Day after Monday Musings: Football expectations

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
It's also an Iowa defense that played a pretty salty game of football, and an ISU offensive line that completely failed to get any sort of push against an Iowa defensive line that returns its best players.

Yes, Mangino is a much better coach than Mess. That will help. I expect his gameplan to be better, but there's only so much he can do. I don't think ISU is going to have a run game against Iowa. It will be on their QB and receivers to keep them in the game. The good news for ISU is that, while Iowa's defensive line is going to be very good, getting to the QB will probably not be its strength. They will play disciplined football and be very stout against the run. It sounds like they are planning on using a lot more of the Raider package and blitzing to try to create some pressure on the QB. So Rohach (or whomever gets the nod) should have some time to get rid of the ball, and if he can catch them on a blitz there could be some opportunities for bigger plays.

I think you all are misconstruing what I am conveying. I am not saying ISU will win the game, I am not saying ISU will be good. I am just saying that an improved offense is going to help the defense. Also, someone made it seem like Iowa would roll ISU. And I was just merely making the point that ISU had its worst defense under CPR and they scored 27 points, so not to expect it to be a blow out. That doesn't mean it can't happen, or it won't happen, but I think over the last 15 years we can expect this game to be competitive.

As i pointed out earlier, ISU was a competent offense away from having 5 wins last year, if not more. No reason to think an offense that can have more series of longer than 6 plays then less than 6 plays will give a defense more time to rest and with more rest be better positioned to stop an offense.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Reasonable assessment of the probable wins, probable losses and the "maybes."

If I ranked most-to-least likely wins, here it is, with some factor of home-field advantage:
1. Toledo
2. North Dakota State
3. at Kansas
4. West Virginia
5. at TCU
6. Texas Tech
7. at Iowa
8. Kansas State
9. Baylor
10. at Oklahoma State
11. at Texas
12. Oklahoma*

*Unless this is the year ISU happens to somehow snap the historically depressing skid.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What is ISU fans infatuation with comparing Iowa to Alabama? I have not once seen or heard a Hawkeye fan compare themselves to Alabama, but I've read the analogy over here multiple times in the past few weeks. It's insane.

Iowa doesn't have to be Alabama to roll over the ISU defense. They have the offensive line to do it. A guy could sit in a wheelchair and get 100 yards against the ISU front seven when you consider what ISU lost from a horrible defense and how strong the Iowa offensive line is going to be. Rudock is not what I would consider to be an excellent QB, but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to manage the game and limit turnovers which he's proven he's more than capable of doing. He'll have wide open receivers. He'll just have to make sure he throws a catchable ball.

Infatuation????? I don't see any Cyclone Fanatics living on the Hawkeye Message Boards. It is the Hawkeyes that are infatuated as evidenced by their presence here on Cyclone Fanatic.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm pretty sure I can find this quote almost word for word on this board leading up to last year. We loved the new additions to the coaching staff and heard all summer about the most athletic roster ever under CPR. We know how that turned out.

You can also find it on 49ers forums the year before they got good, and Chiefs forums two years ago. They kept the talent following a flop year, but added a high profile offensive coach and busted out.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Can mods please ban this Section110 and BlackHawk, they troll every thread anymore?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I've got a question.

Where do CPR, Mangino, and Wally rank as a unit compared to other teams? Big12 and nationally.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You can also find it on 49ers forums the year before they got good, and Chiefs forums two years ago. They kept the talent following a flop year, but added a high profile offensive coach and busted out.

The NFL is a far different animal than ISU in the B12. We have a plethora of built in disadvantages that NFL teams don't have to deal with, and a pro rebuild is a different process from a college rebuild. Total apples and oranges here.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
What is ISU fans infatuation with comparing Iowa to Alabama? I have not once seen or heard a Hawkeye fan compare themselves to Alabama, but I've read the analogy over here multiple times in the past few weeks. It's insane.

Talking to some Hawkeye fans and reading some of the things they post on message boards one would think that Iowa has won several Rose Bowls and National Titles. They may not say they're Alabama, but they puff their chest out like they're in the top tier of college football.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The NFL is a far different animal than ISU in the B12. We have a plethora of built in disadvantages that NFL teams don't have to deal with, and a pro rebuild is a different process from a college rebuild. Total apples and oranges here.

You have unrealistic expectations if you think we can lose more starters than any other team in the Big12 and just carry on where we left off. You need chemistry at any level of football. We don't have the talent of Alabama where you can just plug in players and get away with raw athletic ability. We have to develop our players. If you follow football, it's actually normal for guys who weren't good year one to be real good year three or four.

Hell we didn't even get blown out every game. We lost five games by seven or less. A slightly better offense and who knows how many games we win. We don't have the injury bug and who knows what happens.

Few plays a game go a different way and 8 wins was within reach.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS

Iowa doesn't have to be Alabama to roll over the ISU defense. They have the offensive line to do it. A guy could sit in a wheelchair and get 100 yards against the ISU front seven when you consider what ISU lost from a horrible defense and how strong the Iowa offensive line is going to be. Rudock is not what I would consider to be an excellent QB, but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to manage the game and limit turnovers which he's proven he's more than capable of doing. He'll have wide open receivers. He'll just have to make sure he throws a catchable ball.

This is absolute garbage. You seem to want to try to have a rational discussion and be taken seriously, yet you feel it necessary to insult the audience. It's garbage like this that should answer the very question you pose at the beginning of this post.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It seems like people don't understand who our OC is, or what he does on offense everywhere he goes. Not thinking we will be bowl eligible makes sense if we didn't revamp the staff on offense. But we actually have a coach now that can make players look good. That's kind of scary with all the talent we've brought in recently for offense. He didn't even have NFL caliber players at Kansas but he made them out perform guys with the talent that went to the NFL.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
My Cardinal colored glasses are broken and I haven't had any of the Kool Aid yet.

3 wins is what I see.

....and the 2015 season will be very important to the coaching staff

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Probably b/c Iowa absolutely manhandled ISU in Ames last year, is returning nearly the same line (which includes probably the best tackle in all of college football) that ran 20+ consecutive off-tackles/stretch plays that you couldn't stop despite 8 man fronts, returns nearly the same defense minus the LB's, will have a much improved passing game with many more targets, the game is in Iowa City, you lost a lot on a D line that was already really bad, you only won 3 games last year, new coaches/system, etc, etc. Choose any of the above or the many more that weren't listed. Preseason picks me nothing. If you really think Iowa is going to finish behind the Goophers I'd love to take that bet.

The problem with this statement is, 2 of those 3 LB's are now in the NFL, and you could argue all 3 should be. So, losing 3 LB's of that caliber, all at once, does not afford you "nearly" the same defense.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Hate to pee in the Cheerios here but with all of the excitement over Mangino I bring you a couple of sobering points. As an OC at Okie he had far better talent than what he will be working with here. As a head coach, he had the most conference wins against ISU than any other B12 team. Take away getting some wins against ISU and his win totals are rather pedestrian.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It seems like people don't understand who our OC is, or what he does on offense everywhere he goes. Not thinking we will be bowl eligible makes sense if we didn't revamp the staff on offense. But we actually have a coach now that can make players look good. That's kind of scary with all the talent we've brought in recently for offense. He didn't even have NFL caliber players at Kansas but he made them out perform guys with the talent that went to the NFL.
Mangino hasn't always started out with a great offense. His offenses were not even that good at Kansas until he got his personnel. Just because he is our OC going in his first year here doesn't mean that our offense is suddenly going to be amazing all of the sudden. Someone people on here think we will suddenly score 30 ppg this year. Those people are crazy and are going to be in for a surprise when it will be more like 22-23 ppg.