Buffalo Bills Damar Hamlin

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There is a short list of people that have the professionalism and grace to handle something of this magnitude, and SVP might be at the top of that list
SVP just had a heart scare last Jan so it probably rings a bit home to him as well.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wait people thought the NFL actually handled that well?

As soon as they found out they needed an AED and to perform CPR it should’ve been called right then and there.

Easy to critique afterward when you're not having to react in the moment.

Likely the rules called for a 5 minute delay after an injury like this. It was realized pretty quickly that wouldnt be adequate, so both coaches mutually agreed to suspend play, which also would be allowed for by the rules.

From that point, moving to the ultimate decisions after that is a matter that has a lot of moving parts and a lot of people that need to be consulted with the league, the two teams, and possibly even the teams those teams play this weekend if this impacts their schedules.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Oh man I have no way to even remotely guess with the limited information we have. It seemed like they bagged him quickly and he is intubated so that wouldn’t be my primary concern. But CC has a 30% fatality rate even with immediate care, that number might be better with the level of care he got so quickly.
What’s required to move from critical to stable condition? Also thank you for providing your expertise here (which I imagine is a lot better than Twitter and Reddit)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Jeez, everyone was in shock. If you're going to criticize the NFL for giving them 5 minutes, then criticize the Bills coach for trying to hype is team up, or Stephon Diggs.

It was a traumatic moment. People don't think straight in traumatic moments. You have to take a breath and get it together. Its not like they actually played afterwards. Criticizing anyone about the response or specific words they said is just moronic.
I don't disagree with you, but one of the first things that's going to happen is that people will look for someone to blame. It's already happening. Like it or not, I guarantee you PR folks were consulted in the decision to ultimately stop the game tonight. Hell, they probably wrote the statement that the league sent out. It's not pleasant, but PR, optics, and the overall narrative of the incident were being discussed from the moment the severity of the incident became apparent. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business, and the handling of an incident like this is not something they can assume that people will give them the benefit of the doubt on.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
It took way too long. And for them to say 5 minute delay is egregious.
I think the decision could've been made sooner, but we are talking about something that has pretty much never happened in the history of the game. I think the 5 minute thing is a little overblown. Probably standard procedure and then everyone was like "hold on wait a minute"

If they (the league) actually tried to get them to go out there and play, that would be egregious. I don't think that was ever seriously close to happening

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nobody (ESPN / NFL / Players / Coaches) should be judged for their comments or actions in those 20 to 30 minutes. All we’re trying to just figure it out. NFL got to the right answer.

Shock whether it be physical or emotional can do some crazy things.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes. Maybe allow the people that mean the most to him outside of his family to accompany him instead of waiting in a locker room?
As someone who was an EMT and ambulance crew for 15+ years on a fairly busy crew, you never want someone riding along with in the ambulance in these situations. Someone upfront is tolerable, in the back is not ideal.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
As someone who was an EMT and ambulance crew for 15+ years on a fairly busy crew, you never want someone riding along with in the ambulance in these situations. Someone upfront is tolerable, in the back is not ideal.
On that note I did hear on ESPN that his mom was in the ambulance with him.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What’s required to move from critical to stable condition? Also thank you for providing your expertise here (which I imagine is a lot better than Twitter and Reddit)

Those two things are different- you can be in critical condition and also stable, meaning you're in a bad place but things aren't actively getting worse at the moment. (Jeremy Renner, for instance, was reported in that status today)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Nobody (ESPN / NFL / Players / Coaches) should be judged for their comments or actions in those 20 to 30 minutes. All we’re trying to just figure it out. NFL got to the right answer.

It took a lot longer than 20-30 mins.

As soon as Goodell saw a player laying on the field and receiving CPR…. it was game over…. no choice to even be made.

Listen to Ryan Clark right now…. he knows.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah sorry meant at the hospital. Nope wait in the locker room, we might have a game to play!!

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
If what happened is what some of the speculation in this thread is saying it is then I wonder if some people hang it up? It sounds like it's something that you can't really control and is just something that could happen to anyone.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My sister had a brain fracture as a child. They put my mom in the ambulance and my dad followed it at 90 mph. That’s not ideal either but everybody lived.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
It took a lot longer than 20-30 mins.

As soon as Goodell saw a player laying on the field and receiving CPR…. it was game over…. no choice to even be made.

Listen to Ryan Clark right now…. he knows.
And that was probably when the decision was made. However the process of cancelling and communicating the sudden cancellation of a NFL game from logistics to traffic to TV is not a snap of the fingers type action.

All the people here jumping on their soap box with their outrage are quite frankly, gross.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Easy to critique afterward when you're not having to react in the moment.

Likely the rules called for a 5 minute delay after an injury like this. It was realized pretty quickly that wouldnt be adequate, so both coaches mutually agreed to suspend play, which also would be allowed for by the rules.

From that point, moving to the ultimate decisions after that is a matter that has a lot of moving parts and a lot of people that need to be consulted with the league, the two teams, and possibly even the teams those teams play this weekend if this impacts their schedules.
So the NFL didn’t have a plan for this?
If not, the dude was getting CPR for 9 minutes….
I’m not asking for split second decisions here.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So believe it or not we’re not really supposed to use stable as a term when someone is still in critical condition but we do anyways because people always ask. Stable typically would mean that someone’s vitals are steady and not much more then that.