CW POD: Is pro wrestling fun again?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How's the UFC merger gonna work? Are they going to make UFC any different or will it remain separate?

Well, I mean, I think Power Slap is run by the same people (Dana White is involved with it, which leads me to that conclusion) - and outside of the connections the two organizations have nothing to do with one another. I'm thinking it'll likely be the same way outside of promotional stuff.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I didn't love Reigns going over in the moment but I get it. The money in Cody is in the chase and they'll extend that a few more months. Cody gets the belt eventually, the problem is that it might not be until SummerSlam 2024. I worry that they're going to struggle to keep him hot.

I think they got Dwayne to commit to Mania next year and the only way that means anything is if Reigns is still the guy. Plus, if they wait until SS 2024, Reigns passes Hogan. I have no doubt that Heyman will be able to keep that story interesting for another year. Could be totally wrong, of course

I question Cody Rhodes' ability to stay over for that long. I think with the right booking he could stay over enough to win at this year's SummerSlam, but in today's pro wrestling fan environment no way does he stay this kind of over to chase a title for 18 months - especially someone who has struggled connecting with audiences his entire career.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Well, I mean, I think Power Slap is run by the same people (Dana White is involved with it, which leads me to that conclusion) - and outside of the connections the two organizations have nothing to do with one another. I'm thinking it'll likely be the same way outside of promotional stuff.
I just worry they will have cross platform confrontations. I think that would be a terrible decision for the UFC model.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How's the UFC merger gonna work? Are they going to make UFC any different or will it remain separate?

I've always been on the edge of being a serious MMA fan but mostly a casual fan, associating with sports soap opera for teen boys really doesn't move the needle for me. I'm sure there's some angle where it makes sense.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I've always been on the edge of being a serious MMA fan but mostly a casual fan, associating with sports soap opera for teen boys really doesn't move the needle for me. I'm sure there's some angle where it makes sense.
I was a hardcore fan but I have less time now and haven't watched it closely for about 5 years. If they did start to mix the products like we're fearing, it would game over for me personally.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I was a hardcore fan but I have less time now and haven't watched it closely for about 5 years. If they did start to mix the products like we're fearing, it would game over for me personally.
What exactly are you fearing? The UFC isn't going to change drastically because the company that owns it bought WWE.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
What exactly are you fearing? The UFC isn't going to change drastically because the company that owns it bought WWE.
Just the typical wrestling story line feuding going between the companies. You already see mild cross over, I fear it will become prominent. I want real fights from the UFC.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Just the typical wrestling story line feuding going between the companies. You already see mild cross over, I fear it will become prominent. I want real fights from the UFC.
The fights in the UFC will always be real. Sure there will be a little promotional cross over here and there but why would Endeavor **** with something that's made them so much money?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I question Cody Rhodes' ability to stay over for that long. I think with the right booking he could stay over enough to win at this year's SummerSlam, but in today's pro wrestling fan environment no way does he stay this kind of over to chase a title for 18 months - especially someone who has struggled connecting with audiences his entire career.
I'm a definitely a Cody guy so, grain of salt, but AEW didn't end up working for him as a performer because that super, super smark crowd had their minds made up from the beginning while not realizing he was the reason AEW was viable. He didn't have trouble getting over big time on the indies and it's hard to take much from his first WWE run because he wasn't ready for that level but he was Dusty's kid so...

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I'm a definitely a Cody guy so, grain of salt, but AEW didn't end up working for him as a performer because that super, super smark crowd had their minds made up from the beginning while not realizing he was the reason AEW was viable. He didn't have trouble getting over big time on the indies and it's hard to take much from his first WWE run because he wasn't ready for that level but he was Dusty's kid so...
Cody definitely played a big part but the Bucks, Kenny, and Being the Elite got the ball rolling and Jericho gave AEW mainstream legitimacy. Pretty sure the super smarks are all well aware of how important Cody was to the company. He was loved and practically worshipped for quite some time but the honeymoon period ended. Cody's booking of himself as the super babyface got old and he refused to turn heel so the fans turned on him. The same thing will happen in WWE eventually.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Back to the OP,......nope.

3 Stooges are as scripted, and much more fun. Major plus, only run 12 minutes.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Worst Raw after Mania ever. Show was **** and crowd was lifeless.

After having slept on it…

1. Raw was still **** last night.

2. The Street Profits are officially dead. It’s now past time to see what Montez Ford can do on a solo run.

3. Expect Raquel Rodriguez and Liv Morgan to be your next women’s tag champs, after Trish Stratus turns on Becky Lynch, setting up their Summer Slam program in Detroit.

4. I was a fool for ever thinking that main event was ever taking place. Brock Lesnar is not going to participate in a tag match - ever.

5. Nobody asked for a Lesnar-Rhodes feud. Nobody wanted a Lesnar-Rhodes feud. But… if (big if) Rhodes goes over Lesnar, Rhodes is a made man as very few get the privilege of beating Lesnar, and he’s propelled back into Roman Reigns orbit. Conversely, while ordinarily even losing to Lesnar can be enough to put someone over, that isn’t the case for Rhodes in this instance. If Rhodes loses to Lesnar, he’s a dead man in WWE and you might as well start preparing the Stardust costume (yeah, I’m exaggerating). So if this is the route creative is going, the only way this works is Rhodes must beat Lesnar.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

2. The Street Profits are officially dead. It’s now past time to see what Montez Ford can do on a solo run.

3. Expect Raquel Rodriguez and Liv Morgan to be your next women’s tag champs, after Trish Stratus turns on Becky Lynch, setting up their Summer Slam program in Detroit.

4. I was a fool for ever thinking that main event was ever taking place. Brock Lesnar is not going to participate in a tag match - ever.

5. Nobody asked for a Lesnar-Rhodes feud. Nobody wanted a Lesnar-Rhodes feud. But… if (big if) Rhodes goes over Lesnar, Rhodes is a made man as very few get the privilege of beating Lesnar, and he’s propelled back into Roman Reigns orbit. Conversely, while ordinarily even losing to Lesnar can be enough to put someone over, that isn’t the case for Rhodes in this instance. If Rhodes loses to Lesnar, he’s a dead man in WWE and you might as well start preparing the Stardust costume (yeah, I’m exaggerating). So if this is the route creative is going, the only way this works is Rhodes must beat Lesnar.

Agree with all of this. I was disappointed we didn't get the things associated with Raw's after Mania which is lots of surprises and maybe a call up. The WTF moment was Rollins coming out to the ring to do nothing? I figured a surprise might of been coming there.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Son of a *****, they kept the belt on Reigns.

I think they had to....it was too "cute" otherwise for the Cody Rhodes story....and i freaking love Cody Rhodes don't get me wrong.

I do like that Reigns had to win dirty.....

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Cody has to go over Lesnar in Saudi, right?

That's the only way this helps anyone. I actually think giving Cody a break from Reigns helps him, very Dusty-Flair booking on that one.

But if the rumors are true with Vince, we're getting Brock-Roman 57 at SummerSlam after Heyman turns on the Bloodline.