Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
After using the google machine, I discovered that she's not from Iowa but her first husband was. They divorced in 2008. He is from Comanche, which I learned is near Clinton, and went to Morningside College before becoming a pro basketball player in the UK. Most importantly, his last name is Siemon and he grew up near Beaver Island.
I have played non-professional basketball in Comanche.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I don’t want to diminish the bridge workers who died, but this sounds like good communication in crisis.
Yeah, no way to get in contact with them other than physically, and had to stop traffic first. Minutes either way kills more or saves more, pretty tough situation.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

HighLeakageCy

Jan 3, 2024
Yeah, no way to get in contact with them other than physically, and had to stop traffic first. Minutes either way kills more or saves more, pretty tough situation.

The guy was like “I’ll drive up there and get them” with no regard for his own life.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
You make a lot of reasonable points in a vacuum. But how many times is it feasible to keep putting larger and larger pilings up as ships get bigger? What impact speed should they be rated to stop? Should we spend the money making sure ships don't knock it down, or keeping the structure from degrading and falling down? How many bridges just like this also need the same protection? It's a question of risk mitigation vs risk elimination and we don't have limitless money, labor and engineering resources. This is the wrapping your children in bubble wrap solution.

Horrible tragedy, without question. So are car accidents, plane crashes and nuclear reactor meltdowns. We all understand those things are possible. Nothing exists without some level of risk. Look at all the butt puckering confessions just by this group. I get taking the one-is-too-many stance here, especially today, but that's not reality. No one close to this accident uttered the words "**** happens". No one saw THIS coming and ignored it. This is crushing for the thousands of people who put their lives into keep this port safe, and daunting for the thousands who will be mobilized to investigate and rebuild. We'll learn from it and be better for those learnings, but there's going to be a next thing. Risk mitigation is how we avoided all the other things that were much more likely to have happened but didn't.
Certainly, you make good points, but I have to take offense to "wrapping children in bubble wrap". I only point to the Delaware/New Jersey consortium who are in the process of building Islands to protect a bridge in one of their seaport bridges due to the size of modern ships. My point is not about individual deaths caused by this accident, which of course is horrible. But this was a major transportation nexus, and in my mind was below modern standards, and should have been modernized. It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to install adequate "bumpers" than to rebuild this bridge, let alone the additional cost to the economy to less optimal shipping/ supply chain ports for the next few years. This "accident" was not caused by an "act of god" and could have been prevented by reasonable human intervention, if we can manage resources effectively.

• Informative
Reactions: drmwevr08

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Certainly, you make good points, but I have to take offense to "wrapping children in bubble wrap". I only point to the Delaware/New Jersey consortium who are in the process of building Islands to protect a bridge in one of their seaport bridges due to the size of modern ships. My point is not about individual deaths caused by this accident, which of course is horrible. But this was a major transportation nexus, and in my mind was below modern standards, and should have been modernized. It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to install adequate "bumpers" than to rebuild this bridge, let alone the additional cost to the economy to less optimal shipping/ supply chain ports for the next few years. This "accident" was not caused by an "act of god" and could have been prevented by reasonable human intervention, if we can manage resources effectively.
I certainly didn't mean any offense and some of my thoughts were also broadly responding to the overall thread conversation. Who tf are any of us to speak in terms of right or wrong on the subject we're just observers. I deal with these sort of things by thinking out loud, and frankly I've found a lot of interesting information in the first dozen or so pages.

I don't know much about this specific bridge and absolutely agree that a focused effort to protect this bridge from an incident of this type was within the reach of engineering design, probably for decades. I was shocked at how shallow the water is in that area. 50' assuming that graphic was correct, which seems to be reasonable given photos of the bridge structure still visible. Some sort of earthen berm seems reasonable.

What I'm getting at is that someone, or more likely a task force or committee, had to weigh that option against a rail bridge in Ohio and an elevated interchange in Phoenix and decide which is in most critical need of funding.

We know we're dangerously behind on infrastructure spending and maintenance and incidents like this continue to underscore it in blood. Maybe this bridge had been identified as needing dire attention and that wasn't acted on fast enough. I haven't seen that come out in the reporting yet, but you certainly have more direct knowledge than I do. My bigger point is that ships that big have been passing within a couple hundred feet of that piling for years. We had the potential for that to have happened thousands and thousands of times. It was mitigated by a web of safeguards. Backup generators, harbormasters, modern navigation aids, etc. Those safeguards and many others kept that bridge safe for 50 years. One single breakdown of all of those safeguards took down the bridge. Perfect storm cliche fits well here. I absolutely don't want to diminish how absolutely devastating the scale of this accident was. Fortunately our failures are usually far less costly than this in terms of both lives and dollars, but should our automatic response be to bumper every piling that can interact with a ship that large? I think the proposed solution will be more nuanced than that.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Now you’ve got me worried about shartnadoes. How can our infrastructure be prepared for those? :oops:o_O
We learned a lot about how our airports and highways react during one of those events after the big one that struck Raleigh in 1965. Hopefully we'll be better prepares for the next one.

• Haha
Reactions: HOTDON

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
This "accident" was not caused by an "act of god" and could have been prevented by reasonable human intervention, if we can manage resources effectively.

I don't think we know that yet.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
2 way radios are an easy way to stay in contact with people. In a dangerous situation like working on this bridge at night. There may not have been enough time to get off the part of the bridge that collapsed, it only takes a couple seconds to warn the workers.
I worked at an ethanol plant and during shut down times we might have 70-100 contractors on site 24 hours a day. Each crew got a radio to carry on their person so we could quickly notify them in case of danger, so everyone could get to safety. Each crew went through a safety meeting, so they knew where safe areas were that they were supposed to go to if the situation came up.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Port of Baltimore has limits on ship sizes. The port is not deep enough to take larger ships.

The size of the ship that hit the bridge is probably one of the smaller Trans Atlantic/Pacific ships still available.

If they don't take that they probably would need to start shutting their doors.

The Maritime industry is one of building bigger ships first and worry about infrastructure last. That is why backlogs at the ports is some of the worst in history.

It probably would make more sense to do a tunnel vs a new bridge at this point, if the ground allows
Tunnels are great but limit hazardous cargo traffic. This bridge took pretty much all of such traffic since other routes already are tunnels.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I imagine this will have a ripple effect on safety for ports.

Already, 46 Columbia River Bar pilots go through years of training before navigating $50 billion worth of cargo through the Columbia River annually.
Those pilots take over navigation of ships after Columbia River Bar pilots pilot the ships into and out of the river from the Pacific Ocean.
Many Columbia River pilots operate a tugboat for years before training to become a pilot, Nielsen said.
“Our training program is 2.5 years long,” Nielsen said. “It’s very intensive — and after that, we have continued education.”
Pilots then go through simulations of emergency events to prepare for worst-case scenarios, Nielsen explained.
When navigating boats underneath bridges, Nielsen said pilots are in communication with bridge operators. They can also call on tugboats or the Coast Guard for help. Pilots also communicate with each other throughout the day, alerting one another of potential dangers along the Columbia, Nielsen said.
“To be a pilot on this river, you have many, many years of experience,” Nielsen said.

cyzygy11

Oct 27, 2007
Hinton, IA
So...can multinational corporations use this tragic incident as an excuse to raise prices for various goods? I want to be wrong, but the Covid terror was used as an excuse, due to supply chain issues, they said. Why won't they do it again? Please don't let this be a black swan event.....

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So...can multinational corporations use this tragic incident as an excuse to raise prices for various goods? I want to be wrong, but the Covid terror was used as an excuse, due to supply chain issues, they said. Why won't they do it again? Please don't let this be a black swan event.....

If they have that kind of market power where they can set prices however they want whenever they want then they don't need to wait for some paper-thin fig leaf of an excuse like that to do it.

Others with more knowledge of shipping patterns have pointed out, too, that the port of Baltimore is a relatively small share of East Coast port capacity and the spring is off-peak for shipping traffic. There should be plenty of capacity at the remaining eastern ports (e.g., NY/NJ or Norfolk) to take up the slack.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
So...buy toilet paper now?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Reading the accounts of how quickly the captain called to get the bridge closed, and local authorities acted on it, is truly amazing. Has any analysis of how many people might have normally been on the bridge at that time of night been reported on? Or how many cars were stopped at both ends?

I also wonder what this would have looked like had it happened at 1:30 in the afternoon instead of 1:30 in the morning. Or during rush hour. Asking just for curiosity's sake.

Help Support Us

Become a patron