Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The next few days are going to be really important in determining the model's accuracy. It said WA peaked. Couple days ago, and NY is peaking today. If these states do start turning around by the end of the week, I think you can be pretty confident in the model results for other states. If not, then it's back to the drawing board.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Bob Brown Chevy called us today to see if we'd be interested in coming in and looking at a new car for my wife. lol
giphy.gif

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Bob Brown Chevy called us today to see if we'd be interested in coming in and looking at a new car for my wife. lol

I've got a lease ending at the end of the month. It's been great. They've dropped a couple cars right in my driveway and left for me to drive. Hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes on the door handle, been great. I'm going to be pissed when I have to shop traditionally in the future.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Not a huge techy, but can hold my own..

WHO is recommending using digital payments like Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc. instead of your cash or debit/crebit cards. Does anyone use them or had success using them? Do most stores accept them?

I'm most concerned about giving away payment information to another party and creating more cyber issues? Do credit cards still honor the same fraud protections?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've got a lease ending at the end of the month. It's been great. They've dropped a couple cars right in my driveway and left for me to drive. Hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes on the door handle, been great. I'm going to be pissed when I have to shop traditionally in the future.

Maybe they find something in this to change the way they provide people their cars.

I saw an ad for an auto shop that is picking up cars to take to service. Personally I think it's not a good answer for fighting the spread, but maybe one day if it's not spreading they can use that as a form of service.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

WHO is recommending using digital payments like Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc. instead of your cash or debit/crebit cards. Does anyone use them or had success using them? Do most stores accept them?

I'm most concerned about giving away payment information to another party and creating more cyber issues? Do credit cards still honor the same fraud protections?

I've used Google Pay almost exclusively since this all began so I don't have to touch anything. I just wave my phone and that's it. It's as secure as using a credit/debit card.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

they're fairly widely used. For places that use them, a lot depends on the receiver technology. Sometimes it's great, often not, because nobody like to invest more than they "have" to in that stuff.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I have to admit at Hy Vee, Caseys, etc. I've found it comical they tape off 6 feet, put the plastic shield up, etc., but we all continue to touch the same display pad for debit card transactions...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It is a shame we can't trust the data coming out of China. With Wuhan really opening back up now, it would give us some great data points on what we may expect when easing restrictions.

Yeah I can't believe for a second they had zero deaths in a day.

May have to see what someone like Italy does.

Deaths and reported cases have been on a lower trajectory.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have to admit at Hy Vee, Caseys, etc. I've found it comical they tape off 6 feet, put the plastic shield up, etc., but we all continue to touch the same display pad for debit card transactions...

I'm keeping a disinfectant wipe with me and wiping that pad down prior and card down as soon as it gets out of the slot.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The next few days are going to be really important in determining the model's accuracy. It said WA peaked. Couple days ago, and NY is peaking today. If these states do start turning around by the end of the week, I think you can be pretty confident in the model results for other states. If not, then it's back to the drawing board.

I must be missing something. Is this the model people are debating whether or not is an accurate projection of how well Iowa's hospital capacity is going to hold up?
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/iowa

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like it's projecting Iowa will need 329 hospital beds in use due to COVID-19 by tomorrow and shows about a 10% increase per day in those needs for another week before that rate of increase starts to slow down.

We currently have 104 people hospitalized due to COVID-19 in Iowa, and the net change was 0 from yesterday to today. I think the best you could say is that's a fluke and our rate of beds needed will ramp up again and the trend could end up being accurate.

Where that model says we'll be tomorrow is way off.

EDIT: As State10 pointed out, the hospitalized number was lagging and is now updated to 122, which makes a lot more sense than already having a net zero for a day.

So there still looks like there's plenty of capacity, but if we have another couple of >15% increases in that number over the next couple of days then we are looking at a trend that makes me a lot more concerned.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not sure if anyone has said this already, but the websites that update everyday didn't update for a while in regards to the hospitalization number. We're now at 122, which is 18 more than we had yesterday.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I'm not sure if anyone has said this already, but the websites that update everyday didn't update for a while in regards to the hospitalization number. We're now at 122, which is 18 more than we had yesterday.
Sounds like we still have tons of room which is good, but in a few weeks I’d rather not get close to cap room

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I must be missing something. Is this the model people are debating whether or not is an accurate projection of how well Iowa's hospital capacity is going to hold up?
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/iowa

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like it's projecting Iowa will need 329 hospital beds in use due to COVID-19 by tomorrow and shows about a 10% increase per day in those needs for another week before that rate of increase starts to slow down.

We currently have 104 people hospitalized due to COVID-19 in Iowa, and the net change was 0 from yesterday to today. I think the best you could say is that's a fluke and our rate of beds needed will ramp up again and the trend could end up being accurate.

Where that model says we'll be tomorrow is way off.

Something about the assumptions made by the models has changed. It goes well beyond taking into account the efforts being made to maintain social distance and working from home.

Maybe testing is indicating it's less virulent than originally thought, or herd immunity is farther along than is commonly believed.

Hopefully there is real data behind the revision because it is a radical departure from the doomsday scenarios that were operative until Monday. The public has a right (need?) to know how these projections turned on a dime.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

That makes a lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron