BOWL: Liberty Bowl vs Memphis Dec 29

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Shreveport is a dump. Not excited about Memphis but its 100% a better destination than Shreveport.
I've been to the Liberty Bowl. On the way to the stadium they had bars on all the windows of houses and businesses. I'm not how sure how much worse Shreveport can possibly get.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Trying to get the tickets, it keeps telling me I have to answer questions and when I do I get shot to another site. Anyone successful yet?
Welp...it took me a half an hour but I got 'er done!
I'm excited! This is our first bowl game ever!!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've been to the Liberty Bowl. On the way to the stadium they had bars on all the windows of houses and businesses. I'm not how sure how much worse Shreveport can possibly get.

If you're spending any parts of your time in memphis in the crappy parts of town other than driving by, you're doing it wrong. There's a lot more fun in Memphis. What's there to do in Shreveport? Gamble?

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Get to see our old friend, Joseph Scates. Maybe force him to fumble! :p

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Every large to medium city is going to have bad areas which would have bars on businesses. If this is your threshold of a bad city...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
What site are you on?
Went through my ISU account for the tickets, then through the Alumni Assn for the package. I was in just too much of a hurry - didn't want to get shut out.

And I'm going to quit reading this thread. I'm excited, and there are way too many pissy people in here. Not gonna let them spoil it for me!

If you're going, let's take it to RTT...

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Agree that the area around the stadium is not great. But there is decent tailgating, and no reason to go to that part of town until game day. Beale Street more than makes up for it.

Let's be honest, the neighborhood around the Camping/Cheezit/PopTart Stadium is also crap. Hell, even the Rose Bowl is in a sketch area of town.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I will be there. I went in 2012 and 2017 as well.
It really is a great bowl experience and maybe just maybe, the temperatures will actually be in the 50s this time. The only negative is playing Memphis again but it will make for a great bowl environment .

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I will be there. I went in 2012 and 2017 as well.
It really is a great bowl experience and maybe just maybe, the temperatures will actually be in the 50s this time. The only negative is playing Memphis again but it will make for a great bowl environment .

Yeah, you figure one of these years the weather will be good down there. There are plenty of years that Iowa is pretty nice at Christmas. It's some bad luck that in 2017 it was record cold in Memphis.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Agree that the area around the stadium is not great. But there is decent tailgating, and no reason to go to that part of town until game day. Beale Street more than makes up for it.

Let's be honest, the neighborhood around the Camping/Cheezit/PopTart Stadium is also crap. Hell, even the Rose Bowl is in a sketch area of town.
The Rose Bowl is definitely not in a sketch area of town.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I would be lying if I said this draw wasn't disappointing. I don't have an issue with the Liberty Bowl and I think most fans would have signed up for that result going into this season. The issue is playing Memphis...again...in their own damn home stadium. I was there in 2017 and the atmosphere was super unique and amazing, but doing it again isn't nearly as fun. I would have loved to get any SEC team in this draw instead.

Feels like ISU got screwed over by a few things. Mizzou/Ole Miss both getting into a NY6 and OU relegated to the Alamo bowl knocked the SEC up a couple selections and the Big 12 down one. Plus I weirdly think ISU-Memphis having such a good showing in 2017 made this matchup more exciting for the bowl reps, when in reality I think both fan bases are disappointed.

Oh well, hope those who go have a blast and we get that 8th win (haven't had a lot of those in ISU history).

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Eh TCU in Houston is not a road game.
No, not in the sense of literally playing an opponent in their home stadium, but playing someone three hours from their home wouldn't be exciting then or today.