BOWL: Liberty Bowl vs Memphis Dec 29

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Last time we played in the Liberty Bowl... they wouldn't allow any of the band members to leave their hotel... too dangerous. That is not a lie... I knew a band member that was there.

They were only allowed to leave for a guided tour of Graceland, and a pep rally that had security.

At the Alamo, if they weren't supposed to be somewhere for an event... then they were free to do whatever they wanted in San Antonio... just roam the Riverwalk, go to the Alamo, or the Tower of the Americas, etc, etc.

Band members I knew hated the Memphis experience bad.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Last time we played in the Liberty Bowl... they wouldn't allow any of the band members to leave their hotel... too dangerous. That is not a lie... I knew a band member that was there.

They were only allowed to leave for a guided tour of Graceland, and a pep rally that had security.

At the Alamo, if they weren't supposed to be somewhere for an event... then they were free to do whatever they wanted in San Antonio... just roam the Riverwalk, go to the Alamo, or the Tower of the Americas, etc, etc.

Band members I knew hated the Memphis experience bad.

The best thing about memphis that I can remember (I went in 2012, not 2017) was going down and drinking on Beale street. But band members aren't allowed to drink on trips.

So yeah, I can see why that'd be a fairly boring trip.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So WV gets a 'better' bowl experience than us too huh? Nice.

Entirely comes down to picking regionally close opponents there. Memphis wanted us because we're close, Dukes would want WV because they're close

Reactions: jsb

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The best thing about memphis that I can remember (I went in 2012, not 2017) was going down and drinking on Beale street. But band members aren't allowed to drink on trips.

So yeah, I can see why that'd be a fairly boring trip.

They weren't allowed to leave their hotel for safety reasons in Memphis, not because they weren't allowed to drink.

In San Antonio, they had free reign to go wherever they wanted as long as they weren't supposed to be at an event.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Look at the PAC’s bowls that are not already vs big ten. Needs those.

San Diego, LA, Vegas, El Paso

Memphis has its plus side. Memphis the team better than I would have guessed.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Absolutely, I get it. I agree with teams hosting bowl games at their home field, but I hope y'all will join us and make the best of it. We really did LOVE having y'all last time.
We are not a fan but will try. That year for us was magical. I would imagine this year, not as many will make that trip but should show well.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I unfortunately won't be able to go this time but went to Memphis both times and never felt unsafe. Last time we stayed a couple blocks of Beale St and never felt unsafe walking back. There were a couple areas of town we drove by that seemed pretty rundown and rough but anywhere we went was fine.