Bruce Weber is an Excellent Coach

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He's having an excellent run right now and had a solid year but he really struggled at K State up until this point. I mean his seat was getting warm for a reason but good for K State fans like @surly who stuck with him to get to see it pay off this year

• Agree
Reactions: surly

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We need more Bruce Weber threads.

My honest opinion: Seems like a nice guy, obviously knows his basketball, seems to get good recruits, is goofy as hell, and has the most ridiculous sideline antics/movements.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
So why did Clay Custer transfer out of ISU. Was he not a fit in Prohm's plans? Seeing how he's playing for Loyola Chi makes me wonder what it could have been had he not transferred. I know things don't always work, but the kid can play ball. Just happy it is working out for him right now.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
So why did Clay Custer transfer out of ISU. Was he not a fit in Prohm's plans? Seeing how he playing for Loyola Chi makes wonder what it could have been had he not transferred. I know things don't always work, but the kid can play ball. Just happy it is working out for him right now.

Prohm wasn't here.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Reactions: CyclonesMoney

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Weber is a fine coach. People forget, I guess, that Marcus Foster cratered Weber's first rebuilding job.

He took Frank's players to a conference championship banner share in year one. No one has done that since. K-State hadn't since the 80's.

Then he builds his own outfit around Foster, Wes Iwundu, DJ Johnson and others. But Foster mentally loses it his sophomore year and is given the run along with a handful of others. Weber has to start all over.

He gets Barry Brown, Kam Stokes and Dean Wade as his next core. A year later, he adds a 4*, Xavier Sneed. Then this year's freshmen. Now they're outperforming expectations by a country mile because they play their asses off on the defensive end of the court.

This is his 4th NCAA in six years. His players love him. And all of them return next season. Quirky, yes. But he can coach 'em up. People shouldn't question that anymore.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just getting it out there. Bruce is really getting it done, and it's worth saying that he's an excellent coach.

His style can be ugly and infuriating, but the results are pretty clear this year. So, hats off to Bruce on a great job.

Going for the double reverse jinx. Good call.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
8 16 5, give him a lifetime contract.

Bingo. One close win over a 5 seed Kentucky does not erase the full body of work to this point. The bracket opened up for them, all Bruce did was avoid screwing it up.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Bingo. One close win over a 5 seed Kentucky does not erase the full body of work to this point. The bracket opened up for them, all Bruce did was avoid screwing it up.
They finished 4th in a tough big 12 and are in the elite 8. Neither prohm or hoiberg has gotten that far in the NCAAs. Hoiberg lost to a 7 seed in the sweet 16 (though that team won the whole thing) and a 14 seed in the first round. We shouldn’t discredit him because other teams lost.

• Agree
Reactions: CRAZYGREG

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
I was shocked that K-State was able to play with UK considering Wade was out and UK had such a huge size advantage. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop but it never did.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
They finished 4th in a tough big 12 and are in the elite 8. Neither prohm or hoiberg has gotten that far in the NCAAs. Hoiberg lost to a 7 seed in the sweet 16 (though that team won the whole thing) and a 14 seed in the first round. We shouldn’t discredit him because other teams lost.

While I don't think Fred's losses are pertinent here, I agree with your point.
Just look around the bracket this year. Getting wins is a huge achievement in the tournament in general,and this year is crazy. Plenty of coaches have had a path laid out for them and couldn't get it done.