COLUMNS: Five thoughts on Wigginton's return to Iowa State

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The NCAA tournament is a single-elimination tournament between teenagers playing basketball with weird referees, in weird gyms, in front of weird crowds, against opponents they do not know well and have very little time to scout. Weird stuff happens. Taking modest success in such a format as proof a team was secretly much better than its regular-season record is a pretty silly thing to be doing. Your total CV over a season is much more useful.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Come on man, to say a team that made the Elite Eight isn't a qualifier for a good team is just ignorant. Had Iowa State made the Elite Eight last year we'd be fawning over them.

And sure, the last two times K State played KU, they were beaten soundly. But to be fair, they lost on essentially a last second shot in Lawrence, and in the Big XII tourney both Wade and Brown barely played due to injury.

I'm probably coming off as pro K-State, but trust me I'm not that. I'm simply trying to take a step back and look at them objectively.

There are plenty of Iowa State fans that dismiss our sweet 16 run three years ago because of who we played.

Kansas state earned their elite 8 run, but it’s perfectly valid to point out they had an easy run.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The NCAA tournament is a single-elimination tournament between teenagers playing basketball with weird referees, in weird gyms, in front of weird crowds, against opponents they do not know well and have very little time to scout. Weird stuff happens. Taking modest success in such a format as proof a team was secretly much better than its regular-season record is a pretty silly thing to be doing. Your total CV over a season is much more useful.
Fran would like to point out that the abbreviation for body of work is BoW.
usa-today-8983005.0.jpg

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
T
Tier 3: Tech, TCU, Baylor, OU and OSU
Tech and TCU lost TONS of production and aren't exactly lighting the world on fire with recruiting. /QUOTE]

I've gotta dispute your take on TCU, that's upper-division potential (I'd bump to tier 2 in your list). Lost a lot with Williams and Brodziansky, yes, but Fisher is back and Frogs return nearly 50% of scoring from last season and have a top-30 recruiting class with three 4-stars.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I kinda get what he's saying, he's a small guard without many point guard skills...right now. Like he is small even for an NBA point guard.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He can shoot, score, and has NBA athleticism. Most prospects lack those.

He lacks ideal size, though.

If he is really good at something else -- PG skills, defense, etc. -- then an NBA team will take a chance on him. He can work/play himself to that level.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Who were the top 3 NBA PG's in the league this year? Westbrook, Lillard and Curry? That doesn't include Kyrie
They're all bigger than Lindell, from a length perspective. I'd also currently argue that lindell has like 40% of their skillset.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The future of the position is guys like lonzo or simmons.

I guess we'll see. I'm probably wrong, but it seems like both of those guys struggled with a jump shot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron