Compare Iowa and ISU basketball (men)

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Iowa is getting more bang for the buck. They have been very close at home and on the road throughout the season. They are doing this with a similar group of players compared to ISU.

ISU seems to play without confidence unless at the Hilton. This too seems to be a current pattern.

What is your take?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Iowa's close games are more a result of the style of play in the big 10 than it is Iowa being better. I'm not saying the competition is worse, I'm just saying several teams have styles that involve them being close towards the end and pulling it out in the last couple minutes. Not so much the style in the Big 12 which leads to final margins which are higher.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I'll be brutally honest here. Iowa gets better looks at baskets than we get. I like Lickliters offense, they have worse talent, but damn they get good looks. Our offense makes no sense to me right now, of course we have few shooters, but neither does Iowa.

Once Lickliter gets decent players I think he'll do great!!! Right now I think Iowa has more going for it than ISU, especially playing in the Big 10.

Again, I pray I'm wrong!!!

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Iowa has a strong and capable PG in Tony Freeman. The slow down offense and Freeman make them look good when they get up for a quality opponent, and hit their shots. "Hit their shots" is the key phrase here just as it is with ISU. Iowa has had some games when one guy hits, just as we have when Wesley or Brakins (Baylor) or Hubalek can shoot, but the ugly truth is neither team can consistently throw the ball in the ocean while standing on the beach

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Offense? Offense? What offense?

As Jim Mora would say.

I actually thought a trademark of a McD Team would be to run the ball cleverly around the court for a shot. I was wrong. I thought Mike Taylor dribbling all around the court was a figment of my imagination. I thought BP parking 30 ft from the basket was another figment of my imagination. Next year, I do not know what we will see. Basically with Stinson, we have not run an offense for four years. That was streetball.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Iowa's basketball program is on the rise and ISU's basketball program is stuck in the mud!!

I see very few clone fans who are looking forward to basketball under Greg McDermott...Having said that I'm still ready to give Greg another eight years or so to build a program!!

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I see very few clone fans who are looking forward to basketball under Greg McDermott...Having said that I'm still ready to give Greg another eight years or so to build a program!!

Speak for yourself Grinch...:skeptical:

Keep away from the pill bottles and keep the ammo away from any firearms because you sound too close to the edge, especially when you expect 8 more years of this.

Jeepers man, chill....

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Sweet, the weekly Lickliter lovefest thread has popped it's ugly head again. Once again after a lose people are praising Lickliter over McD. Both teams lost yesterday. Which team won the head-to-head?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Sweet, the weekly Lickliter lovefest thread has popped it's ugly head again. Once again after a lose people are praising Lickliter over McD. Both teams lost yesterday. Which team won the head-to-head?

Ya you're right......It used to be ammusing reading this crap but now it's getting ridiculous. Some people need to have REALISTIC expectations and find a hobby so they don't have meltdowns after every loss.

Lick will be an all right coach, but I'll take Gmac in a heartbeat.:smile:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
College BB is all about the guards. Iowa has a few, ISU, well, not saying that they can't improve, but the current guards that McD can throw out there are weak,or slow or can't shoot. I am not saying they all have these traits, but noone is a great point guard or a guy that can create his own shot. Freeman, and Johnson for Iowa have had huge games to keep a vey bad Iowa team in games. The are also very good ball handlers, allowing Iowa milk the clock down without the massive amount of back court TOs ISU would have if they tried this. In addition, Iowa has made a run through the big 10 now and other teams have figured out how to beat Iowa's system. How many rematches did Iowa win this year?

So far this year they have set a record for most losses in a season and the worst attendance in CHA. Ya, they are pretty scary alright.

Iowa also has more experience than ISU. 3 SRs, 3 JRs. ISU counters with 2 SRs, both who have been hurt for a good part of the year, a JR transfer from Iowa, a couple JC walk-ons, a Soph that should not be playing because of injuries, a shoph who is too short for post, too slow for a guard, and a bunch of freshmen and walkons. Oh ya, and a shooting guard that got screwed by the NCAA.

I hate loosing as much as anyone, but until ISU has a core of guys established in the program and in the weight room it is going to be rough.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Lick will be an all right coach, but I'll take Gmac in a heartbeat.:smile:

I think the analogy here is Ginger and Marianne. They're both hot in their own way, but most people have a preference one way or another.

Now, it was an easy choice last year between UI and ISU, because they then had Mrs. Howell.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
does anyone wanna bring up the fact of how lame the big 10 is compared to the big 12??? sure praise lickliter all you want for winning 5 games in a conference that is way substandard to the big 12 but i think mcD will be just fine

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
However, the Colorado game is a worse loss than the Illinois game.

SAGARIN TIME:
Drake #20, (Emmenecker),
Creighton #47 (Stinnet),
Northern Iowa #107,
Clones #116,
Colorado #143,
Iowa #150,
Illinois #82 (Southern Illinois and Illinois State are better), Memphis #2 (Tags),
St Joseph #55 (Tasheed),
Morningside #360 (Corey),
Bradley #88 (Dodie Dunson school next year after JC Pantagraph.com | Sports | Kindred: Academics, dyslexia Dunson's real challenge )
Idaho Stampeders (Mike NBA Development League: Mike Taylor Playerfile )

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
does anyone wanna bring up the fact of how lame the big 10 is compared to the big 12??? sure praise lickliter all you want for winning 5 games in a conference that is way substandard to the big 12 but i think mcD will be just fine

B10 has won the head-head matchups this year overall. B12 rates better by RPI.

Bottom line is they are both BCS conferences and both very competitive.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I care about W's and L's, not the score. So what if Iowa loses a lot of close games, it's only because their game plan is to play boring basketball with a 35-30 final score.

As far as comparing the two teams, that happened in December and it was very clear which team was better.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
I conclude both teams stink and have a long way to go to become conference contenders.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
We have our coach. Don't forget that just a yr ago, a lot of hawks realllllly wanted him. If we can't give him time, why should any coach be willing to give ISU any of their time? He's a classy coach, and at ISU that will get u another few years to prove ur mettle (as it should). The W's will come - just give it some time.....and if i'm wrong, well, we can say that we had a clean program under a coach that tried his hardest. McD likes it here. He's not looking to upgrade to other schools like a lot of coaches might - the least we can do is do the same and not look at other schools for their coaches.