Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
If you have a moon roof, why not just install an ejection seat?
If such a rarity needs an ejection why not have a....(not trying to be overly cute, I am familiar with the bridge, but traversed the one to Dover Del just south of this one when my kid was working an DC.)
12cf9b1b6fb48a82c3267f434de1207d-600x900.jpg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What do you mean? This is awesome. She did her research, uncovered some serious technical specs and facts, combined it in a timeline that works, and created one heck of a beginning to a Tom Clancy book.
I didn't know she was from Iowa like cg said. Maybe she is from Newton and curt can look her up?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I didn't know she was from Iowa like cg said. Maybe she is from Newton and curt can look her up?
After using the google machine, I discovered that she's not from Iowa but her first husband was. They divorced in 2008. He is from Comanche, which I learned is near Clinton, and went to Morningside College before becoming a pro basketball player in the UK. Most importantly, his last name is Siemon and he grew up near Beaver Island.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
After using the google machine, I discovered that she's not from Iowa but her first husband was. They divorced in 2008. He is from Comanche, which I learned is near Clinton, and went to Morningside College before becoming a pro basketball player in the UK. Most importantly, his last name is Siemon and he grew up near Beaver Island.
No other place like beaver island.

Reactions: jcyclonee

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You do understand that what you described is actually the responsibility of the county and not state or federal? It seems many people don't understand the difference between who maintains which roads/bridges and their general funding sources.
While correct, most of these projects are getting accomplished at the local level with federal funding.

Reactions: DurangoCy

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Because Maritime Law usually protects them. Not always, but usually.

And the US collects billions in harbor maintenance fees on customs entries to pay for such things.
Wonder where that money is saved and earmarked for this?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That way you don't even need the bridge. Teslas are supposed to be able to drive through water, maybe Elon can make them like tiny submarines and then you can have a car lane underwater that shuts down for the ships to go over the top

Through or on?

If it's 'on', I may have rethink buying one.

If it's just 'through', well that's just boring.

Reactions: wxman1

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Been wondering why no one was able to notify the work crew. Seems the time window was very short so couldn't get done in time. :(

Following the mayday alarm, a dispatcher’s 12-second warning crackled over the radio: “There’s a ship approaching that’s just lost their steering so until they’ve got that under control we’ve got to stop all traffic.”
Within about 90 seconds, police officers responded that they had managed to stop vehicle traffic over the bridge in both directions.
One official said he was about to drive onto the bridge to alert a construction crew, but it was too late.
With the ship barreling toward the bridge at "a very, very rapid speed", authorities had just enough time to stop cars, Maryland governor Wes Moore said. - The Independent

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Wonder where that money is saved and earmarked for this?
I suspect given the age of the bridge and the fact the port needs to be dredged so larger ships can come in, there was a plan in the near future.

Now they probably switch up some of the proiritied

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I suspect given the age of the bridge and the fact the port needs to be dredged so larger ships can come in, there was a plan in the near future.

Now they probably switch up some of the proiritied

Different time and different political climate but the Senate and House passed a special funding bill and Bush signed it only three days after the Mpls bridge collapse in August 2007. That replacement was an incredible fast track of funding/contracting/design/construction. Maybe the most amazing thing I ever worked on. I was the Corps of Engineers liaison for that project (the bridge fell on our lock so lots of utility, navigation and real estate ******** to deal with). Was nice to be able to just be part of the effort that absolutely steamrolled all of the usual bureaucracy and petty little turf wars.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Been wondering why no one was able to notify the work crew. Seems the time window was very short so couldn't get done in time. :(

Following the mayday alarm, a dispatcher’s 12-second warning crackled over the radio: “There’s a ship approaching that’s just lost their steering so until they’ve got that under control we’ve got to stop all traffic.”
Within about 90 seconds, police officers responded that they had managed to stop vehicle traffic over the bridge in both directions.
One official said he was about to drive onto the bridge to alert a construction crew, but it was too late.
With the ship barreling toward the bridge at "a very, very rapid speed", authorities had just enough time to stop cars, Maryland governor Wes Moore said. - The Independent
What a job by authorities to get traffic stopped in 90 seconds. That is amazing and heroic.

Also a tragedy and a blessing it didn’t take a minute longer. I doubt the officers could have gotten all 6 construction workers to safety in that little of time

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
That way you don't even need the bridge. Teslas are supposed to be able to drive through water, maybe Elon can make them like tiny submarines and then you can have a car lane underwater that shuts down for the ships to go over the top

Elon got beat out by the Chinese. Check out the BYD YangWang. An SUV that drives in water and can do other cool **** like tank turn in a perfect 360. Elon's **** just pits and rusts when it gets wet.

Reactions: HighLeakageCy

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
On water right-of-ways are always favorable to shipping. They had unhindered passage on all navigable waters. The law (generally) looks at bridges and anything else put in the water as a hazard to shipping.

The laws go back at least to before the Civil War. There's a famous case of Effie Afton that hit a Mississippi River bridge about a month after it was completed and burned it (the bridge) to the ground(water?). The Effie Afton was cleared of any liability. (Abraham Lincoln was one of the lawyers. I think on the losing side,)
Maritime law is definitely its own thing. Probably the biggest thing to understand is the Limitations of Liability Act, which basically limits the ship owner's liability to the value of the vessel plus any and all cargo on board at the time of the accident. That liability includes the cost of replacing the bridge, damages to the families of those that died, and anyone else damaged by the port being out of commission or being unable to use the bridge and it's pretty clear it'll be peanuts.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
So the bridge protection system could not have been updated as the size of ships grew? Or Baltimore Harbor limited to certain size ships? We have upgraded airports to take larger planes, including cargo planes. We often limit tractor trailers based on tonnage and limit routes hazardous materials can traverse. All of this done often after original construction.

I am sure they will take a look at waterway safety in the future, after this tragedy, but it would be nice if we can start foreseeing and limiting these accidents. Or else we can just add a nickel to the gas tax, or a few billion to the debt; and go on with blinders and no accountability cause "**** happens".
You make a lot of reasonable points in a vacuum. But how many times is it feasible to keep putting larger and larger pilings up as ships get bigger? What impact speed should they be rated to stop? Should we spend the money making sure ships don't knock it down, or keeping the structure from degrading and falling down? How many bridges just like this also need the same protection? It's a question of risk mitigation vs risk elimination and we don't have limitless money, labor and engineering resources. This is the wrapping your children in bubble wrap solution.

Horrible tragedy, without question. So are car accidents, plane crashes and nuclear reactor meltdowns. We all understand those things are possible. Nothing exists without some level of risk. Look at all the butt puckering confessions just by this group. I get taking the one-is-too-many stance here, especially today, but that's not reality. No one close to this accident uttered the words "**** happens". No one saw THIS coming and ignored it. This is crushing for the thousands of people who put their lives into keep this port safe, and daunting for the thousands who will be mobilized to investigate and rebuild. We'll learn from it and be better for those learnings, but there's going to be a next thing. Risk mitigation is how we avoided all the other things that were much more likely to have happened but didn't.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Audio gives a pretty good indication.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron