Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The packing plant situation is a mess and should have been handled differently because it is most likely going to get even messier.

My question is forward looking, what should be done about the packing plants right now? Also what do you do about the livestock that is coming down the pipe? Looking for actual discussion on this. Figure it is a situation we see that hasn't played out that people can place what their plans would be and how they would solve these situations. Easy to look in the rear view mirror and say what you would have done, but now you have to say what you will do.

Disinfect, get test results, and have those that were negative work to make it as productive as possible? Spitballing.

Grocers may need to extend limits on how many items including meat for what people can buy.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
"Hindsight's 20/20," he says, as if this this very scenario isn't the exact type of situation people have been predicting for weeks.

I don't know anyone in their right mind that would have thought that a company like this would shut down one plant and send all the workers to another. I guess it could just be me, but Tyson and Smithfield handled this horribly.

These are essential jobs. The companies need to think of ways to mitigate the spread of the virus, yes. We have just finally been able to get our hands on enough masks for employees, but up until a couple days ago we were allowing people to bring their own masks whether cloth or otherwise, because we couldn't get any. Some employees can't be separated because of the layout of the equipment in the facility and slowing down won't help, we have put barriers between employees in these locations. We are going to start taking everyone's temperatures when coming into work within the next week (this is not an easy undertaking and things need shifted and trailers for outside staffed 24hr need to be put in place.

Frankly many companies are trying their best to continue to serve the consumers and trying to make it as safe as possible for their employees and yes Tyson and Smithfield screwed the pooch, but being able to predict that for weeks without knowledge of what is going on within the plants is ridiculous.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here's the WH guidance on the three steps to "reopen" things:

note: no mention of testing or contact tracing

That may require admitting that it's not contained or that those tests really aren't available.

Antibody tests were supposed start to be put out there this week but I really haven't seen much about it.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Here's the WH guidance on the three steps to "reopen" things:

note: no mention of testing or contact tracing

It’s like myself and some friends sat down to give a broad PowerPoint overview on opening back up, without really doing anything.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Just wanted to add another story. This is from Keith Murphy as he talked about it today on the radio.

I will say again I’m not suggesting we should ease restrictions or anything but I think the stories like this have been ignored. It’s a balancing act and it isn’t easy. I don’t have the magic answer because no one does.

You are suggesting easing restrictions, and consistently have been the whole time.

Reactions: NEPatriotscy

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
I will cut to the chase. There is no other way of stating it. Reynolds has been pathetic in the way she has dealt with this virus. As someone (I think on this thread) said, she has been reactive (if that even) instead of proactive from way, way back. I was stating this exact thing several weeks ago when I was met with objections (especially from Acylum). I will grade her just barely above Kristi Noem of SD. I find it disgusting that IA, ND, SD, and MO has not agreed to join the consortium of other Midwest States to coordinate the fight against this awful virus.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It’s like myself and some friends sat down to give a broad PowerPoint overview on opening back up, without really doing anything.

And just from a transmission standpoint WTF in their right mind would put opening gyms back up in phase 1?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I will cut to the chase. There is no other way of stating it. Reynolds has been pathetic in the way she has dealt with this virus. As someone (I think on this thread) said, she has been reactive (if that even) instead of proactive from way, way back. I was stating this exact thing several weeks ago when I was met with objections (especially from Acylum). I will grade her just barely above Kristi Noem of SD. I find it disgusting that IA, ND, SD, and MO has not agreed to join the consortium of other Midwest States to coordinate the fight against this awful virus.

I'm not a fan of Kim nor do I think that she has handled this well either but let me play devils advocate for a second. Maybe I'm overestimating her critical thinking skills here but what if she doesn't want to be lumped in with states like IL, MI and OH because she's afraid they are going to be pressured into opening up too soon and doesn't want to be handcuffed to them?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not a fan of Kim nor do I think that she has handled this well either but let me play devils advocate fro a second. Maybe I'm overestimating her critical thinking skills here but what if she doesn't want to be lumped in with states like IL, MI and OH because she's afraid they are going to be pressured into opening up too soon and doesn't want to be handcuffed to them?

Yeah, I doubt that is it.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I'm not a fan of Kim nor do I think that she has handled this well either but let me play devils advocate fro a second. Maybe I'm overestimating her critical thinking skills here but what if she doesn't want to be lumped in with states like IL, MI and OH because she's afraid they are going to be pressured into opening up too soon and doesn't want to be handcuffed to them?
Those states are the ones not wanting to fast act when coming to opening things up, so I doubt that’s it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Those states are the ones not wanting to fast act when coming to opening things up, so I doubt that’s it.

Yeah I get that but those states are also going to feel more pressure from this administration compared to the States Iowa is associated with.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Here's a question I have. How many businesses are closed that aren't stores or restaurants?

They keep saying that they need to get people back to work. Well, it seems like most people in Iowa (at least) are either working from home or work in stores and restaurants. So does getting people back to work mean opening all of the restaurants? When they are telling us that we should wear face masks in public?

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah I get that but those states are also going to feel more pressure from this administration compared to the States Iowa is associated with.

Why do you think that? I find it hard to believe Kim won't do what Donny wants her to.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't know anyone in their right mind that would have thought that a company like this would shut down one plant and send all the workers to another. I guess it could just be me, but Tyson and Smithfield handled this horribly.

These are essential jobs. The companies need to think of ways to mitigate the spread of the virus, yes. We have just finally been able to get our hands on enough masks for employees, but up until a couple days ago we were allowing people to bring their own masks whether cloth or otherwise, because we couldn't get any. Some employees can't be separated because of the layout of the equipment in the facility and slowing down won't help, we have put barriers between employees in these locations. We are going to start taking everyone's temperatures when coming into work within the next week (this is not an easy undertaking and things need shifted and trailers for outside staffed 24hr need to be put in place.

Frankly many companies are trying their best to continue to serve the consumers and trying to make it as safe as possible for their employees and yes Tyson and Smithfield screwed the pooch, but being able to predict that for weeks without knowledge of what is going on within the plants is ridiculous.

Gosh, how could they have possibly known that those infected workers would spread the virus to others.

Even more astonishing is that taking workers from those plants and transferring them to another plant with no quarantine time could lead to other infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron