a Hawkeye fan compare themselves to Alabama, but I've read the analogy over here multiple times in the past few weeks. It's insane.

Iowa doesn't have to be Alabama to roll over the ISU defense. They have the offensive line to do it. A guy could sit in a wheelchair and get 100 yards against the ISU front seven when you consider what ISU lost from a horrible defense and how strong the Iowa offensive line is going to be. Rudock is not what I would consider to be an excellent QB, but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to manage the game and limit turnovers which he's proven he's more than capable of doing. He'll have wide open receivers. He'll just have to make sure he throws a catchable ball.

Last edited:

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
It looked pretty close last year. That was the perfect example of a team letting up or losing interest.
I don't love Iowa football, but that really wasn't a close game.

Oh I don't think ISU should have won that game, and maybe they lost interest, but they still only put up 27 points. That was against CPRs worst defense, now I understand the d line isn't going to be great, but not sure our defense can be much worse. Along with the defense not being any worse, you would like to think ISU might be able to move the ball. A good offense is the best defense, not that ISU will have a good offense, but it can't be worse.

ISU has 8 possessions of 6 plays or less that ended with no point, and weren't the end of a half. Of those 8 possessions 4 of them were 3 or less plays. We didn't have a drive over 9 plays, the 9 play drive was 1:20 seconds it was the 3rd touchdown. Of the 8 possessions, the furthest we moved the ball was 31 yards. We had 14 total possessions, 8 were less than 6 plays that resulted in no points, 2 were ended by the half, 3 were touchdowns, and 1 7 play 4 yard drive.

That is an offense not helping a defense at all.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
...Iowa doesn't have to be Alabama to roll over the ISU defense. They have the offensive line to do it. A guy could sit in a wheelchair and get 100 yards against the ISU front seven when you consider what ISU lost from a horrible defense and how strong the Iowa offensive line is going to be. Rudock is not what I would consider to be an excellent QB, but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to manage the game and limit turnovers which he's proven he's more than capable of doing. He'll have wide open receivers. He'll just have to make sure he throws a catchable ball.

That mofo from UNI last year had about 550 yds on 10 carries. :twitcy:

I think Mangino will help things a lot, but there's still a lot of improvement to be made on both sides of the ball.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Oh I don't think ISU should have won that game, and maybe they lost interest, but they still only put up 27 points. That was against CPRs worst defense, now I understand the d line isn't going to be great, but not sure our defense can be much worse. Along with the defense not being any worse, you would like to think ISU might be able to move the ball. A good offense is the best defense, not that ISU will have a good offense, but it can't be worse.

ISU has 8 possessions of 6 plays or less that ended with no point, and weren't the end of a half. Of those 8 possessions 4 of them were 3 or less plays. We didn't have a drive over 9 plays, the 9 play drive was 1:20 seconds it was the 3rd touchdown. Of the 8 possessions, the furthest we moved the ball was 31 yards. We had 14 total possessions, 8 were less than 6 plays that resulted in no points, 2 were ended by the half, 3 were touchdowns, and 1 7 play 4 yard drive.

That is an offense not helping a defense at all.

It's also an Iowa defense that played a pretty salty game of football, and an ISU offensive line that completely failed to get any sort of push against an Iowa defensive line that returns its best players.

Yes, Mangino is a much better coach than Mess. That will help. I expect his gameplan to be better, but there's only so much he can do. I don't think ISU is going to have a run game against Iowa. It will be on their QB and receivers to keep them in the game. The good news for ISU is that, while Iowa's defensive line is going to be very good, getting to the QB will probably not be its strength. They will play disciplined football and be very stout against the run. It sounds like they are planning on using a lot more of the Raider package and blitzing to try to create some pressure on the QB. So Rohach (or whomever gets the nod) should have some time to get rid of the ball, and if he can catch them on a blitz there could be some opportunities for bigger plays.