Cyclone Fans Really Want HB

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Yep, GMac needs to get him.... If he doesn't....just shows me that he will never get a player of this caliber...ever. This is his best chance....and better not blow it.

Wonder what would happen if "World Peace" depended upon what a 17 year old kid ate for breakfast....:confused:....?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
There have been many examples of "hometown" kids going elsewhere because of various reasons. I'll give you Jon Scheyer for example.
There may be examples, but Scheyer sure ain't one of 'em. Scheyer wasn't a "hometown" recruit at all - he was from the Chicago suburbs - Northbrook, I believe.
Give me an example of Weber losing a recruit from Champaign - then we can talk.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There may be examples, but Scheyer sure ain't one of 'em. Scheyer wasn't a "hometown" recruit at all - he was from the Chicago suburbs - Northbrook, I believe.

Right. It's not so much that HB is an instate kid like Collison, LaFrentz or Hinrich. HE'S FROM AMES. His mom works for ISU. He's grown up a Cyclone and gone to countless games at Hilton in his life. He plays with McDermott's son. Comparing this to Scheyer is apples to oranges.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I really don't think the hometown thing matters as much as some people think. In the end Barnes will choose the school that is the best for him and location will probably barely factor into his decision.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
What do you call Craig Brackins? He was a big time recruit.

What do you call losing every freaking road game in conference this season? It means that this guy needs more talent on the floor, since he can't even win with a guy like Brackins on the team.....GMac is walking on very thin ice right now.....this could boost his confidence, getting another player of a high caliber......as well as help the basketball team's direction as a whole.....He needs to get Harrison Barns wearing cardinal and gold.

With all that has gone wrong in the hiring of GMac....(whichI feel that he needs one more year....but if he struggles again...he has got to go.) Thus, he needs to get HB to save himself too....if next year is also a bomb.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

Hometown was a bad choice of words but the point still remains I wouldn't blame Harrison at all if he went to Duke. It would also be ridiculous to blame McDermott if he went there. For a lot of kids, a Duke offer would be too good to pass up.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Gosh, do you think when JP hired GMAC he said, I hear there is a good kid playing in the Ames area. Do you think your career should hinge on recruiting him?
Honestly, HB will go where ever he feels the most comfortable. I am not so pompous as to say he should go to ISU because of this or that. If GMAC doesnt get him and we have another poor season I think I will leave this board for a while to let all the "poor mes" out there vent and whine. The one point I read earlier that I think GMAC may be able to exploit is big fish in a little pond. At Duke he will be remembered as one of many. At ISU he will be remembered as one of a few. I am just glad I am not on the recruiting trail with them. HB, if you are reading this. Stay at home, flourish for a year, help us out and go be one heck of a pro.

MillerTime

Sep 29, 2008
Ames
We do? He sure did not look all that incredible last night. He is a good HS player, but he did not dominate.

I'm sure you were being recruited by tons of DI schools when you were a junior. It must have been nice to have a front row seat for the Duke/UNC game as well. You're right, not dominant at all... :jimlad:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I think you guys are being a little harsh on hos. He never said he wouldn't take him or anything like that. He just said that Barnes didn't dominate or really take over the game.

I thought the same thing. His outside shot was off (but looked smooth), he didn't get in the paint a ton and there were a few times he had a hard time finishing in traffic, he lost the ball on a fast break, and he didn't seem overly interested in defense and rebounding. You'd think he would own the glass with his athletic advantage.

With that said, hell yes I want him on our team. He'd start for us right now.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
There's some doubt that Weber even offered this guy, so I don't know how he could "lose" him. Illinois' interest was limited at best, as they have tremendous talent coming in.
I wouldn't call our interest in Barnes "limited."

My point is that it happens.....17-18 year old kids always do not make the choices we think they should....:wink:

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
His 6 dunks were dominating!

Don't really care how many times he dunks in a game. Seriously, when you're that tall you better be dunking several times a game.

As for this dominating talk, I don't know what people expect him to do. Dominating doesn't mean your entire game is a highlight reel and it doesn't mean putting up ridiculous numbers. It means being in control of a game and doing what's needed of you at any given time.

The other thing that needs to be considered is that HB isn't the only talented player on the floor last night. He's the most talented, but there are other future D1 players on his team and on his opponents. To me, what he did last night against a good Linn-Mar team is way more impressive than somebody like Dykstra putting up gaudy numbers against some weak 1A team. Knowing that he has other talent on his team and having trust in them is also a sign of maturity.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Don't really care how many times he dunks in a game. Seriously, when you're that tall you better be dunking several times a game.

As for this dominating talk, I don't know what people expect him to do. Dominating doesn't mean your entire game is a highlight reel and it doesn't mean putting up ridiculous numbers. It means being in control of a game and doing what's needed of you at any given time.

The other thing that needs to be considered is that HB isn't the only talented player on the floor last night. He's the most talented, but there are other future D1 players on his team and on his opponents. To me, what he did last night against a good Linn-Mar team is way more impressive than somebody like Dykstra putting up gaudy numbers against some weak 1A team. Knowing that he has other talent on his team and having trust in them is also a sign of maturity.

Harrison wanted to win the game. He isn't out to pad his stats. He really plays within the system. To me, that says it all. Yeah, he didn't dominate at all. I think they said last night that Ames only won two games by less than 17 points all season, except for the championship game. But that isn't dominance. :confused:

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines

I liked this.
I also think and feel that extolling Harrison's future at Iowa State as the "second coming" is a mistake. He appears to be a somewhat shy and reserved young man. We all have heard people much smarter than I, analyze HB's potential play.
They have said that he averages a double double in high school (20-10), he will average a double double in college, and he will do the same in the pro's.

He isn't a Rick Mount or a Pete Maravich, nor does he want to be.

He wants to be as good as he possibly can be, and he wants to win championships. Given Coach Mac's ability to coach and bring along big men, I think Harrison could do much worse in his choice of schools with regard to his development as a player.

Go Cyclones :yes:

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Threads like this just make me dread the meltdown to come.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron