MLB: Cubbies new GM?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I can't believe the ignorance of people who say this about Francona and Epstein. Its not their fault that a guy like Lackey stopped training when he got paid and Carl Crawford got off to a horrible start and couldn't handle it mentally.

I guess what have you done for me lately is just too prevalent.

Half the Red Sox starting rotation was hurt the last half of the year including Beckett who pitched through it most of the 2nd half. Its totally Francona and Epstein's fault for that.

Umm yeah, that's exactly a GM's job, they need to bring in guys who can thrive in their organization. By your logic it's not Hendry's fault that Zambrano was never able to develop into a true ace or that Soriano started declining after two years with the Cubs.

Here's Epstein's major free agent signings since '05: Edgar Renteria, Julio Lugo, J.D. Drew, Daisuke Matsuzaka, John Lackey, Marco Scutaro, Mike Cameron, Carl Crawford and Bobby Jenks. Not a good list at all.

Creed

Mar 14, 2011
Fort Dodge
Umm yeah, that's exactly a GM's job, they need to bring in guys who can thrive in their organization. By your logic it's not Hendry's fault that Zambrano was never able to develop into a true ace or that Soriano started declining after two years with the Cubs.

Here's Epstein's major free agent signings since '05: Edgar Renteria, Julio Lugo, J.D. Drew, Daisuke Matsuzaka, John Lackey, Marco Scutaro, Mike Cameron, Carl Crawford and Bobby Jenks. Not a good list at all.

Well since the free agents aren't good enough for you, how about the trades? Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewitz (defense for WS win), Jason Bay (for Manny Ramirez, Bay was good, manny on the decline), Victor Martinez, Jarrod Saltalamacchia. That looks like a good list to me.

Free Agents: Bill Mueller (batting champ), Kevin Millar (cowboy up), Adrian Beltre (put up over about 30 homeruns and batted over .320), David Ortiz (no need to go further with that one. Point is, every GM makes good and bad decisions. Hindsight is 20/20. And the Red Sox won 2 World Series with him.

Edit: Forgot to even mention Adrian Gonzalez

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Well since the free agents aren't good enough for you, how about the trades? Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewitz (defense for WS win), Jason Bay (for Manny Ramirez, Bay was good, manny on the decline), Victor Martinez, Jarrod Saltalamacchia. That looks like a good list to me.

Free Agents: Bill Mueller (batting champ), Kevin Millar (cowboy up), Adrian Beltre (put up over about 30 homeruns and batted over .320), David Ortiz (no need to go further with that one. Point is, every GM makes good and bad decisions. Hindsight is 20/20. And the Red Sox won 2 World Series with him.

Edit: Forgot to even mention Adrian Gonzalez

Theo Epstein prior to 2005-06 range was a terrific GM. I wouldn't argue that at all. Since then he has been a pretty average GM. He's handed out some terrible contracts and depleted a lot of their farm system. I don't think he's a bad hire at all, but his track record as of late isn't too great.

kas4cy

Sep 11, 2011
Iowa City, IA
I'd be ok with the Cubs hiring Theo. I'd prefer us to get our hands on, who I believe to be the best GM in the game, Andrew Friedman the Ray's GM. Better track record of putting together teams of less to still win 85+ games in the AL East, and developed a system of producing talent and a plethora of pitchers. Theo hired a great manager in Francona, acquired the right free agents, and held onto the players they had... not too much of a record of developing talent, although that being said a lot of the prospects in the Red Sox organization has been traded to acquire players.

I think the approach the Cubs need to take is to develop talent within, and acquire prospects and then combine it with some free-agent talent... this being after we purge 70% of the players on the current roster. With Theo, I feel he's just going to want to get a lot of good players (who happen to be older) and put together a good sabermetric team that will still be a high payroll and I fear will probably age poorly. And then you can end up with a team like this year's Red Sox (although I still think it was an anomaly, that team had no pitching due to injuries and if healthy, should have won 100 games).

Long story short, I hope he'd do well, but I think there is better out there.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Cubbies still have a long ways to go to prove they can do anything besides put butts in the seats.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm 58 -- there have been at least 100 cubs saviors in my life time. And at least 75 in the 45 previous years. Not too concerned.

I hope you are right. Now get me some WS tickets when the Redbirds face the Rangers this year. :smile:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Cubbies still have a long ways to go to prove they can do anything besides put butts in the seats.

This. But getting the right GM in there would be the perfect first step.

I've been hoping for Theo or Friedman (Rays GM) so this would be huge if true.

Cubs management has been WAY too complacent being the "lovable losers" for way too long. That tide is turning with the fans getting so upset and having a proven GM will do wonders for the organization IMO.

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
thekapman David Kaplan
Excellent source with knowledge of negotiations tells me that compensation will be fair but will not include top players on Cubs roster.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
What has he done lately that any other GM couldn't do with the same resources?

Well if you include Jim Hendry in your list of other GMs the answer is quite a bit.

I understand your point though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron