Can't believe the team will miss the tournament

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It makes perfect sense if you consider that Malou and Lard didn't make it this year. Frankly, I'm shocked Naz has played as well as he has, considering a double hip surgery can end careers.

Still don't think you can equate the two. They knew Malou and Lard were on shaky eligibility grounds. That's totally different than 4 random, season ending injuries during the year. One you plan for, one you don't.

• Agree
Reactions: cstrunk

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Just for the heck of it, I decided to look and see what the longest current active streaks are. (OK, fair warning - this comes under the heading of you may not want to know this.)

Kansas - 27
Duke - 21
Michigan State - 19
North Carolina - 6 (I put this in because it startled me)
Your list can't be right - Gonzaga and Wisc both have made the tourney 18 straight years...

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Your list can't be right - Gonzaga and Wisc both have made the tourney 18 straight years...

It certainly wasn't inclusive - I posted the three longest streaks I could find. The only reason UNC is there is because I assumed their active streak would have been much longer. Sorry for any confusion.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
It doesn't matter if you have 13 seniors on your roster. If they're not the right players, it won't work.

I'm getting kind of tired of the "5 senior startes" bs. I would trade a couple of those for a freshmen that had a better skill set.

Bottom line is, this team lacks a playmaker. It doesn't matter if he's a Fr So Jr or Sr.

!00% agree, but most of the seniors are plenty talented.

The other part of you argument about trading seniors for better players, well of course we all would but Prohm hasn't been able to play any of recruits serious minutes. Which is a whole other thread that's been hashed out.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
OK, set aside what you've concluded about Prohm, good or bad - I for one think he's going to work out & love next year's recruiting class, tho' I do still have coaching decisions with which I disagree (need to have one of Young/Holden/Bowie in at all times; Burton can't be our interior defender) - grade is "incomplete" at this point.

Now, step back from any preconceived notion about this team - including the one that we are senior-laden so should easily be top 20.

Now, think about what you've actually seen on the court, separate from coaching decisions with which you disagree. (Bet you even disagreed with a few of the things Fred did.)

And, tell me that you see Monte, Deonte, & Naz playing at a consistency that should lead to this team being a clear NCAA team....I don't see any way how you can do that. Of "all of our seniors", only Thomas has played consistently well (ignore TT game - not in that one). The Big 3 have had their spurts, and if they're all on, we're really tough to beat, but look at how they've been playing. Now, I'm not saying that Prohm is John Wooden, but to blindly state that the resume of this team's players = easy NCAA team this year is to ignore what your eyes have seen actually play out on the court.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Has it really come to this?

Seems like a billion years ago (in reality, 2014) that we were headed to Madison Square Garden full of hope. The team had NBA players and a charismatic NBA player turned coach. Why has it gone so bad?

The non-conference schedule was a bummer, including the road loss to that despised Big Ten team that we shall not speak of.

Now we stand at a pathetic 5 - 4 conference record and if trends hold, probably won't make the tournament.

Guess having a star point guard isn't enough, huh?

___

I am, of course, talking about UConn, which currently sports a 10 - 11 record, thanks to a lack of height due to multiple injuries, despite being led by a five-star point guard named Jalen Adams. Sound familiar?

___

Iowa State has been in the NCAA tournament five consecutive years, which is a longer streak than these four teams in particular:

Louisville
Kentucky
UConn
Villanova​

All are teams that have won the national championship during the past five years. All have missed the tournament during these five years, largely due to recruiting misses or players who were one-and-done. All have been placed on probation in the past, because the NCAA essentially rewards cheating.

I wonder if it is realistic for some fans to expect ISU to have a longer sustained period of success than these schools?
NIT

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Look at what UConn is dealing with--and they have more "talent" on their team. Perhaps Prohm is doing a better coaching job than fans realize? I can't say for sure.

It makes perfect sense if you consider that Malou and Lard didn't make it this year. Frankly, I'm shocked Naz has played as well as he has, considering a double hip surgery can end careers.

Like another poster mentioned, this just isn't a good comparison at all.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
!00% agree, but most of the seniors are plenty talented.

The other part of you argument about trading seniors for better players, well of course we all would but Prohm hasn't been able to play any of recruits serious minutes. Which is a whole other thread that's been hashed out.
Just how talented are the seniors?

Morris- Absolutely. All big 12, but still not a playmaker like Frank Mason, or Isaiah Cannon, or Cameron Payne. Although he is beginning to take over games.

Naz- has made some big shots, but not consistent at all. Not good on defense. Role player in the big 12.

Thomas- great shooter, was good defensively before his injury, but he relies on others to create his open shots. Transition & corner 3's + defense

Burton- freak athlete, but wildly inconsistent. Below average defense and rebounding. Plays out of position. I'm not sure there's a coach in the country that could get consistently good production out of Burton. Honestly, he probably needs to be the guy that brings a spark off the bench.

Holden- rebound and defense guy, and he's average, at best, with those things.

Bowie- Ideally he's the 4th guy off the bench, when there's foul trouble, and only plays 5-10 per game.

mikehike14

Jun 27, 2016
R-E-L-A-X we are making tahe tournament. We will finish 11-7 or 10-8 and end up on the 7 or 8 line. Not the seed I saw us getting before the season, but another tournament bid nonetheless
relax until we get a new coach. In the meantime play checkers with Grandpa.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yes, lowering expectations always leads to success.:rolleyes:

This. We arent back down to McDermott levels yet, but goddamn if some of this talk doesnt seem familiar. We had people defending McDermott in his last couple seasons, even though it was clear as day to most people it was not working. So many seem to be ready to do the same now, when quite honestly we have underperformed these first 1.75 seasons.

Does that mean we pull the plug yet? No. Any coach gets more time than 2 years. But if we miss the tourney, that heats things up for next year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
This. We arent back down to McDermott levels yet, but goddamn if some of this talk doesnt seem familiar. We had people defending McDermott in his last couple seasons, even though it was clear as day to most people it was not working. So many seem to be ready to do the same now, when quite honestly we have underperformed these first 1.75 seasons.

Does that mean we pull the plug yet? No. Any coach gets more time than 2 years. But if we miss the tourney, that heats things up for next year.
I hope it never gets to McDermott level, but in our defense, as fans, there's not a lot we can do about it. There's no way in hell Pollard makes a move this year, next, or probably not the one after either. I hope to God it never gets to the point where were saying "don't attend the games, show our disapproval by not showing up."

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Watching a lesser version of a typical Michigan State team tonight, I watched them pull away from Nebraska in a close game with 4 different players making several big 3's. It wasn't like they were dominating inside at all. It made me think, when was the last game when both Matt & Naz were both shooting well the same game? I mean it seems like some games Matt has the hot hand. Other games Monte scores 25 or 30, or Naz will breakout with 17. While this isn't unusual for teams, it would be great to see all our perimeter guys be 'on' at the same time. With Deonte scoring less, yet dishing out 10 assists, the WV game could have been that game but we all know we couldn't make shots during a long stretch in that 2nd half, most which were good looks. But....guess we really know that if you're not getting points in the paint, you can't expect to outshoot people every game, thus the inconsistency. Probably why Monte often says after some losses, we just didn't make shots.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I hope it never gets to McDermott level, but in our defense, as fans, there's not a lot we can do about it. There's no way in hell Pollard makes a move this year, next, or probably not the one after either. I hope to God it never gets to the point where were saying "don't attend the games, show our disapproval by not showing up."

The question will be:

For recruiting, you generally want to have a contract that goes out a few years. You obviously can't extend the contract in a year we dont make the tournament. So if we miss this year and next, you'd be leaving him with 2 years left on his contract (ends in 2020). Would that be enough? Or would that combined with a downward 3 year trend do enough damage to recruiting going forward that things would just spiral anyway?

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron