SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Loyola would have beat ISU by 30 last year.
giphy.gif

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
And they lost to Loyola of Chicago. I'm selling their futures and buying ISU.
Loyola beat Miami, Tennessee and Nevada before that. They had a shot at beating Michigan until midway through the second half. Loyola was a top 10 team last year.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Ok how about struggling with the #16 seed. That was one ugly game. They were decent last year but I'm not putting them at #2 next year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I would put that more like a 4 point spread on a neutral court.

It might even be close to a pick-'em with a game in Hilton.

Loyola was a good mid-major but not that good.

Do not let a few close games change the season's total results.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land

As I mentioned above, 30 points was hyperbole.

The transitive property in sports isn't reliable, but Loyola beat K-State by 16 points on a neutral floor and Iowa State lost to K-State by 16 in Hilton and 12 on the road.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

They had a great run but come on people. They won those 3-4 games by a total of 4 points before the KSU game. Saying they would have run ISU out of the gym is silly.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
and then were a game away from the Final Four. I wouldn't say they barely made the tournament either. They finished fourth in the Big XII, the #1 RPI league in the country. They just didn't have a lot of really good wins to bump their seed up.

Think you need to re-read the last line you typed.
Because they beat 3 teams in a row in March doesn't suddenly make them a good team.

They didn't belong on the same floor as KU and went 0 for against the top 3 teams in the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
To an extent, yes, but I think it would be foolish to think that Carter didn't make that team better the moment he stepped on the floor, and that system really struggled offensively until last year (unless they get a lot of turnovers). They have pieces, but watching last year, it was Carter coming up with big play after big play on both ends. That will be missed.

And being a name guy Carter was free to foul 10 -12 times a game, at least, and get called for like three. Officials in football, basketball and baseball all have the same weakness, they get caught up in calling the name and not the game. Star takes it strong to the hoop = and one. Rookie goes to the hoop and gets hammered = turnover. Star pitcher throws it low or outside but close = strike. Star pitcher versus MVP second baseman and umps head explodes on close pitches!

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Think you need to re-read the last line you typed.
Because they beat 3 teams in a row in March doesn't suddenly make them a good team.

They didn't belong on the same floor as KU and went 0 for against the top 3 teams in the Big 12.
Come on man, to say a team that made the Elite Eight isn't a qualifier for a good team is just ignorant. Had Iowa State made the Elite Eight last year we'd be fawning over them.

And sure, the last two times K State played KU, they were beaten soundly. But to be fair, they lost on essentially a last second shot in Lawrence, and in the Big XII tourney both Wade and Brown barely played due to injury.

I'm probably coming off as pro K-State, but trust me I'm not that. I'm simply trying to take a step back and look at them objectively.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Come on man, to say a team that made the Elite Eight isn't a qualifier for a good team is just ignorant. Had Iowa State made the Elite Eight last year we'd be fawning over them.

And sure, the last two times K State played KU, they were beaten soundly. But to be fair, they lost on essentially a last second shot in Lawrence, and in the Big XII tourney both Wade and Brown barely played due to injury.

I'm probably coming off as pro K-State, but trust me I'm not that. I'm simply trying to take a step back and look at them objectively.

Every year there are average teams that make good tourney runs.
Loyola is not a great team.
Syracuse the year before was not a great team.
Both got hot at the right time.
I'm looking at them objectively as well I believe. You cannot discount the fact they were on the bubble heading into the Big 12 tournament.

Help Support Us

Become a patron