Compare Iowa and ISU basketball (men)

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I'll be brutally honest here. Iowa gets better looks at baskets than we get. I like Lickliters offense, they have worse talent, but damn they get good looks. Our offense makes no sense to me right now, of course we have few shooters, but neither does Iowa.

Once Lickliter gets decent players I think he'll do great!!! Right now I think Iowa has more going for it than ISU, especially playing in the Big 10.

Again, I pray I'm wrong!!!

Glad you said it cause I always have a hard time saying Iowa is better off the ISU. Makes me sick to think about but I agree with you...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
They are shorter and they are smaller. They may be just as quick. Dane Watts is 6-8 and it for Creighton. Coleman is 6-6 for UNI. The center for SIU the same. They try hard in the MVC but Sagarin says they are worse then the Big Ten. Who would win? Drake or Kansas or Texas?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly I don't complain about threads often, but really? They are 12-18 and set an Iowa record for most losses in a season this year.

Both Iowa and ISU are completely irrelevant on a national scale. I really don't think it matters who is getting the most bang for their buck right now, because the bang is so small at this point nobody really cares.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
They are shorter and they are smaller. They may be just as quick. Dane Watts is 6-8 and it for Creighton. Coleman is 6-6 for UNI. The center for SIU the same. They try hard in the MVC but Sagarin says they are worse then the Big Ten. Who would win? Drake or Kansas or Texas?

Check these rosters out:

Men's Basketball - Southern Illinois University - Official Athletic Site

(M) Basketball - Roster - GoCreighton.com

http://www.bubraves.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3400&KEY=&SPID=1498&SPSID=19333

They've got plenty of size. Bradley and UNI both have 7 footers and we can't even say that.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Exactly how does the MVC offense differ from the Horizion conference offense? And how many teams from the Horizion conference get an invite?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Exactly how does the MVC offense differ from the Horizion conference offense? And how many teams from the Horizion conference get an invite?

This is sillly. No conference plays a particular style of offense. Any team in any conference in the country can play street ball, half court offenses or full court offenses. :confused:

The only difference between the conferences is really the size of the schools and the overall athletic ability of the players. Power Conferences have traditionally gotten the best athletes, but I'd argue there's much more parity in athletes than existed in the past.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

SIU has a 245 (that's okay), Bradley has one 240, and UNI has a 220 big man. They still are not going to set the world on fire for athletic ability. Marik, Beasley, Longar, Jiri would have the upper hand.

The Patrick Bradley fellow from a couple year back has sort of disappeared in the NBA also due to weight.

Jonathon Cox is the leagues leading rebounder.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
SIU has a 245 (that's okay), Bradley has one 240, and UNI has a 220 big man. They still are not going to set the world on fire for athletic ability. Marik, Beasley, Longar, Jiri would have the upper hand.

The Patrick Bradley fellow from a couple year back has sort of disappeared in the NBA also due to weight.

Jonathon Cox is the leagues leading rebounder.

Okay your point is well taken, but are we talking football here or basketball? Granted more weight tends to make a basketball player tougher, but there are some darn good players who don't weigh much. Prince from Kentucky a few years ago is one that comes to mind.

My main point is still that the non power conferences athletes have generally gotten a lot closer to the Power conferences. We've got some good sized people on our team and the little MVC handed us our lunch this year. That would have been unheard of 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That would be correct except for the Dolph Pulliam Drake Bulldogs who were great rebounders back in the seventies.

Last edited:

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
We don't have good guards. They are servicable, but not good enough to start on most Big XII teams. College basketball is won with good guard play - see Tinsely's second year.

Not having Rahshon yesterday hurt us on defense immensely. We got to within 5 on pure grit and couldn't stop CU after that. Rahshon would have helped.

DG is getting there, but his immaturity shows. I really believe that another year in the program and some 3 point shooting support will help.

I was under the impression that McD's offense would look something like Wisconsin's. If that is how it will be, we will be fine.

After all those things being against the team, I am still concerned that the team looks lost some of the time (see the end of the game yesterday). Maybe this is why McD's teams do worse their second year. When they play as a team, they have looked good at times. I really hope that looking lost doesn't continue into next year.

Compared to EIU, they have a good point guard and have made a good number of 3 pointers that have kept them in games or won games for them. Without Freeman and Johnson draining threes, they wouldn't have won the number of games that they have.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron