CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
File this in the same category as Prohm being overtly religious. If it gets us better recruits then I absolutely love it regardless of how I'd feel otherwise.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
My question is with the new grey uniforms...do they end up just trashing them? Will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they have more than just the coaches designing these things.

I'd love to see either a gold or grey helmet come out this year.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Gimmicky nonsense, non-school colors, few or tenuous references to our uniform history, mono-chromatic "ketchup bottle" looks, overly-busy uniform designs, and "Tequila sunrise" stuff we will look back on in twenty years and think "what were we thinking" when clean and classic designs reassert themselves like they did in baseball and basketball.

Bracing myself.

The "ketchup bottle" look was our best this past season outside the all whites. The red facemask was the best change we've made in years.

I don't see us going too crazy on these. I'm imagining an image change similar to Oklahoma State. You can make modern, "cool" jerseys that are still sharp and clean without the gimmick.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The "ketchup bottle" look was our best this past season outside the all whites. The red facemask was the best change we've made in years.

I don't see us going too crazy on these. I'm imagining an image change similar to Oklahoma State. You can make modern, "cool" jerseys that are still sharp and clean without the gimmick.

I actually liked the red facemask -- I loved the red/white/white of the Kansas game. I would favor that as a "permanent" change, particularly if we ditch the non-school color jerseys and pants. I just hate non-white monochromatic looks. It looks like a leotard, not a football uniform.

No reason we should ever wear an element that is not cardinal, gold, or white. Ever. You can do enough and plenty of cool things with just those three SCHOOL colors if you want to.

I would not say that Oklahoma State's uniforms are "clean" whatsoever, and they mix-and-match odd combinations and alternatives so often, as well.

This is a clean, classic Oklahoma State...

r960-10f6a66ecadfa9af29545395dbc851d1.jpg

53b5efa729c11.image.jpg

Which they do sometimes in their new set, yes...

r960-n_fa1bb8c096c7d0851b8c1f70899f7376.jpg

8811600.jpg

But you see a lot of gimmicky "sheriff" nonsense from them, too...

ap_texas_tech_oklahoma_st_football_67537530.jpg

Gray is not a school color of theirs, and the little "wing" stripes on their shoulders are stupid.

I will shut up if we trend more towards the first sort, but I imagine it is probably going to be a mixture of both (at least) if not having some gimmicky base set with way too many alternatives.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I actually liked the red facemask -- I loved the red/white/white of the Kansas game. I would favor that as a "permanent" change, particularly if we ditch the non-school color jerseys and pants. I just hate non-white monochromatic looks. It looks like a leotard, not a football uniform.

No reason we should ever wear an element that is not cardinal, gold, or white. Ever. You can do enough and plenty of cool things with just those three SCHOOL colors if you want to.

I would not say that Oklahoma State's uniforms are "clean" whatsoever, and they mix-and-match odd combinations and alternatives so often, as well.

This is a clean, classic Oklahoma State...

r960-10f6a66ecadfa9af29545395dbc851d1.jpg

53b5efa729c11.image.jpg

Which they do sometimes in their new set, yes...

r960-n_fa1bb8c096c7d0851b8c1f70899f7376.jpg

8811600.jpg

But you see a lot of gimmicky "sheriff" nonsense from them, too...

ap_texas_tech_oklahoma_st_football_67537530.jpg

Gray is not a school color of theirs, and the little "wing" stripes on their shoulders are stupid.

I will shut up if we trend more towards the first sort, but I imagine it is probably going to be a mixture of both (at least) if not having some gimmicky base set with way too many alternatives.
Something like Baylor or Oregon is gimmicky, but in absolutely no way can you consider Oklahoma State's stuff gimmicky. The key to a successful uniform is a clean modern look that doesn't try to do too much.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
What the hell else are we supposed to talk about? The Cubs sucking again? Labron winning another championship? Boo...

Ramble away, @t-noah
Haha...sorry. Uniforms are kind of like religion and politics, get into trouble either way, and can't make everyone happy.

I will be fine w/ whatever the new staff comes up with. I might not completely like it, but I'll bet it will be fine.

I'm not a member of the Democratic Party; and I'm not a member of the Republican Party; but I am a member of the Pizza Party!

Party on everyone. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossmt and CYCLNST8

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just to try to prove I am not a complete stick in the mud (though I am)...

I really like our current basketball uniforms and the tapered "funnel cloud" stripes on the shorts. Somebody put together a few concepts on using that same thing on our football uniforms...

4t71HCj.png

http://i.imgur.com/4t71HCj.png

I thought that would be a nice compromise -- get away from the USC comparisons, but retain a cleaner look with a modern twist to it (such as some of the OSU combinations above), build around a cool concept related to our Cyclone origins, and build some consistency between football and basketball. I think that would be cool and likely rather unique among our peers.

You could mix-and-match combinations, add helmet colors, and mix facemask colors from there.

Even if not that exactly, I think involving that stripe pattern would be neat.

Reactions: cyence

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Here was one of the old thread concepts with the stencil logo:
(I believe this is an "amestoplease" original : )
View attachment 47886
Looks perfect, however they probably would never go with it because it looks great.
Hope they at least use gold instead of yellow in whatever they have chosen

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Just to try to prove I am not a complete stick in the mud (though I am)...

I really like our current basketball uniforms and the tapered "funnel cloud" stripes on the shorts. Somebody put together a few concepts on using that same thing on our football uniforms...

4t71HCj.png

http://i.imgur.com/4t71HCj.png

I thought that would be a nice compromise -- get away from the USC comparisons, but retain a cleaner look with a modern twist to it (such as some of the OSU combinations above), build around a cool concept related to our Cyclone origins, and build some consistency between football and basketball. I think that would be cool and likely rather unique among our peers.

You could mix-and-match combinations, add helmet colors, and mix facemask colors from there.

Even if not that exactly, I think involving that stripe pattern would be neat.
34ouj4w.jpg

I like this concept.