SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So, much like your posting, amirite? :jimlad:
true.gif

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I would like to hear rational from show producers why they do this

I think there are lot of things on local radio that you could ask, "Who in the hell wants to hear this?" Are people clamoring to hear updates from the guy that runs the Iowa Speedway? Or do we need every local sports show to have regular segments about beer and whiskey? Or one of the shows used to have a regular segment with Drakes old AD, where she would come on and talk about women's tennis and whatever other sport.

Years ago I used to work with a guy that would sit and listen to WHO all morning. Their local morning show was the most brutal thing I've ever heard. It was literally interviews with people like the director of communications for the Iowa Egg Council.

While I like listening to local sports radio when I'm in the car, the content of local radio in general can be amazingly horrible. Then the great part is you get the local sports shows on air bragging about their ratings when they are usually the only local show on at that time. So if a person wants some ISU or UI talk, it's their only option. Otherwise you can listen to the national shows and hear what Tom Brady and Dak Prescott ate for breakfast.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
While I like listening to local sports radio when I'm in the car, the content of local radio in general can be amazingly horrible. Then the great part is you get the local sports shows on air bragging about their ratings when they are usually the only local show on at that time. So if a person wants some ISU or UI talk, it's their only option. Otherwise you can listen to the national shows and hear what Tom Brady and Dak Prescott ate for breakfast.
Tom Brady and Dak Prescott eat breakfast together? That's news!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would like to hear rational from show producers why they do this
Because the nimrods that call in are the same ones that like to hear nimrods call in. There's enough of them to support a show. Look up "circle jerk". It's lazy radio but probably a necessity to fill time.

It's WAY worse on a national show.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I work in Pella, out in production we have a very diverse set of accents. There are some people born, raised and have probably never left Iowa that I struggle to understand when they speak. Its not a mumble or volume issue either, it is accent and jargon.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Literally, every time Travis is on any show. I get a visceral response when I hear him.

Their show has been especially horrible the past couple of weeks. There's actual live, local sports to talk about right now and when I've tried to tune in for some actual content I'm hearing about his colonoscopy, Sean not realizing that people eat seaweed, and many other idiotic topics. Sometimes they will start talking about a sport related topic but that is usually short lived because Sean will make a stupid comment that completely derails the conversation into some ridiculous rabbit hole. And then it will continue into the next segment after the commercial break. For example, when I tuned in on Monday at 7am, I expected to hear some talk about the win over OU. I think it was about 7:40am by the time I even heard a mention of it. They talked about it for a bit in the 6am hour, apparently, but really.....it was all there was to talk about, along with more playoff baseball coming up, and even the NBA Finals, if anyone actually cares about that.....but they were talking stupid off-topic **** again.

And yes, it's funny to hear them brag about their ratings. They have literally no local sports talk competition in their timeslot. You just have to hope that occasionally they'll talk sports but it's not often. And so rare lately I'll mute the radio and forget about it until DP's show is on.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I work in Pella, out in production we have a very diverse set of accents. There are some people born, raised and have probably never left Iowa that I struggle to understand when they speak. Its not a mumble or volume issue either, it is accent and jargon.

Funny you mention the jargon thing. That's something else I noticed when I used to live down there. Lots of words in use that I had never heard before. One that sticks into my mind was a guy that was part of a racoon hunting club (yes that's a thing) and he would use the term "hummock." I ended up having to buy the guy a coke because the word was in the dictionary and pretty close to what he described it.

The moral of the story is there are many things we can learn from our Southern Iowa brethren, from vocabulary to how to get your hounds to properly tree a racoon.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
My guess was that OU would open -6.5 and the total would 62. I was close on total but not spread.
Literally, every time Travis is on any show. I get a visceral response when I hear him.

No matter what show it is or how long he might be on, as soon as I hear his voice, the station is turned. I could say a lot of things now but I have a rule to try and not say bad things about folks.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Their show has been especially horrible the past couple of weeks. There's actual live, local sports to talk about right now and when I've tried to tune in for some actual content I'm hearing about his colonoscopy, Sean not realizing that people eat seaweed, and many other idiotic topics. Sometimes they will start talking about a sport related topic but that is usually short lived because Sean will make a stupid comment that completely derails the conversation into some ridiculous rabbit hole. And then it will continue into the next segment after the commercial break. For example, when I tuned in on Monday at 7am, I expected to hear some talk about the win over OU. I think it was about 7:40am by the time I even heard a mention of it. They talked about it for a bit in the 6am hour, apparently, but really.....it was all there was to talk about, along with more playoff baseball coming up, and even the NBA Finals, if anyone actually cares about that.....but they were talking stupid off-topic **** again.

And yes, it's funny to hear them brag about their ratings. They have literally no local sports talk competition in their timeslot. You just have to hope that occasionally they'll talk sports but it's not often. And so rare lately I'll mute the radio and forget about it until DP's show is on.
I'll take your word for it. I refuse to listen to any show that he is on. He really thinks he's funny.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

I know this is off the topic, but has any listened to the ISU post game show on WHO? Maybe is no longer on, now that the hawks are back soon.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron