CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

Discussion in 'Football' started by Kagavi, May 17, 2017.

1. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    I guess I missed that we re-signed. I thought we were due up in 2018. Hard to believe we did another contract and only doubled our previous contract. I'll never understand how we aren't a bigger deal for apparel. Big school, some success, and fans spread out over the country. I guess splitting a small state takes away the fringe that the big schools get.

2. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    File this in the same category as Prohm being overtly religious. If it gets us better recruits then I absolutely love it regardless of how I'd feel otherwise.

3. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    I love that we are doing a change away from USC's knockoff design. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frak

Frak Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Male
    My question is with the new grey uniforms...do they end up just trashing them? Will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they have more than just the coaches designing these things.

I'd love to see either a gold or grey helmet come out this year.

5. cydline2cydline

cydline2cydline Active Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Male
    Altoonaville
    Here is my guess...

Attached Files:

6. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    What the hell else are we supposed to talk about? The Cubs sucking again? Labron winning another championship? Boo...

Ramble away, @t-noah

7. k123

k123 Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Engineer
    Iowa
    I'm ALL IN for the increased use of the stencil logo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. CycloneBob

CycloneBob Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ames
    Ditch the grey stuff, especially the jerseys - can't even read the number from half way up in the stands. That fad is over.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    We do have a habit of jumping on fads about five years after they peak and 2-3 years after they are really cool anymore. We are a bunch of Iowans, after all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SolarGarlic

SolarGarlic Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2016
    The "ketchup bottle" look was our best this past season outside the all whites. The red facemask was the best change we've made in years.

I don't see us going too crazy on these. I'm imagining an image change similar to Oklahoma State. You can make modern, "cool" jerseys that are still sharp and clean without the gimmick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Sigmapolis

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    I actually liked the red facemask -- I loved the red/white/white of the Kansas game. I would favor that as a "permanent" change, particularly if we ditch the non-school color jerseys and pants. I just hate non-white monochromatic looks. It looks like a leotard, not a football uniform.

No reason we should ever wear an element that is not cardinal, gold, or white. Ever. You can do enough and plenty of cool things with just those three SCHOOL colors if you want to.

I would not say that Oklahoma State's uniforms are "clean" whatsoever, and they mix-and-match odd combinations and alternatives so often, as well.

This is a clean, classic Oklahoma State...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which they do sometimes in their new set, yes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But you see a lot of gimmicky "sheriff" nonsense from them, too...

[​IMG]

Gray is not a school color of theirs, and the little "wing" stripes on their shoulders are stupid.

I will shut up if we trend more towards the first sort, but I imagine it is probably going to be a mixture of both (at least) if not having some gimmicky base set with way too many alternatives.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    Something like Baylor or Oregon is gimmicky, but in absolutely no way can you consider Oklahoma State's stuff gimmicky. The key to a successful uniform is a clean modern look that doesn't try to do too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. k123

k123 Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Engineer
    Iowa
    #53 k123, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Here was one of the old thread concepts with the stencil logo:
    (I believe this is an "amestoplease" original : )
    uniform concept.jpeg

• Like Like x 24
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. t-noah

t-noah Active Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Haha...sorry, I think I'm out. Shot my load already and learned from my mistakes. Uniforms are kind of like religion and politics, get into trouble either way, and can't make everyone happy.

I am thrilled w/ this new staff and what they are doing. I will be fine w/ whatever they come up with. I might not completely like it, but I'll bet it will be fine.

BTW, my new motto when talking about, let's say, Politics, is: I'm not a member of the Democratic Party; and I'm not a member of the Republican Party; but I am a member of the Pizza Party!

Party on everyone. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    Not a fan of stencil logo but might like a gold stencil for use on cardinal helmet.

16. Sigmapolis

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Just to try to prove I am not a complete stick in the mud (though I am)...

I really like our current basketball uniforms and the tapered "funnel cloud" stripes on the shorts. Somebody put together a few concepts on using that same thing on our football uniforms...

[​IMG]

http://i.imgur.com/4t71HCj.png

I thought that would be a nice compromise -- get away from the USC comparisons, but retain a cleaner look with a modern twist to it (such as some of the OSU combinations above), build around a cool concept related to our Cyclone origins, and build some consistency between football and basketball. I think that would be cool and likely rather unique among our peers.

You could mix-and-match combinations, add helmet colors, and mix facemask colors from there.

Even if not that exactly, I think involving that stripe pattern would be neat.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 67CY

67CY Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Male
    Looks perfect, however they probably would never go with it because it looks great.
    Hope they at least use gold instead of yellow in whatever they have chosen

18. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Just f*cking win!!! I don't care what we look like, W's are so much cooler.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    [​IMG]

I like this concept.

• Like Like x 2