BREAKING: Otzelberger accepts position at Washington

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
TJ has been a great asset to this team but the primary reason he was kept here was not only the fact that he was a great recruiter, but the incoming class and those on the roster were there because of TJ. I know when GM left for Creighton Ejim was basing his decision on if Otz left too. I would prefer to have him on the staff, but he was needed much more then than he is now.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I know it's probably my biased thinking too highly of Iowa State, but it just feels like there is more to this then just leaving for a so called new opportunity to advance his career. I won't speculate beyond that, but I will say as much as I hate to lose TJ and appreciate all the things he has done, I think Mann has developed into our most valuable assistant coach. I don't expect Fred to hire a name many of us will know, but yet a high quality assistant that he is comfortable with that brings something specific to the equation, similar to the Matt A hire.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
If his goal was to be a head coach someday, he couldn't stay any longer than he already did. Eight years is a long time for an assistant/ops man to be at one place, so I can't say I'm surprised with the move.

I hope he succeeds wherever it is that he ends up unless they're playing in Hilton.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I know it's probably my biased thinking too highly of Iowa State, but it just feels like there is more to this then just leaving for a so called new opportunity to advance his career. I won't speculate beyond that, but I will say as much as I hate to lose TJ and appreciate all the things he has done,.

I was subtly asking the same - so now I'll be more direct; I wonder if the Phone-Log investigation is contributing to the decision in some way. just wondering, nobody should flip out....

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I was subtly asking the same - so now I'll be more direct; I wonder if the Phone-Log investigation is contributing to the decision in some way. just wondering, nobody should flip out....

I may be naive, but I kind of doubt it. He has been an assistant of some sort for 7-8 seasons here. Between his new family life and just wanting to get his career moving, he felt it was a good move.

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
The loss is significant. He was the lead recruiter for many of ISU's recruits and transfers.

TJs impact meshed perfectly with Hoiberg's philosophy and he (TJ) was able to bring in players that fit well with how FH wanted to run the team ... more athletic, more NBA-ish philosophy vs. the previous regime.

Any program having to replace their lead recruiter is going to take a hit. Not that FH is a bad recruiter but he like every other high major coach is the closer ... he takes the interested recruits and finishes the deal off ... without TJ you never get Matt Thomas or Korie Lucious or George Niang anywhere near the finish line.

The real hit is going to be next season's recruiting class because the staff will have to re-establish relationships and that is going to take some time and effort.

As for TJ, don't forget he has several years working for the Pump Brothers in California. He's got deep roots in that region and will be effectie for Washington.

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
I know it's probably my biased thinking too highly of Iowa State, but it just feels like there is more to this then just leaving for a so called new opportunity to advance his career. I won't speculate beyond that, but I will say as much as I hate to lose TJ and appreciate all the things he has done, I think Mann has developed into our most valuable assistant coach. I don't expect Fred to hire a name many of us will know, but yet a high quality assistant that he is comfortable with that brings something specific to the equation, similar to the Matt A hire.
Lets see Mann bring in the recruits that TJ has brought in. Kind of doubt he's anywhere as good as Otzelberger!

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
He was expecting at least some opportunities to interview for a head coaching position. Nothing materialized. ISU had two very good seasons which should have been (in his mind) the springboard for head coaching opportunities. Truthfully next year is likely to be more of a struggle for ISU and therefore his perceived visibility and marketability is going to take a hit.

He's getting out at the right time, going to a Pac12 contending program and will utilize and leverage both experiences into a head coaching position!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Hmmmm, this smells a lot like a friend of the family sort of poster. Interesting.

Yep. Let's not make make TJ out to be the face of ISU basketball or the reason for its success. He did a great job while he was here, cyclone nation respects him and wishes him the best, but we'll be just fine without him.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yep. Let's not make make TJ out to be the face of ISU basketball or the reason for its success. He did a great job while he was here, cyclone nation respects him and wishes him the best, but we'll be just fine without him.
Long term, yes, but it is likely to be a blow to (at least) the Class of 2014, which would be felt for several years.

Spam

May 21, 2008
He was expecting at least some opportunities to interview for a head coaching position. Nothing materialized. ISU had two very good seasons which should have been (in his mind) the springboard for head coaching opportunities. Truthfully next year is likely to be more of a struggle for ISU and therefore his perceived visibility and marketability is going to take a hit.

He's getting out at the right time, going to a Pac12 contending program and will utilize and leverage both experiences into a head coaching position!

Didnt he interview at Drake?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Long term, yes, but it is likely to be a blow to (at least) the Class of 2014, which would be felt for several years.

a blow to the class of 2014 like how by losing Custer? You dont think we have a good chance at landing all these guys we have all had targeted anyways and you dont think CFH will be able to bridge that gap until a new replacement is named?

Spam

May 21, 2008

Yeah well. Guys like Steve Wojciechowski have been at Duke for several years, and have not become head coaches anywhere. It's not an ISU thing.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
a blow to the class of 2014 like how by losing Custer? You dont think we have a good chance at landing all these guys we have all had targeted anyways and you dont think CFH will be able to bridge that gap until a new replacement is named?
It remains to be seen. If Doc is picked, recruiting will not remain at the same level. You nneed people who can speak the same language as the young kids. TJ was the face of recruiting while Fred was the closer. Fred is more low key and he needs a extraordinary recruiter. Not sure the other two assistants fit that category.