Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm sorry but I just don't think that way so I can't really answer your questions. I do appreciate the discussion.
Just wanted to add another story. This is from Keith Murphy as he talked about it today on the radio.

An older sounding gentleman called SoundOff Sunday night, and said he was really down. Really missed the escape of sports, and was struggling with being alone. His voice left no doubt. Please remember to check on anyone you think needs it. A phone call, text, letter, can make all the difference. Actually hearing a voice helps.

Also, video shout-outs tonight on here for anyone you think deserves it, needs it for any reason. Just send me a direct message or email [email protected] Thank you.

I will say again I’m not suggesting we should ease restrictions or anything but I think the stories like this have been ignored. It’s a balancing act and it isn’t easy. I don’t have the magic answer because no one does.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Numbers good: make decisions from many layers up to keep it that way no matter what.

Numbers bad: add more positions and talking people, and more steps to the process of just getting the job done but cut positions that were actually vital.

That's my experience anyway.
Yeah that is pretty close. All about keeping cost per widget as low as possible.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just wanted to add another story. This is from Keith Murphy as he talked about it today on the radio.

I will say again I’m not suggesting we should ease restrictions or anything but I think the stories like this have been ignored. It’s a balancing act and it isn’t easy. I don’t have the magic answer because no one does.

Literally no one is saying that it isn’t a balancing act.

but kim should have been on this meat packing thing much sooner and should have anticipated them sending people to other plants. Ignoring a potential problem is dangerous. And this problem could be bad.

also kim should have joined the Midwest governors. It makes me so ******* angry that she hasn’t.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This sounds like Tyson and other packers may have been lying to the state. Iowa OSHA announced earlier today that they had no guidance from federal OSHA and had performed no in-person inspections

Reading the first hand accounts made me sick. The lawsuits that both Tyson and Smithfield are going to end up facing are going to be enormous.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reading the first hand accounts made me sick. The lawsuits that both Tyson and Smithfield are going to end up facing are going to be enormous.

There was a story this morning about DeSantis in FL proposing immunity for care facilities. I wonder if we'll see something similar for packing plants in the midwest.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
There was a story this morning about DeSantis in FL proposing immunity for care facilities. I wonder if we'll see something similar for packing plants in the midwest.
The governors will protect whoever donates the most to their campaigns.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The packing plant situation is a mess and should have been handled differently because it is most likely going to get even messier.

My question is forward looking, what should be done about the packing plants right now? Also what do you do about the livestock that is coming down the pipe? Looking for actual discussion on this. Figure it is a situation we see that hasn't played out that people can place what their plans would be and how they would solve these situations. Easy to look in the rear view mirror and say what you would have done, but now you have to say what you will do.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Zero chance that flies.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The packing plant situation is a mess and should have been handled differently because it is most likely going to get even messier.

My question is forward looking, what should be done about the packing plants right now? Also what do you do about the livestock that is coming down the pipe? Looking for actual discussion on this. Figure it is a situation we see that hasn't played out that people can place what their plans would be and how they would solve these situations. Easy to look in the rear view mirror and say what you would have done, but now you have to say what you will do.

IMO playing by the same set of rules as everyone else would be a hell of a start. Completely ignoring CDC guidelines was not just restless, it was lethal. They didn't even freakin try! It's all good though, we will just import more cheap labor and the machine will continue to run.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
IMO playing by the same set of rules as everyone else would be a hell of a start. Completely ignoring CDC guidelines was not just restless, it was lethal. They didn't even freakin try! It's all good though, we will just import more cheap labor and the machine will continue to run.

That is what happened. We can all see that. My question is, where do we go from here?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

"Hindsight's 20/20," he says, as if this this very scenario isn't the exact type of situation people have been predicting for weeks.

Reactions: NEPatriotscy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
A phrase like "acceptable deaths" makes it seem like more could have been done to prevent some deaths. If/When someone I know dies of this, I'd like to know everything possible was done to have prevented it. Our current situation is temporary. Everyone needs to realize it. Saying life is currently not worth living is shortsighted. Things will loosen up eventually and possibly return to some semblance of normal. People need to be more patient.

That's understandable, but preventing deaths comes down to:
1. Drawing out the spread long enough to ensure hospitals don't get overwhelmed. In Iowa this is happening. There is capacity for people to get all the care they need in a hospital. Sadly for some that is not enough.
2. Keeping the general public from being exposed to the virus. Simply not feasible. This was never the goal. Social distancing, SIP, masks etc. are simply to accomplish goal #1.
3. Keeping spread for at-risk people. This requires long-term care facilities and the people/families themselves to be on really tight lockdown. They still have to have workers, doctors, deliveries, etc. to these facilities, so these types of concentrated outbreaks are going to happen from time to time no matter how well these facilities lock things down. I'm sure there are plenty these places could have done better or sooner, but I don't have any specific knowledge.

Sorry, but there are things we all do in everyday life that is based on "acceptable" number of deaths. If the speed limit on every road was 25 mph, lives would be saved. If added sugar, transfats and alcohol were outlawed lives would be saved.

So, are the steps being taken to slow the spread doing "everything possible?" Of course not. Nor do we do everything possible in many facets of daily lives when we KNOW doing those things would save lives.

What we are doing in Iowa and almost every state is slowing the spread to make sure we have ICU and vent capacity.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Since I have no authority or responsibility, I can certainly look in the rearview mirror.

I don't know what the solution is. I do know that the solution involves testing, testing, and more testing. I do know that the solution does not involve shifting the disease to another city. I also know the solution involves the ******* Iowa government being involved and ensuring that these places had proper stratgies in affect.

My mom said that they are getting a locker this week. The meat supply is going to be ****** and the poor farmers are screwed. As the daughter of a farmer (just crops now, no hogs for 20 years), I can't help but think they brought this ineptitude on themselves. Don't vote for ******* idiots, farmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron