Crazy Golf Stories

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This happened to a group in front of us. I saw a guy sink 4 consecutive drives into a pond that was maybe 50 feet in front of the tee box and was only about 15 feet wide. Dude was apoplectic. He then threw his driver into the pond. Then his 3 wood. Then an iron. Then another iron. Finally his buddy stopped him before he drowned his entire golf bag.

It went from relatable to comical to hysterical to troubling to straight up wondering if I needed to be afraid for anyone's safety.

whatthewhat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2019
Freshmen golf in a 3A school a long time ago. My teammate, in our foursome, puts three balls in the water on a short par 3. His next shot hits the tee marker and bounces about twenty yards in back and to the left of us.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Grew up golfing on a short, very simple 9-hole course in North Dakota. One gorgeous day me and a buddy were for some reason just about the only people there, I think we saw 6 other people the whole day so we never had to wait to hit. We started just after noon, flew through the first 9 holes and kept going.

Most holes were a driver and a wedge, so we didn't have to spend any time picking a club....knew the greens like the back of our hand and they weren't terribly complex to begin with. Already knew what we hit into every par 3. Just kept playing......and playing......never rushing just playing ready golf with one cart, could pull right up next to every tee and green. Both of us were playing well, par was 34 and we were both consistently shooting 35-37 all day.

Around 8pm we called it a day, counted the score cards....we had knocked out 90 holes in just under 8 hours. ~45 minutes per round for 10 rounds. Youth is a fantastic thing because my current lower back surrenders about 5 minutes after finishing 18 these days.
My record when I was a kid was 54 holes, but it was extremely hot (heat waves visible on the fairway) and I walked it. I had some degree of heat exhaustion when I was done, because I had a migraine and was throwing up. Good times

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Playing out at River Valley in Adel with my wife around 10 years ago. Hole 5, the par 5 that takes a hard left over the water. She laid up to the end of the fairway so has a shot over the water to the green. She blades the hell out of it, her ball smokes a goose that’s on the edge of the water squarely in the chest. The goose straight collapses on the edge of the water. We drive over the water and the goose gets up, takes a few steps out into the water flapping like crazy and collapses again. Don’t think we finished the hole on that one.

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Not really a crazy story but we have a family friend that golfs 100 holes every year on the longest day of the year (June 21st). The town he lives in has one 9 hole country club. The owner of the course lets him show up and start golfing as early as he is able to see that day and he plays through the course 11 times and adds on the one extra hole to get to 100. I'm interested to see what age he stops doing this at.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Not really a crazy story at all, but a few weeks ago a group of us were playing a 9 hole course and played it twice to get in 18 total. During both rounds the group behind us hit into us on the exact same hole, which is a shorter par 4 where you can't see the green.

After the second time they catch us a few holes later and ask if they hit into us and one of my buddies hardly let him finish before saying "no worries." Well this dude then proceeds to tell us "we are playing for money" and wants to know how the shot he hit straight ended up off to the right because he thought we messed with his ball. It bounced to the right because it hit one of our carts. Not really a big deal but this guy was a douche about it after he hit into us.....and I don't give a **** if you are playing for money.

Last edited by a moderator:

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I had a $100 bet on a round with a buddy. Going into hole 18 he was up 5 strokes. I proceeded to dunk it on a par 5 from 225 out for an Albatross, he proceeded to triple hole due to a water ball and bad putting. I ended up winning by 1 stroke. To this day I remind every time we play and he is winning on hole 18 that it isn't over until its over.

I have also witnessed 2 terrible golf shots turn into Ace's. The only 2 I have ever seen, and both were terrible shots. One flew the green, hit a tree and roled back into the hole, and the other was a worm burner all the way to the hole.

One of the most annoying ridiculous things I have seen was playing in a 2 man best shot tourney, and one of the guys on the other team would pace off every shot within 100 yards. Ball to hole, every time.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Was playing in a 4-man best shot a couple of years ago. 8-inch cup at Legacy in Norwalk. Guy in our group makes a hole-in-one on #17. He speaks of it to this day as a hole-in-one, and of course we let him buy us drinks, but what is the call from the board? Yea or nay?
Nope. Heck, even shots that land in a regulation hole, but get stuck outside the cup itself don't count.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Playing a round at Lake Panorama, hit my tee shot skimming the water and landed 5 inches from cup. Rest of round was BS

Reactions: HFCS

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Was playing in a 4-man best shot a couple of years ago. 8-inch cup at Legacy in Norwalk. Guy in our group makes a hole-in-one on #17. He speaks of it to this day as a hole-in-one, and of course we let him buy us drinks, but what is the call from the board? Yea or nay?
No way.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My friend was doing the waggles for like two full minutes and just as he was finally swinging a frog jumped on his ball. He launched the ball and the frog with a pitching wedge from about 40 yards out. He holed the frog. Ball was on green but probably 20 feet from cup.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
I've had several hole in ones, all on par threes, but my most memorable hole outs on a course was while not playing golf.

• Haha
Reactions: ajspatio19

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Craziest I've done: I got a hole in 1 on back-to-back weekends, same course using the same club (different holes)

Craziest I've seen: Police chase on the course at Jester Park

On foot police chase or like the cop car on the cart paths or across the fairways type chase?

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
Guy I play with a lot and who is a pretty decent golfer was teeing off on a hole that has a line houses down the right hand side. There was a group of 4 people sitting in chairs on one of the back patios, no fence or trees between us and them. I just measured it on google earth and that patio is 60 yards from the tee. The guy hit a low, slicing bullet of a drive that was heading directly at them. It looked like it had no shot of missing them. The only thing that saved them was a single white OB stake on their property line. The ball hit that stake and shot off back into play.

Reactions: NWICY

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Was golfing in Boone at Cedar Pointe during the Rhoads era. Was finishing up putting on a par 3 and leaving the green to the next tee. Jared Barnett, and Josh Lenz (currently playing at ISU) were teeing off on the hole I just finished. Josh Lenz hits his tee shot and comes within 1 foot of a hole in one. To this day the closest I have ever seen someone come to hitting a hole in one...