Caleb Grill has been dismissed from team

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well.....George was part of the Prohm era and some on here are infected with some anti Prohm virus for life. They hear names like Tre Jackson, Jaden Walker, Rasir Bolton all they see is Steve Prohm and start foaming at the mouth.

My daughter took Cyride to class many times last year and George was on the same route. Said he is the nicest guy.

George is/was the embodiment of character; saw some high highs and lowest of lows with CSP, then hung in there to appear in a Sweet 16 and even though it was a rough game for the team, he had a nice farewell game.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
As I stated earlier I strongly believe the way the game is called is affected by the other coach's constantly being in the refs ear and TJ just standing there like a choir boy. I love every thing about TJ, I love our culture but both can happen. Standing up for your guys isn't gonna suddenly ruin our culture. In fact fighting for your guys who fight their asses off for you every night might improve our culture. You can believe what you want but I saw it first hand last night. Huggins was in the refs ear the entire night and the free throw disparity was 12-0 down the stretch. Do you honestly believe wv didn't commit a foul in the last 4 mins?
I don’t really care about TJ and the refs because it seems like it’s just something to pick at when we lose close games but you can’t tell your guys that you will handle the refs and then just kind of not do it. Fred kept that cool demeanor too but he didn’t get walked over. Again, it’s an easy thing to pick at and I’d prefer the composure but there have been times this season he’s just allowed ****** officiating and whether we like it or not, playing that game is part of the game. Fred had the reputation of staying cool but if he was upset the refs knew they were wrong. I think TJ is trying to replicate that but it doesn’t seem effective. And yes, we did have these co cos about Hoiberg.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I don’t really care about TJ and the refs because it seems like it’s just something to pick at when we lose close games but you can’t tell your guys that you will handle the refs and then just kind of not do it. Fred kept that cool demeanor too but he didn’t get walked over. Again, it’s an easy thing to pick at and I’d prefer the composure but there have been times this season he’s just allowed ****** officiating and whether we like it or not, playing that game is part of the game. Fred had the reputation of staying cool but if he was upset the refs knew they were wrong. I think TJ is trying to replicate that but it doesn’t seem effective. And yes, we did have these co cos about Hoiberg.

Maybe TJ needs to wear a polo another size smaller. Then have "which way to the beach" printed on the front.

That might put some fear into the officials.

• Haha
Reactions: VeloClone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Conditt got called a POS last year in a huge win at TCU by someone on here.

People were weird before the interwebs but this deep dark place some go to over a college basketball game is tough.

I am not surprised by who it was.

• Dumb
Reactions: RonBurgundy

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
At this point, if Grill isn’t as close to 100% as possible, rest him until the big dance. We’re not going to beat Baylor, we’re not going to win the big 12 tourney (and hope we lose the first round to rest our guys), and hopefully getting out of the big 12 and against familiar opponents will help this team

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

At the game Saturday ISU got 2-3 reviews on calls after TJ talked to the ref. The refs didn't change the call/non-call but at least it got a look.

I don't know what the conversation is like but he was talking to the refs often. I've seen it on TV too and there's this 'no he doesn't talk to the refs ever' blind spot that's kind of weird.

Unless there's some sort of indications from someone 'in the know' that the players feel like they aren't being stuck up for behind the scenes, I'm not buying it.

Someone said he was more firey at UNLV and maybe he found it was a waste of time and energy.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe. In this day and age of internet and texting........all you see are numbers and letters. There is no intonation, emotion if you will. Just sterile letter's and emoji's to convey one's meaning.

When I saw "bonehead" by the OP I laughed because that term is rarely used in a way to demean anyone. And in my experience one of amusement i.e. that was a boneheaded move.

So yeah, I can see where someone might think it too far. But I only have to go back the Prohm era when the coach and players were called much worse.

Worst time ever for Iowa State basketball. EVER.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Worst time ever for Iowa State basketball. EVER.

04R4Yrh.jpg

Reactions: AlaCyclone

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Need that one Niang or Niang-light guy that can at least cause some action to draw a foul on a shot and get things going back again for ISU.

Would make a gigantic difference.
Yes, you would think since we didn't score from the 3:50 mark til Gabe's late three, we could have at least drew 1 foul as we were in the bonus+. No bucket/no free throw....guess we have to give WV credit for their defense as hard as that is to do.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
At this point, if Grill isn’t as close to 100% as possible, rest him until the big dance. We’re not going to beat Baylor, we’re not going to win the big 12 tourney (and hope we lose the first round to rest our guys), and hopefully getting out of the big 12 and against familiar opponents will help this team
I'm afraid there is too much film out there showing multiple games and opponents on how to hold us under 60 pts., teams will be ready for us. The Kalschuer and Tyrese games going off were a surprise in a way last big dance games.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
All our guards rebound well for a guard. It’s TJs set up, he has said he likes his bigs to box out and have the smalls get the boards. Why you will see Rob boxing out facing the guy.

True to a degree, however, Grill's defensive rebound rate (15.0) is a good bit better than the rest of our guards. Holmes (11.9), Lipsey (10.9), Kalscheur (7.3).

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
"Always has been and will probably always be inconsistent but I hope I'm wrong." - @Cyburbbalz

The quote tweet feature isn't working for some reason but the player you are hoping for does not exist. Senior year Matt Thomas was a top three point shooter in college basketball and shot 45% from three but still had 5 games that season where he went 0 fer. This was the beginning of him becoming literally one of the best shooters in the world.

After a rough first few outings in buy games, Grill shot 44.7% from three on 76 attempts in a 12 game stretch from UNC to Texas (origin of the back injury). He hit 3 or more threes 7 times in those 12 games. That's about as good as sustained shooting excellence as you will find in college basketball.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I'm afraid there is too much film out there showing multiple games and opponents on how to hold us under 60 pts., teams will be ready for us. The Kalschuer and Tyrese games going off were a surprise in a way last big dance games.

Good point. Is it that our opponents are making use of good film on us, or the lackluster job we’re doing reviewing film on our opponents? Nonetheless, it’s March and we need to be on our A game.

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
"Always has been and will probably always be inconsistent but I hope I'm wrong." - @Cyburbbalz

The quote tweet feature isn't working for some reason but the player you are hoping for does not exist. Senior year Matt Thomas was a top three point shooter in college basketball and shot 45% from three but still had 5 games that season where he went 0 fer. This was the beginning of him becoming literally one of the best shooters in the world.

After a rough first few outings in buy games, Grill shot 44.7% from three on 76 attempts in a 12 game stretch from UNC to Texas (origin of the back injury). He hit 3 or more threes 7 times in those 12 games. That's about as good as sustained shooting excellence as you will find in college basketball.
Nice research