Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Something about the assumptions made by the models has changed. It goes well beyond taking into account the efforts being made to maintain social distance and working from home.

Maybe testing is indicating it's less virulent than originally thought, or herd immunity is farther along than is commonly believed.

Hopefully there is real data behind the revision because it is a radical departure from the someday scenarios that were operative until Monday. The public has a right (need?) to know how these projections turned on a dime.

Don't antibody tests give us a more accurate depiction and maybe a better data point for projections?

They're at least more useful than a general negative test imo.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Don't antibody tests give us a more accurate depiction and maybe a better data point for projections?

They're at least more useful than a general negative test imo.

Oh absolutely.

I just was not aware of their widespread use yet anywhere in the world, though. Last I had read they were still being developed and tested for accuracy.

And don't get me wrong, a model for an outbreak is just that. Subject to any amount of GIGO errors. I just was shocked that the understanding of what was actually going on would need to be revised to that degree.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So I was told about a family friend that runs a salon in a small town in Iowa, and was posting on FB that they're going to be open starting May 1. Will they be allowed to open up?

I get that the income will be hard to come by. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a Gofundme, and if enough people pay in like $20 (many would), they make enough for the time being since they're relying on other people for their income anyway?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I have to admit at Hy Vee, Caseys, etc. I've found it comical they tape off 6 feet, put the plastic shield up, etc., but we all continue to touch the same display pad for debit card transactions...
I was at HyVee on Monday night and they wipe down the entire area you set your groceries as well as the card scanner between each customer.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oh absolutely.

I just was not aware of their widespread use yet anywhere in the world, though. Last I had read they were still being developed and tested for accuracy.

Yeah earliest I've seen is May, which I'm guessing is too early of an estimate. I actually wonder if we keep seeing these 'peaks' pushed out if numbers stay lower, then if/when mass antibody tests become available, we get a better hold of what's really happening and what could happen.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
So I was told about a family friend that runs a salon in a small town in Iowa, and was posting on FB that they're going to be open starting May 1. Will they be allowed to open up?

I get that the income will be hard to come by. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a Gofundme, and if enough people pay in like $20 (many would), they make enough for the time being since they're relying on other people for their income anyway?

They will be allowed to open unless the Governor extends her SIP order ;)

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Something about the assumptions made by the models has changed. It goes well beyond taking into account the efforts being made to maintain social distance and working from home.

Maybe testing is indicating it's less virulent than originally thought, or herd immunity is farther along than is commonly believed.

Hopefully there is real data behind the revision because it is a radical departure from the doomsday scenarios that were operative until Monday. The public has a right (need?) to know how these projections turned on a dime.
http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

Every time they update the method, the publish how the method changed. You can read a complete history, from the original model up through the last method update (4/7).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Always best to wipe it down after taking it out of the slot.

ConsciousFondAfricanbushviper-small.gif

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

Hopefully there is real data behind the revision because it is a radical departure from the doomsday scenarios that were operative until Monday. The public has a right (need?) to know how these projections turned on a dime.

I don't want to start another argument about the U. of Wash projections, but their model is very reactionary. And by "very" I mean extremely. I'm not saying it's worthless, but it's like setting a point spread for a game and then changing it every 5 minutes after the game starts. Of course then at the end you can say "See, we nailed it!" It wasn't very long ago it was predicting 3800 deaths in Iowa by 8/1.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't want to start another argument about the U. of Wash projections, but their model is very reactionary. And by "very" I mean extremely. I'm not saying it's worthless, but it's like setting a point spread for a game and then changing it every 5 minutes after the game starts. Of course then at the end you can say "See, we nailed it!" It wasn't very long ago it was predicting 3800 deaths in Iowa by 8/1.
Aren't the 61k death projections all based on the assumption that they are doing what Wuhan did in terms of mitigation

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Aren't the 61k death projections all based on the assumption that they are doing what Wuhan did in terms of mitigation

Analytic and methods updates
COVID-19 death model. Our April 5 release involved a number of major methods updates for the IHME COVID-19 death model (read more here). With today’s release, we have incorporated the following updates:

• We now ensure that draws from the predictive validity uncertainty distributions are correlated over time, a model refinement that generates smoother estimates of uncertainty.
  • Based on the now multiple iterations of our COVID-19 death model, we have noticed that, for at least some US states, there are massive fluctuations in the number of COVID-19 deaths reported each day. These substantial day-to-day vacillations are more likely due to an artefact in how statewide deaths are being compiled and then reported each day than actual fluctuations in COVID-19 deaths. As a result, our reported predictions – that you can view and download from the online visualization tool – are now based on averaging the last three rounds of predictions. In other words, what is shown today (April 7) is the average of model predictions from reported COVID-19 death data up to April 4 (model 1), data up to April 5 (model 2), and data up to April 7 (model 3). We view this as an important refinement that helps to strengthen model stability and buffer predictions from data fluctuations less related to observed epidemic patterns and more driven by variable data collection or reporting practices.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think what we may see as we reopen is more targeted recommendations versus the across the board closures we have today. Perhaps stores, restaurants, and offices open back up in May, but the government continues to recommend individuals in those high risk groups to continue to avoid going out and continue to work from home if possible.

My employer just informed us yesterday that whenever the all clear goes out to return to the office, it is not required to return. They said if you need to continue at home for whatever reason (high risk yourself, high risk family member, childcare closures, etc). I think that kind of approach would be good for jobs that can go remote. Let people make their own determinations about the appropriate level of exposure for their personal situation.

Late on this but I think that's a very smart approach. If our daycare and offices open at similar times, I'm debating send the child but staying home another few weeks. My guess is he may be exposed (or pick up whatever germs hes missed out on!) and then that limits us from spreading it to our offices right away.

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Reportedly did.

I think it's assuming we keep it up through May, which it looks like won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron