Crazy Golf Stories

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
In the mid 1990s I was working for Ford and was buying equipment near San Diego California. I would spend two weeks at a time there and about 12 weeks total. An engineer for the company from which I was buying the equipment loaned me his San Diego County Residence Golf Card. This card allowed me to play Torrey Pines at an 18 hole Twilight Rate of $15 after work. It was unbelievable.

View attachment 114229
I played Torrey Pines in March and loved it. I’ll be back next Feb and should be able to play it again. Lots of walkers on the course, but they keep things moving.
I believe non-resident fees are ~$225 (walking) during the week but there’s also the tee time fee of $47/player just t make the tee time. Some people I was with were residents and they paid about $70 to golf.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I've hit a cow on a tee shot. Couple weeks ago I hit an iron a *little thin, smoked a tree 30 yards off the green and it came back with a near perfect roll that missed the hole by a couple inches.
Speaking of cow. I was playing with two gals as we were forced to join them. Horrible golfers. 2nd hole a par 5 along a cow pasture. One gal smokes her drive along the pasture fence so I drive over there mumbling this day is going to suck. I look and look and then I see a bright white object in the a** of a cow! So I hop the fence. Sure enough it's a golf ball. They pull up and see me standing next to the cow and I call the gal to the fence. I lift the cows tail and say ... "hey does this look like yours?".
I woke up 3 days later in the hospital with a massive wound to my skull caused by her 3 wood.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Speaking of cow. I was playing with two gals as we were forced to join them. Horrible golfers. 2nd hole a par 5 along a cow pasture. One gal smokes her drive along the pasture fence so I drive over there mumbling this day is going to suck. I look and look and then I see a bright white object in the a** of a cow! So I hop the fence. Sure enough it's a golf ball. They pull up and see me standing next to the cow and I call the gal to the fence. I lift the cows tail and say ... "hey does this look like yours?".
I woke up 3 days later in the hospital with a massive wound to my skull caused by her 3 wood.
Wait…. Can you go in to a bit more detail on the last sentence?

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
Last summer while playing at Otter Creek in Ankeny I scored 2-2’s in a row. I holed out from 120 on the par 4 12th then holed a 25 foot putt for birdie 2 on the par 3 13th. Didn’t really think about how rare consecutive 2’s are at the time (at least for hackers like me), but someone mentioned it in the clubhouse.

Reactions: FerShizzle

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
How so? We were playing match play and even if we weren't, par\eagle vs eagle\par is still a push.
He was thinking stroke play. Your friend would be up 2 going into 18 and you got both back to push.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Before my wedding 32 years ago a NY buddy of mine I met in the Navy came back for the wedding. We played a round at Grandview and needless to say he had never played. He was using his 1 wood even out in the fairway. He hit a 1 wood on the par3 4th hole 90 yards. It came with in an inch of a hole in one.

My best friend and I were golfing at Grandview years later and in the foursome ahead of us included Iowa Amateur Champion Mike McCoy. They all hit amazing first shots at the par 4 1st hole. We waited a bit for them to clear the green but you can’t tell because of the hill. My friend hit a bomb and me not so much. We went looking for his ball by the green and couldn’t find it. McCoy holler’s back to check the hole. He said the ball hit his foot as he was putting and went in. We apologized for hitting and asked if it was a hole in one. McCoy said it absolutely was a hole in one and not to apologize for a great shot.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I haven’t seen a hole in one, but the closest I got was last year. Playing a scramble, the girl in our group smokes a drive but the hole is so uphill you can’t see the green, had no idea she put it inside a foot.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I was golfing at Woodside with a couple of old timers. We were on a par 3 with a creek in front. A mother goose was walking in front of the t-box with her little ones. I told her she needed to get out of the way and not to trust me. I ended up hitting the ball straight into her side. She was honking mad. One of the old guys didn’t miss a beat when he said, “I don’t know why she’s so mad you warned her.”

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Kid my wife babysitted for, ended up being a very good player. In high school, he decided to raise money for this one kid who had a lot of health problems. He wanted to see how many holes he cold play in one day. He ended up playing over 20 rounds of golf in one day in the middle of June.

Reactions: NWICY

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Kid my wife babysitted for, ended up being a very good player. In high school, he decided to raise money for this one kid who had a lot of health problems. He wanted to see how many holes he cold play in one day. He ended up playing over 20 rounds of golf in one day in the middle of June.
20 18 hole rounds? In a day? I think that's a world record...by quite a margin. Even 20 9 hole rounds would be tough to pull off (but could be done).

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
A few different stories. Two I witnessed and the other two had multiple people tell me about them.

At Homewood in Ames, the guy I was golfing against put his shot into a dead tree. Ball went between the bark that was falling off and the tree. Pic attached.

Last year when tailgating at the RV lots, a kid got a hole in one at Coldwater while we were hanging out.

My dads buddy was out golfing for his birthday with buddies. They were having a surprise birthday party for him up at the clubhouse. He got a hole in one that day and had a spend birthday.

Lastly, I heard that there was someone at Veenker last year that slammed a club out of anger on a hole and it broke the club. The club apparently then his the guys leg and caught an artery.

Attachments

• 20230619_190415.jpg
    20230619_190415.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 39

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Grew up golfing on a short, very simple 9-hole course in North Dakota. One gorgeous day me and a buddy were for some reason just about the only people there, I think we saw 6 other people the whole day so we never had to wait to hit. We started just after noon, flew through the first 9 holes and kept going.

Most holes were a driver and a wedge, so we didn't have to spend any time picking a club....knew the greens like the back of our hand and they weren't terribly complex to begin with. Already knew what we hit into every par 3. Just kept playing......and playing......never rushing just playing ready golf with one cart, could pull right up next to every tee and green. Both of us were playing well, par was 34 and we were both consistently shooting 35-37 all day.

Around 8pm we called it a day, counted the score cards....we had knocked out 90 holes in just under 8 hours. ~45 minutes per round for 10 rounds. Youth is a fantastic thing because my current lower back surrenders about 5 minutes after finishing 18 these days.
My dad, who was an avid golfer after I introduced him to the game (I created a monster), was so proud of himself that he was able to do 64 holes when he turned 64. He did that on his birthday. He was more into golf than I was even. I played regularly for maybe 10-15 years and then off and on after that, but I haven't played golf now in at least 20 years. Dad played every weekend until he died of cancer at age 66.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I played Torrey Pines in March and loved it. I’ll be back next Feb and should be able to play it again. Lots of walkers on the course, but they keep things moving.
I believe non-resident fees are ~$225 (walking) during the week but there’s also the tee time fee of $47/player just t make the tee time. Some people I was with were residents and they paid about $70 to golf.
I looked, the twilight rate for a resident during the week is still only $30-$40. Back in the 1990s twilight golf started at like 3pm or something much earlier than you would expect. Considering the difficulty of the course, pace of play was pretty good.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I golfed with a guy named Kinch one time at the Preserve at Rathbun Lake. He kicked my a$$. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Kinch

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
This didn't happen to me personally thank goodness but I saw an insurance claim for a guy who was riding on the back of a golf cart, fell off, essentially did the splits, and broke both of his hips.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last summer we planned on pranking our friend with the “World’s loudest golf ball” and we succeeded-ish.

We went to a public Chicago course along the lake just north of Downtown. Sydney Marovitz for anyone familiar. The friend we were pranking just absolutely shanked his first shot on the first tee and we think it went into Lake Michigan. I was planning on doing it later in the round but I give him a mulligan and throw him the ball and tell him to hit the red as it’s a “self correcting” ball so he doesn’t **** up again. The marshall was a little mad but he understood sort of.

The friend smokes this one and hit it right on the sweet spot for one of the loudest bangs I’ve ever heard from these prank balls. The marshall gets furious, kicks us all off, and says we’re banned (not true, we played a few weeks later).

It was worth the joke as we went back to the bar and just crushed beers on my tab and I paid the boys back for the round.

This video doesn’t give the loudness Justice because the mic’s on phones actually limit that type of noise. But it’s EFFING LOUD

Reactions: Kinch

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron