Chamlers Dad moves on from KU

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Surprise, surprise Ronnie Chamlers has left his possion as director of basketball oper. for KU. They have been talking about it on the radio down in KC today. Who will be the next dad of some superstar recruit that KU will hire to help get their son to play basketball there.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Let's not pretend that Kansas is the only school that does it either. Lots of schools hire kids AAU coaches to get them to go there. Baylor just did it

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Heard the KC stations talking about it on Tuesday. Maybe the dad can go to the pros.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Let's not pretend that Kansas is the only school that does it either. Lots of schools hire kids AAU coaches to get them to go there. Baylor just did it

Ya mean like the Cyclone fans that in one breath are serious about hiring Jake to help get Barnes and in the next breath condemn KU and other schools for cheating and doing immoral things to win? :wink:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ya mean like the Cyclone fans that in one breath are serious about hiring Jake to help get Barnes and in the next breath condemn KU and other schools for cheating and doing immoral things to win? :wink:

Yes, exactly...wait, whose side are you on! :yes:

Reactions: Phaedrus

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I get that it's not dirty, but it certainly smells like it's been buried in the muck for quite awhile, no matter how much it's been hosed off.

I guess I just don't see how this isn't an "improper" benefit - does the dad/AAU coach even get considered for the job if the kid isn't considering the school? Most likely not. And the fact that parent/coach leaves after player graduates/leaves shows what that position was really all about.

To me it's just not any different than a booster purchasing a luxury car for the kid's parents if they come to certain school. Would parent be getting that car if the kid decided to go elsewhere? Most certainly not...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

And for the record, I'm not one of those guys and I've never said such things.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I find it more unethical when the person hired is a family member, who can directly funnel money to the child. Sort of like paying the kid to come to the school. Now, if the job is paying the parent similar to what they could make or were making at another job, then I find it much less reprehensible, and would treat it more as the parent taking the job to be closer to the child.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

While I don't think we should hire Sullivan it's not quite the same thing.

Sullivan is an ex ISU player. He has ties to the school and is part of the all century team. Chalmers dad on the other hand was an AAU coach in Alaska. He had no ties to Kansas and didn't have the resume for the job. They hired him for one reason only.

But I get your point, if we did it, than most fans would think it was ok..... including me!!! :wink:

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
More unethical, less unethical.

At the end of the day, both are still unethical. :)
It may be unethical. Each case will be different. I believe the likelihood of unethical behavior to be higher in the case of hiring a parent than in the case of hiring a former coach.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Perhaps, it's a point that can't really be disputed a ton.

Yet we all know many kids will listen to about anyone over their parents sometimes. A coach they respect and love playing for says "Go here and I'll be your coach again", that's pretty significant.

I'd kinda think if some school was giving my parents a job to get me there, I'd go to the school that wouldn't hire them. :biglaugh:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Xavier Henry's dad, come on down!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This is not against the rules. Frankly, I'm surprised it is not done with a little more regularity than you actually see.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Xavier Henry's dad, come on down!

The price is wrong, *****.

16.jpeg

Reactions: cyismydog

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron