BYU wants in the Big 12

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
The only reason to expand the Big 12 is if a school is available that increases the per school dollar payout despite splitting the payout with another school. BYU does not do that AT ALL. None of the schools are going to agree to take less money per year just to say they are at 11 or 12. A conference title game in football does not pay even close to enough to justify two additional mouths to feed. Unless they can land Notre Dame and Florida State or someone of that claiber, the Big 12 will stay at 10 teams.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
BYU would be a great addition for future growth. I like the way they're passionate about football and how fans pack their stadium.
We lost two huge football schools in A&M and Nebraska; our average football attendance as a conference in 2013 was 58,000 - the smallest since 2005. KU, for example, averaged a pathetic 36,500 per game last year. We need a program to make up for apathy like that, and BYU does it.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
BYU would be a great addition for future growth. I like the way they're passionate about football and how fans pack their stadium. We lost two huge football schools in A&M and Nebraska; our average football attendance as a conference in 2013 was 58,000 - the smallest since 2005. KU, for example, averaged a pathetic 36,500 per game last year. We need a program to make up for apathy like that, and BYU does it.
Attendance at games means NOTHING in the world of conference expansion. It's fun from a rah rah perspective but that's not why conferences expand.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
Attendance at games means NOTHING in the world of conference expansion. It's fun from a rah rah perspective but that's not why conferences expand.

Hey twocoach, why do you think conferences expand? I can think of at least four reasons: 1) survival, 2) increase in net revenue for the existing individual conference members, 3) increase the chance of having a team in the football championship playoff, 4) preempt the expansion options of another conference.

Notre Dame's agreement with the ACC provides for a reported 20% share for its Olympic sports and nothing for the football games (Notre Dame keeps its rights to its 3 home games vs. ACC members.) If BYU wants in for football only and agrees to the Notre Dame precedent, BYU would not receive any share of the Big 12 Conference revenue but would have access to a Big 12 football championship game and the football playoffs.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Typical KU ignorance here.

Do you think if Nebraska averaged 36K in attendence over the past 30 years and KU averaged 75K, that Nebraska still would have been invited to the B10 instead of another AAU school like KU? Nebraska sure as hell wasn't invited to the B10 due to new BTN cables subs.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Typical KU ignorance here.

Do you think if Nebraska averaged 36K in attendence over the past 30 years and KU averaged 75K, that Nebraska still would have been invited to the B10 instead of another AAU school like KU? Nebraska sure as hell wasn't invited to the B10 due to new BTN cables subs.

No, he's right. Nebraska has that attendance from winning at the conference and national levels, which brought a national brand name into the Big Ten. It wasn't just for Nebraska cable subscriptions, but on the idea that the Huskers brought a big ticket name to the table.

Nobody cares about in-person attendance in the realignment game.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
No, he's right. Nebraska has that attendance from winning at the conference and national levels, which brought a national brand name into the Big Ten. It wasn't just for Nebraska cable subscriptions, but on the idea that the Huskers brought a big ticket name to the table.

Nobody cares about in-person attendance in the realignment game.

Attendence directly correlates with FB success and interested TV eyeballs so to suggest it doesn't matter is wrong.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Attendence directly correlates with FB success and interested TV eyeballs so to suggest it doesn't matter is wrong.

It does not directly correlate at all. Look at Louisvilles basketball attendance. They average over 20,000 fans. Yet, their fan base is tiny and not attractive what so ever when it came to conference realignment or TV revenue.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That had nothing to do with it... I'm not sure why people think it does. The no Sunday issue is a non issue as neither conference plays football or basketball games on Sunday, and it would be pretty easy to work around the no Sunday rule for the non revenue sports. The main reason they were passed on was because they are not as attractive as they tend to think they are.

I think they would have been to the Pac 12 but they already nudged in on Rocky Mountain markets with Utah and Colorado. They didn't need BYU, I think the Big 12 would've taken them as well but they drug their feet. Their independent status and TV deal couldn't have come at a worse time, they got their deals done right before the dominos started falling.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think they would have been to the Pac 12 but they already nudged in on Rocky Mountain markets with Utah and Colorado. They didn't need BYU, I think the Big 12 would've taken them as well but they drug their feet. Their independent status and TV deal couldn't have come at a worse time, they got their deals done right before the dominos started falling.

If the Pac 12 decided to take Utah over BYU, then they are idiots. The fact is, at the time BYU was making Notre Dame demands to join a conference, and it essentially made them a no option. One of those demands was the "no Sunday games", but as I mentioned, that was not a big deal as it is very easy to work around. The Big 12 gave up on BYU the second West Virgina became a viable option.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
It does not directly correlate at all. Look at Louisvilles basketball attendance. They average over 20,000 fans. Yet, their fan base is tiny and not attractive what so ever when it came to conference realignment or TV revenue.

Not sure why you're bring basketball into this when FB and their TV contracts are the primary (or arguably sole) driver for realignment.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not sure why you're bring basketball into this when FB and their TV contracts are the primary (or arguably sole) driver for realignment.

Because it shows how attendance to a sporting event and a fan bases actual size/attractiveness do not correlate what so ever.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
If pre-empting the expansion of another conference is one of the criteria for new Big 12 Conference members, which teams are the most vulnerable/valuable? Does any other conference want UCF/USF, San Diego St, BYU, UNLV, Tulane, Memphis, SMU, Rice, Tulsa, New Mexico or East Carolina? If not, there is no reason to expand by taking them today if they are likely available tomorrow.

The only two teams that I think other conferences might want are UConn (ACC & BIG) and Cincy (ACC & maybe SEC).

So, does the Big 12 have an interest in UConn and/or Cincy? If yes, these are the most important targets. If no, then there is no reason to act today.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Because it shows how attendance to a sporting event and a fan bases actual size/attractiveness do not correlate what so ever.

If Louisville drew poorly in FB and had a correlating lack of TV eyeball interest, they would not have been invited to the ACC.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Hey twocoach, why do you think conferences expand? I can think of at least four reasons: 1) survival, 2) increase in net revenue for the existing individual conference members, 3) increase the chance of having a team in the football championship playoff, 4) preempt the expansion options of another conference. Notre Dame's agreement with the ACC provides for a reported 20% share for its Olympic sports and nothing for the football games (Notre Dame keeps its rights to its 3 home games vs. ACC members.) If BYU wants in for football only and agrees to the Notre Dame precedent, BYU would not receive any share of the Big 12 Conference revenue but would have access to a Big 12 football championship game and the football playoffs.
1) More money 2) More Money 3) MORE Money and 4) MORE MONEY. Adding a Big 12 title game doesn't increase the cahnces of a Big 12 team making a playoff game. If anything it just adds one more hurdle for a good Big 12 team to trip over. The Big 10 got teams into the BCS games all the time before they had a title game. Granted, if the bleep hits the fan and there is major conference chaos then everything changes. I just don't see the Big 12 adding teams until they can either add two power hitters that boost the overall payout per school. BYU does not do that, at all.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
If Louisville drew poorly in FB and had a correlating lack of TV eyeball interest, they would not have been invited to the ACC.
Then how did Mizzou get in the SEC? Their fans suck. They were add because of tv households in media market which means MORE MONEY for the SEC Channel and tv contracts. Period.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Typical KU ignorance here. Do you think if Nebraska averaged 36K in attendence over the past 30 years and KU averaged 75K, that Nebraska still would have been invited to the B10 instead of another AAU school like KU? Nebraska sure as hell wasn't invited to the B10 due to new BTN cables subs.
Oh, dear, you need to hit the history books a bit. Nebraska has been petitioning to join the Big 10 since 1900. There's a lot that goes into what school is chosen over what school and football attendance is about 75th on that list.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
1) More money 2) More Money 3) MORE Money and 4) MORE MONEY. Adding a Big 12 title game doesn't increase the cahnces of a Big 12 team making a playoff game. If anything it just adds one more hurdle for a good Big 12 team to trip over. The Big 10 got teams into the BCS games all the time before they had a title game. Granted, if the bleep hits the fan and there is major conference chaos then everything changes. I just don't see the Big 12 adding teams until they can either add two power hitters that boost the overall payout per school. BYU does not do that, at all.

I agree with you that it is the money. It is the responsibility of any potential expansion school to insure there is no dilution of revenue. However, if two schools brought forth a proposal that would increase the revenue of each and every current member, would you still be opposed to expansion? And, for clarity, I mean the profitability of each and every current member (since there might be additional costs, such as travel, because of the expansion.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron