MLB: Cubbies new GM?

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
Well if you include Jim Hendry in your list of other GMs the answer is quite a bit.

I understand your point though.

Or GMs who have no resources, who still have good teams (Rays). A good GM can make a huge difference.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
the Cubs. Isn't Z's deal done after this year? Lackey still has three years left on his I believe.

I can't remember, but that would be a compelling reason to keep Z and have a limited problem.

Keeping Z also gives us the excitement of guessing which Cub he will fight this year, guessing when and how he melts down this year, all that good stuff that the retired man brings to the table.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
thekapman David Kaplan
Excellent source with knowledge of negotiations tells me that compensation will be fair but will not include top players on Cubs roster.

Meaning that the Cubs wont be shipping those players to Boston, right?

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
I love the idea of getting Theo, but along with this you have to accept that he is going to come in and build from the ground up. I don't expect any big free agent moves in the off season. Ship of Z to the Marlins because he is buddies with Ozzie, see if you can get some solid prospects for Byrd and Soriano. Cubs will be competing for championships in 2-3 years.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
This is a great hire if true. He does not want to be GM forever and if he wins a WS with the Cubs he will get the President job in a heartbeat and would deserve it. Whatever he decides to do it will be refreshing to have a new GM. Jim Hendry is a very good guy, but he lost momentum and the team tanked. Let's get headed in the right direction.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

I'm not sure what to think about this article. If they had this routine all year, then I don't see a problem with it considering two of the three were the only decent pitchers in the rotation.

Seriously, you're running out Andrew Miller, Tim Wakefield, Kyle Weiland, Erik Bedard, and the corpse of John Lackey and you have the balls to call out the only two starting pitchers on your roster that any other team would want?

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
What has he done lately that any other GM couldn't do with the same resources? Nothing. He was great, but now he's nothing special.

Not saying I want him gone, but I won't care too much if he leaves.

Maybe we can trade him for a couple of kegs of Old Style and a KFC franchise.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Terrific hire if it all pulls through. Theo Epstein is a really really intelligent GM. Guy knows what hes doing. I cant pin the red sox struggles this year on him, or francona for that matter. That was a team of players who just didnt give a ****. Over the 8 years he was in Boston, they had the 2nd most wins in that time period, playoffs 6 of 8 years, 2 world series championships. The guy knows how to get it done and is gonna have some great minds around him too. I know not to expect a fast turn around, but in 3 years the cubs could be back

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
For all the Cards fans and BoSox fans who want to hate, you have to realize that any GM is better than Hendry.
Theo might not be the best GM ever, but it will be an improvement. The rebuilding effort will take time, but I really hope they commit to it. It's better to lose for a few years rebuilding than to lose with overpaid over the hill players and not rebuild at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron