Charlotte Transfer Dishon Jackson commits to the Cyclones!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Wouldn't Peirce be that guy, a big guard?
Indrusaitis is likely ahead of him at present but I think TJ looks for a vet to fill the rotation out. Not saying they can't or won't force the issue. I just think we look to add a vet.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I honestly don't know where Omaha fits. He probably has a quicker route at playing at developing being a Tre King or Hason Ward and being a post player but if the NBA is the goal he needs to develop some perimeter skills

I feel like Biliew's future at ISU rests in whether he is willing to "trust the process" or is looking for immediate playing time and guarantee of a primary role.

My take on Biliew's freshman year is that his struggles were not related to skill-deficiency, but his lack of physicality and struggle with game-speed (physically and mentally). Those issues are fixable with an off season.

I agree that his quickest path to playing time is as a post player. In the college game, the 3 position might be the most challenging. Defensively a player might have to guard a Momcilovic or Gilbert. And offensively, most schools are looking for the 3 to be a big time scorer. Conversely, in the college game there are very few Edny or Dickinson's. So with an offseason in the weight room, Omaha should have the physcial tools to play the 4/5 in the college game. And in ISU's offense, we don't run a lot of offense through our post players. I see no reason why Biliew shouldn't have the offensive skills next season to match Rob Jones, Hasan Ward, Jaz Kunz or Osun.

I'd be happy if Biliew (and/or Watson) can become 8ppg/6rpg type players next year.

Reactions: Letterkenny

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Indrusaitis is likely ahead of him at present but I think TJ looks for a vet to fill the rotation out. Not saying they can't or won't force the issue. I just think we look to add a vet.
It could be interesting what Indrusaitis' role is next year.

This year TJ put Momcilovic in the starting lineup day 1. Sure we had fewer returning players, but there was probably less pressure on Momcilovic to being a the starting lineup, than if he was our 6th/7th man.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Indrusaitis start next year and again have Curtis Jones come off the bench and Curtis play 30mpg. It's an approach that happens a lot in the NBA where a coach wants his 6th man as a consistent scorere. And it might allow Indrusaitis to be a complimentary player with a more defined role playing alongside: Lipsey, Gilbert and Momcilovic.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Something that I’ve noticed in these threads. There are some people here who are taking the phrase “We don’t know if (fill in the blank) can play at this level” as a polite way to say “(fill in the blank) can’t play at this level”.

That’s not how it works. It’s we don’t know. TJ and Co see these kids in practice every day. They know whether any given player can play at this level.

And as for those of you saying that this player can’t do this or that…

It’s like you’ve already forgotten what Tamin’s outside shooting looked like a year ago. And he’s currently at 39.3%, per cyclones.com.

Players improve year to year. Matter of fact, development is something TJ’s program is based upon. That’s the whole reason he’s signing a good portion of the players he’s choosing to.

Because they fit the team mentality, and have plenty of room to grow.

At the very least, there has to be a whole lot of benefit of the doubt regarding player improvement, since player after player after player improves so drastically each year.
Dude isn't getting lucky every time. That's in the recruiting :jimlad:

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Are we sure that JT rock will be ready next year? I have seen a lot of people pencil him in next year but I always felt that 7 footers need time to develop. Has the staff said something about him being ready for next year? Next year will technically be his freshman year so I just don’t know if I expect him to have so many minutes. I would be excited if he is but I am also cautious expecting him to have big minutes.
If he is progressing well, I would think 5-8 minutes a game next year. Less than that isn't the end of the world for a young big man, and more than that would mean he is ahead of schedule.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I haven't seen anything from Omaha that makes me think he can replace Ward. I personally think Omaha needs to work on his ball skills and shooting so he can push to play either the 4 or the 3 in our offense.

Lots of people entering this season thought Tae King would be our starting 5. King and Omaha are not that big, they would be at a significant disadvantage in my opinion.
I said in one of the other threads a while back, I think Omaha is slotted to replace King. Hustle, rebound, defend, hit some 3s, take out the garbage.

He doesn't seem like a rim-runner/protector like Ward or McKay. He doesn't appear to have the size to be Rob Jones. I think he is going to be a 3&D type guy, I think that is what they are doing with his development, and maybe why its taking a while to do that with his game.

I would assume Jackson is headed for the Rob Jones role- just more skilled offensively.

JT Rock, hard to say. Maybe a cross between Rob and Ward.

All pure speculation by me though.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I said in one of the other threads a while back, I think Omaha is slotted to replace King. Hustle, rebound, defend, hit some 3s, take out the garbage.

He doesn't seem like a rim-runner/protector like Ward or McKay. He doesn't appear to have the size to be Rob Jones. I think he is going to be a 3&D type guy, I think that is what they are doing with his development, and maybe why its taking a while to do that with his game.

I would assume Jackson is headed for the Rob Jones role- just more skilled offensively.

JT Rock, hard to say. Maybe a cross between Rob and Ward.

All pure speculation by me though.
I hope Jackson plays hard as Jones. Some fans are really underestimating the impact of losing Jones. He is the heart and soul of our defense. He is a big man who is also good perimeter defender.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
…Less than that isn't the end of the world for a young big man, and more than that would mean he is ahead of schedule.
5-8 minutes? Seriously, I have to wonder what kind of recruit some of you think JT Rock was.

He wasn’t a “project”. If he had made the summer circuit and played his senior year, he’d probably have wound up in the 40-50 range for a ranking. He was just starting to garner national attention.

In other words, not far behind Milan. And ahead of Nojus. And in the meantime, he’s gone from a gangly 7’0” 230 high school junior to a solid 7’1” 250.

If JT doesn’t manage at least twenty minutes a game, I’ll be shocked. Flabbergasted. And that low only because they just added Dishon.

I have to ask. Is this just some sort of “managing expectations through underexpectations” thing? Because I’m really curious.

Thanks in advance.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
5-8 minutes? Seriously, I have to wonder what kind of recruit some of you think JT Rock was.

He wasn’t a “project”. If he had made the summer circuit and played his senior year, he’d probably have wound up in the 40-50 range for a ranking. He was just starting to garner national attention.

In other words, not far behind Milan. And ahead of Nojus. And in the meantime, he’s gone from a gangly 7’0” 230 high school junior to a solid 7’1” 250.

If JT doesn’t manage at least twenty minutes a game, I’ll be shocked. Flabbergasted. And that low only because they just added Dishon.

I have to ask. Is this just some sort of “managing expectations through underexpectations” thing? Because I’m really curious.

Thanks in advance.
He reminds me of Ryan Kalkbrenner from Creighton.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023

Thanks in advance.
We all would have said the same about Omaha.....

From any incoming freshman, I need to see it before I'm penciling anyone in for significant playing time.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Thanks in advance.
Clingan average 13 minutes for UConn his freshman year, only in the 20s this year.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
We all would have said the same about Omaha.....

From any incoming freshman, I need to see it before I'm penciling anyone in for significant playing time.
True, I was scolded by some people on this forum for my low expectation of Omaha. My expectation was low because I saw Omaha playing and my impression was that he was athletic but his basketball skills were raw. Rock’s basketball skills are much more refined than Omaha. I think he will exceed most people’s expectations.

• Love
Reactions: nrg4isu

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Thanks in advance.
It's a "he's 7'1" and would be a college freshman next year if he hadn't early enrolled" thing.

I have very high hopes for him, but for kids that size, 1 in 20 are ready for college ball at 18 years old.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Clingan average 13 minutes for UConn his freshman year, only in the 20s this year.
Yeah 20 is high, Jackson averaged 26 this year. Assuming we sign a 4/5 Rock will start out with spot minutes and maybe work up to rotation guy at 15.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks in advance.
BRE averages 22.4 minutes. I could see Dishon being in that same range, but I would be SHOCKED if Rock was more than what Ward has played this year (16mpg)

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
BRE averages 22.4 minutes. I could see Dishon being in that same range, but I would be SHOCKED if Rock was more than what Ward has played this year (16mpg)
Jackson will get 25 unless he gets recruited over.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Arguing over 150 seconds a game is silly, but I don't see how he would get more than BRE or Tre (23mpg) unless we are really thin on the front line
I'm not arguing about anything, I'm only commenting to say there won't be 20 minutes available for Rock.

I think center breaks down like this
Jackson 25
2nd transfer 15 but may get additional time at PF.
Rock gets spot minutes that hopefully increase as the season goes on.

Help Support Us

Become a patron