Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Happened to catch the live stream during their press conference. At first, the camera they were using wasn't plugged into an audio multbox, but this is what I caught. (I think)

- Two people pulled from the water so far. One refused treatment(!), the other was taken to a local trauma center in very serious condition
- Many, many, many law enforcement agencies involved with search & rescue
- The ship has yet to be boarded as they have to assess the structural integrity of that ship before they can.

Just yikes yikes yikes.

Reactions: Nor'easter

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
can see an oily sheen on the water now. they mentioned the smell of diesel.... ship i assume

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Curious on the timeline of how quickly it collapsed after impact from the ship. I'm a little shocked they let traffic continue over it, so it must have all happened pretty quickly.

Edit: not familiar with the East Coast so Googled the location. That looks to be a fairly major artery for the city being the southern most road to cross the river. Rebuilding a 1.4 mile bridge is going to take a while.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Assuming I'm reading all this correctly, looks like the ship just left Baltimore and was headed for Sri Lanka. It's a ship owned by Singapore.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Curious on the timeline of how quickly it collapsed after impact from the ship. I'm a little shocked they let traffic continue over it, so it must have all happened pretty quickly.
No time...ship was adrift and struck one of the two main support columns. Bridge collapsed within a couple of seconds. The ship basically powdered the column. Absolutely a miracle that it happened late at night. Would think it will be months (if not more) to replace given the destruction of one main column and obvious structural issues with the other column.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
No time...ship was adrift and struck one of the two main support columns. Bridge collapsed within a couple of seconds. The ship basically powdered the column. Absolutely a miracle that it happened late at night. Would think it will be months (if not more) to replace given the destruction of one main column and obvious structural issues with the other column.
Thanks for the context, skimmed a couple websites and couldn't really find any on how quickly it occurred and was tough to tell from the video.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

Edit: not familiar with the East Coast so Googled the location. That looks to be a fairly major artery for the city being the southern most road to cross the river. Rebuilding a 1.4 mile bridge is going to take a while.

Apparently it’s part of the I-695 loop around Baltimore, which sounds like a pretty key part of the city’s highway infrastructure. If you’re going from BWI up I-95 towards Wilmington/Philadelphia you might take this route to avoid going through Baltimore itself.

(And the “key” - “Francis Scott Key” play on words there was entirely unintentional)

IMG_4122.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Letterkenny

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Been across that bridge before. Just that feeing of helplessness for those that were on it when it collapsed.
It's the randomness/terrible luck of being on that bridge at that exact time that makes it terrifying.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
My biggest fear is dying in the water. This just compounds my fears. Being on a bridge, ship hits pillar, bridge collapses, and you crash into the body of water below and probably drown. I even think about drowning going over the mile long bridge at Saylorville.
The mile long bridge makes me tense up every time. Really narrow with zero shoulder, relatively high speeds, short guardrail and gusty crosswinds.

Mar 21, 2021
Horrific. Was in B'more last week. Often when I cross the 10-lane American Legion Bridge in DC burbs, contemplate the incredible weight on it packed with rush-hour vehicles, feel lucky just to get across....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron