Charlotte Transfer Dishon Jackson commits to the Cyclones!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Who's the snowfake here now? I don't see any criticism of you. Yet, haha.

Just kidding around, pulling your chain. :)
I don't mind it.I just don't have the patience to deal with it in a PC manor an people get upset.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Watson did show the ability to shoot the three in high school. With more opportunities and more confidence at this level I think he could be a good outside shooter. That is not his role right now, but it could be with a more expanded role on the team.
Last year or the year before he shot the corner 3 a few times, at a low percentage. The fact that he did that and kept playing tells me the coaching staff thought he might be capable. This year he rarely attempts. I believe with how good he is defensively he is a jumpshot away from playing big minutes. He may leave, but I hope he takes a step and earns a bigger role with king gone.

Edit-looked it up and he was 4 for 19 last year. 19 is enough to say he had a green light at least for awhile or TJ would bench him before that. 2 for 2 this year.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Last year or the year before he shot the corner 3 a few times, at a low percentage. The fact that he did that and kept playing tells me the coaching staff thought he might be capable. This year he rarely attempts. I believe with how good he is defensively he is a jumpshot away from playing big minutes. He may leave, but I hope he takes a step and earns a bigger role with king gone.
He's going to have competition for those minutes from the portal. Which is a positive.

NYCBFan

Mar 18, 2024
While I'm sure NIL was discussed with Dishon, I'd bet our best recruiting pitch is actually the locker room chemistry we have right now. I think kids just really want to be a part of this team and buy into Otz's philosophy. I doubt we're outspending the likes of USC & Illinois.
The Cyclones also will, likely assuming everybody comes back, have one of the best guard rotations in the nation next season. That has to be enticing for any big entering the portal, or incoming freshmen.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Why wouldn't Omaha slide right into Hason's role? He's only an inch shorter and can obviously play above the rim.
I haven't seen anything from Omaha that makes me think he can replace Ward. I personally think Omaha needs to work on his ball skills and shooting so he can push to play either the 4 or the 3 in our offense.

Lots of people entering this season thought Tae King would be our starting 5. King and Omaha are not that big, they would be at a significant disadvantage in my opinion.

Last edited:

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I'm not trying to call you out in any way. My beef is with the general attitude on the board that we shouldn't speculate on transfers. I think in the current cfb environment it should be fair game, whether you have a little inside info to back your speculation or not. It is a discussion board after all, most of what goes on here is just opinion and speculation.
Agree, we should be able to have an opinion. Not everyone has to agree with it. Pav seems like an obvious choice as his playing time has diminished and he seems to be outmatched physically. He plays really hard and has a nice shot but Wofford or something similar is probably a better level for him.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They mentioned Dishon on Omaha sports radio this morning. Something like, "Did you see the guy that transferred to ISU? He looks vicious, should fit right in with their defense."
They brought him up when talking about William Kyle announcing he is going to transfer from SDSU and how they think Nebraska should go for him (went to Bellevue West)

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Something that I’ve noticed in these threads. There are some people here who are taking the phrase “We don’t know if (fill in the blank) can play at this level” as a polite way to say “(fill in the blank) can’t play at this level”.

That’s not how it works. It’s we don’t know. TJ and Co see these kids in practice every day. They know whether any given player can play at this level.

And as for those of you saying that this player can’t do this or that…

It’s like you’ve already forgotten what Tamin’s outside shooting looked like a year ago. And he’s currently at 39.3%, per cyclones.com.

Players improve year to year. Matter of fact, development is something TJ’s program is based upon. That’s the whole reason he’s signing a good portion of the players he’s choosing to.

Because they fit the team mentality, and have plenty of room to grow.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Why wouldn't Omaha slide right into Hason's role? He's only an inch shorter and can obviously play above the rim.
I honestly don't know where Omaha fits. He probably has a quicker route at playing at developing being a Tre King or Hason Ward and being a post player but if the NBA is the goal he needs to develop some perimeter skills

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Something that I’ve noticed in these threads. There are some people here who are taking the phrase “We don’t know if (fill in the blank) can play at this level” as a polite way to say “(fill in the blank) can’t play at this level”.

That’s not how it works. It’s we don’t know. TJ and Co see these kids in practice every day. They know whether any given player can play at this level.

And as for those of you saying that this player can’t do this or that…

It’s like you’ve already forgotten what Tamin’s outside shooting looked like a year ago. And he’s currently at 39.3%, per cyclones.com.

Players improve year to year. Matter of fact, development is something TJ’s program is based upon. That’s the whole reason he’s signing a good portion of the players he’s choosing to.

Because they fit the team mentality, and have plenty of room to grow.

Agreed. We're in year 3 and have yet to see TJ get a guy who is a "finished product". Not that that happens in CBB much anyway (e.g. Hunter Dickenson). My point is, TJ has a type and it's guys who have a ceiling higher than where they're at. Osun is probably the closest we've had to a guy who was already at his ceiling.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I agree with you but get fed up with the parent like protection on her.
Alright here's how I see it.
Directly after their end of season meetings I think Paveletzke enters the portal. Available minutes in the backcourt will be at a premium and I think Indrusaitis takes his. I really like Pav I just think the program has moved forward so fast he's not going to find minutes.

Within a day or two of his departure we add our second big. If it's a pure center Hamilton transfers. He'd be my guess as 13th man. If it's a PF/C combo type the departure is likely Omaha. Hope I'm wrong here but don't see anyway he sits a second year.

Now it gets exciting. TJ looks for one last piece, a big guard with solid offensive skills that has one year to play. This doesn't necessarily push anyone out as Indrusaitis as a freshman just gets a year to develop.

Here's what that rotation looks like
5. Jackson 25+ minutes
4/5 2nd portal big off the bench 20 or so minutes
3/4 Momcilovic 30+ minutes
3/4 Watson 10ish minutes
3. Big guard transfer 25 minutes
2/3 Jones 25 minutes
1/2 Gilbert 30 minutes
1 Lipsey 30 minutes.

Rest of Bench (out of rotation)
Rock gets spot minutes and could take over the backup C minutes by mid season.

Fish likely squeezed out one more year. Expect big things as a redshirt sophomore.

Indrusaitis spot minutes but if he shoots as well as he looks in the highlights TJ will pick his spots to get him in.

Pierce I see him m/l as a redshirt end of bench contributor

I don't like the thought of guys getting pushed out but with the right 3 adds this team is in the 1st tier of the NC discussion.
Wouldn't Peirce be that guy, a big guard?

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
But it's not MY job. Now I'm being criticized for not saying who I think will transfer. Truth is I've never spoken to any if these players. How could I possibly know who has a foot out the door?
That and does anyone think that TJ and staff have already had their season-ending meetings with players?

Any more it's a two-way street. Besides NIL, players are looking for playing time to show their skills. For some guys the NBA dream is still alive, but others the focus is to position themselves to play overseas.

Equally, coaching staffs are honest with players about future playing time during their season-ending meetings.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron