Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Weren't the construction crew working on the bridge told to get off? Or was there not enough time?

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
The debate on how to attack the right hand piece of the 2 in the Federal Channel must be on going. They talk about the left hand piece. But not much thought on the piece resting on the boat. That would be an interesting discussion to listen to.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Weren't the construction crew working on the bridge told to get off? Or was there not enough time?
I think they said the cops had just shut down the bridge and were in the process of driving up there to alert the construction crew when it collapsed. They made it sound like it was only about 3 minutes between the mayday calls and the collapse.

Jeff Ostroff on YouTube has a really good analysis about the collapse on his channel.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
So...can multinational corporations use this tragic incident as an excuse to raise prices for various goods? I want to be wrong, but the Covid terror was used as an excuse, due to supply chain issues, they said. Why won't they do it again? Please don't let this be a black swan event.....
Short answer, yes. Slightly longer answer with a bit of thought: but it’s such an isolated event that there will be competition that can take advantage of this isolated event impacting pricing.

COVID and supply chain impacting nearly everyone. So everything had to absorb/teact.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Has any analysis of how many people might have normally been on the bridge at that time of night been reported on? Or how many cars were stopped at both ends?
I'm not an expert but I would have expected the casualties to be in the hundreds during rush hour had they not been alerted or closed down the bridge in any capacity prior to the collapse.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
It's part of a Tollway - I doubt most normal roads would be so easy to close, but they were also doing road construction on the bridge deck at the time (which are the casualties)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
These guys 100% saved lives. But, I didn’t hear a ton of urgency in their voice, so I’m not sure they realized the ramifications of the situation they were in

I do wonder how often this happens without an incident and thus no one knows about it? With as calm as they sounded, I wonder if it is more frequent than we realize that a ship may lose power for a time and the bridge must be closed as precaution. Cause if this was an isolated incident, that’s pretty incredible that they had the procedure down for something like this.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I do wonder how often this happens without an incident and thus no one knows about it? With as calm as they sounded, I wonder if it is more frequent than we realize that a ship may lose power for a time and the bridge must be closed as precaution. Cause if this was an isolated incident, that’s pretty incredible that they had the procedure down for something like this.

I'm not saying you're wrong... but on the flip side, what does a bridge operator do other than this? It feels like to me that this is their 1 job.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Chase away trolls, keep the waters un-troubled, ask adventurers questions about swallows. You know, bridge stuff.

giphy.gif

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I look at it as hopefully the family has better closure maybe?
For sure, I get it. I was just making light of the fact that there was a pretty funny comment, then an immediate snap back to reality when the gravity of the situation returns. Like the feel good 'I Want It That Way' open on Brooklyn 99 stopped dead by 'Number 5 killed my brother'.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron