CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Get over it. We have no tradition and we have no identity in the national scope. When you don't have tradition to sell, you sell change.

Disagree. Everywhere I wear our I-State logo it's instantly recognized as Iowa State. New football unis, great, do it...but sweeping statements about "no identity" don't fly with me.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Disagree. Everywhere I wear our I-State logo it's instantly recognized as Iowa State. New football unis, great, do it...but sweeping statements about "no identity" don't fly with me.

You must not go far. Most in AZ have a tough time telling the difference between us and iowa and have no clue what conference we are in. It's the heat, perhaps.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
There better not be one shade of yellow in anything new..not one. Our colors are NOT red and yellow..

"Gold" does not have to mean metallic. I don't really want the 49ers or FSU look. The gold I would prefer is the 2007? throwback color:

upload_2017-5-18_1-39-1.jpeg

My second choice would be the Jack Trice throwback color:

upload_2017-5-18_1-41-43.jpeg

I do think that changing out the helmet logo is smart...gives them a lot of unique combinations and it's not an expensive change. That stencil I-State would look really good on the white helmet.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
"Gold" does not have to mean metallic. I don't really want the 49ers or FSU look. The gold I would prefer is the 2007? throwback color:

View attachment 47878

View attachment 47879

I do think that changing out the helmet logo is smart...gives them a lot of unique combinations and it's not an expensive change. That stencil I-State would look really good on the white helmet.

Agree with the gold standard. More mustard than yellow, true gold has a hint of the 49er glitter but not all the way.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Anything but the McDonald's uniforms and im fine. The all yellow uniforms honestly are horrendous. The jack trice throw back uniform colors IMO are the best I've ever seen.

1981-82 home jersey colors werent bad either..along with the away jersey of 1978. Those IMO best standard uniform colors we've had. 1983- present color wise just horrid.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
There better not be one shade of yellow in anything new..not one. Our colors are NOT red and yellow..
Did U NOT enjoy the mcdonalds red and yellow uni's of the jimmy don criner era...lol....Yeah and the football team also played like mcdonalds employees......

Criner's teams were dreadful and the uniforms were even worse than dreadful.....

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Did U NOT enjoy the mcdonalds red and yellow uni's of the jimmy don criner era...lol....Yeah and the football team also played like mcdonalds employees......

Criner's teams were dreadful and the uniforms were even worse than dreadful.....

I've blocked those years completely from my memory. Outside of 1 Marv Seiler run and taking comfort in Pete Taylor voice the rest of that time can be permanentaly deleted from memory.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Earl Bruce era color scheme would be fine with me. The Jack Trice throwbacks were horrid. [barf]

vvvvvvvvvvvvv Love the Criner funnel though. Don't care how bad the team was. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I am hurt! What will I ever do w/ myself?
Seriously, I have made a point to remain quiet from here on, when it comes to uniforms. Whether I can do it or not remains to be seen.
Uniforms have been an interest of mine, I'll definitely admit, a bit overdone, yes, but who can cast the first stone?
Reality is, that this staff will decide what it wants, and I'm OK with that. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

I'm okay with your uniform posts. I like thinking about various options.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I hate Matt Campbell for bringing this up so soon in the off-season! Here comes the newest mega-thread for summer... :/

Reactions: State43

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

View attachment 47878

View attachment 47879

I didn't like the bright white numbers on the Jack Trice trhrowback jersey. And I couldn't read the numbers on the grey shirts.

And while I didn't like the grey uniforms, everyone I know associated with the football programs did, so I'm okay with it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Things that make you go hmmmm on Twitter. According to CF's very own Jared Stansbury in two tweets:

"Campbell said he thinks the program's uniforms will change in totality shortly. Not sure if it will be complete this year, but coming." (Tweet)

" 'I can tell you I think our image will change entirely here shortly.' - Campbell" (Tweet)​

Alex Halsted also said in three linked tweets:

"Matt Campbell says in time Iowa State will change their uniform identity. Whether that's this year he isn't sure due to Nike contracts." (Tweet)

"Even if not in total this fall, Campbell said there could be some other changes." (Tweet)

"My guess is mostly a uniform overhaul. Not sure they'll be changing the logo or anything." (Tweet)
Key things noticed in the past year:

True gold color being used in Twitter hype videos.

Increased usage of stencil/outline I-STATE logo versus the beveled version.

Retro 1980s Cyclone logo (from Johnny Orr's era!) used as helmet sticker.
Looking forward to seeing some new ideas and hopefully a Jack Trice tribute or two ...

Please blow my mind and tell me that Kagavi is on the design team! That would be awesome.

Help Support Us

Become a patron