Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m assuming you had your shots before bowling and a hot bleach shower after picking up a sixer at the Casey’s across the road to celebrate.

Seriously, congrats on the 700 series!

I will say that Casey’s had extra good Casey’s donuts back in the day.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
HA, he just called in and he's all mad because he got the Corona and now he can't taste his beer! :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gorm

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I’m not sure why, but people from Northeast Iowa have stronger “northern” accent than people from North Central/western Iowa. I suspect it’s the Wisconsin influence.

I noticed it at ISU. I’m from a tiny town in the Osage area and lived one year with buddy’s from Osage, Cresco, and New Hampton (attended those high schools anyway). The guys from Cresco and New Hampton had really pronounced accents compared to the guys from farther west. I have a lot of college buddies from Okoboji and they also don’t have the accent as heavily.

Now that I live in NEIA, I’m aware (from friends in DSM) that my accent has thickened. My wife is basically Marge Gunderson, but she grew up in NEIA and has always been more that way than me.

Reactions: jdolson

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think of Derek from New Sharon as being just another Des Moines East-Sider.
:jimlad: :chris::jimlad:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I’m not sure why, but people from Northeast Iowa have stronger “northern” accent than people from North Central/western Iowa. I suspect it’s the Wisconsin influence.

I noticed it at ISU. I’m from a tiny town in the Osage area and lived one year with buddy’s from Osage, Cresco, and New Hampton (attended those high schools anyway). The guys from Cresco and New Hampton had really pronounced accents compared to the guys from farther west. I have a lot of college buddies from Okoboji and they also don’t have the accent as heavily.

Now that I live in NEIA, I’m aware (from friends in DSM) that my accent has thickened. My wife is basically Marge Gunderson, but she grew up in NEIA and has always been more that way than me.

People in NE and far Eastern Iowa think they live in the Chicagoland area. That's where they get it.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
People in NE and far Eastern Iowa think they live in the Chicagoland area. That's where they get it.

Disagree, it’s not a Chicago-type accent. Mostly a Minnesotan accent, with just a little more nasal sound like a Wisconsin accent would be.

• Winner
Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Not in far NE Iowa. Very little Chicago influence there. NE IA and SE MN are pretty tied to Wisconsin. I think that’s the accent you get there. A cross between Minnesota and Wisconsin with that plain Iowa thing thrown in.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Eddyville is Mahaska County.

Eddyville is really in Wapello county, the county line is right north of town.

Growing up in the bottom tier of counties, I never noticed that we spoke with a southern drawl, until we moved south of Storm Lake. After living there for a couple of years, I began to notice the difference when we came home for visits.
When you hear it every day of your life, it becomes normal to you, and only after you leave do you start to hear the difference.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: khardbored

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Disagree, it’s not a Chicago-type accent. Mostly a Minnesotan accent, with just a little more nasal sound like a Wisconsin accent would be.

I'm not talking about Chicago Bear Superfan accents. I'm talking about more of a Dave Kaplan type accent. I've heard a lot of that, and Wisconsin, in NE and far Eastern Iowa. New Hampton is for sure more Wisconinish though. That's more like the Busch Light guy or Chris From Green Bay. Either way, it's annoying as fu##.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Side note, all of these shows get terrible as soon as they take calls. Stop taking calls. I tuned in on Monday for the first time in a while and all I heard about was Purdy's parents and mask wearing. Just terrible.

Reactions: Cydkar

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Side note, all of these shows get terrible as soon as they take calls. Stop taking calls. I tuned in on Monday for the first time in a while and all I heard about was Purdy's parents and mask wearing. Just terrible.
I would like to hear rational from show producers why they do this

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't understand why people call into sports talk radio so much. Not sure if it's to hear their voice on the radio or they think they are semi famous or something. Not really sure what the deal is with it. I can't even listen to sports talk radio. Marty ruined that for me.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
One my favorite accent days was when I had to work at one of the dock warehouses in New Orleans. Strange mix of English, Creole, and something else. The supervisor there looked like the huge dude from the Green Mile. Only understood the last two words of every sentence which was-- "MotherF*****!"

I worked a large construction project in Houston that had much of the labor force coming in from Louisiana. It took me a solid week to understand my contractor's QC guy.

Also, when I go home, I'm told I sound Southern. Down here, everyone immediately calls me a Yankee when they hear me speak.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not a producer but I am guessing easy content filler.

Except almost the entirety of callers on local sports shows are horribly awkward and cringeworthy, and rarely equate to much more than someone saying "how about that game, pretty good, huh?" with the occasional person asking what time and channel the next game is on. I can't really think of any content that wouldn't be better.

At least the New Sharon guy gives some excitement because he seems to be on the verge of saying something totally inappropriate at any given second.