BOWL: Liberty Bowl vs Memphis Dec 29

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Has anyone gone to the pre-game tailgate party before? I see tix are $52 which includes food - is alcohol included or available?

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
“I work hard for the money! So hard for the money! Oh what something, something money, come on give me lots of money!” IMG_6908.jpeg
Me at work Friday December 29th after lunch for the kickoff

Reactions: Nothingman

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The more I think about this, the more I would feel pissed if I was Memphis.
You know half the fun of a bowl game is to go somewhere. They get none of that. I can't imagine half the memphis fans will stay in hotels or more than a night. just don't get it.

It's different for G5 teams. They are always excited for a P5 match up, and outside of getting a NY6 game they generally don't get great locales for a bowl game. A Liberty bid is a pretty good draw for any of them. The bowl choosing Memphis just secures a good atmosphere in their minds.

For teams that are already from the south, the match-up is the primary factor since the destination aspect can't be as big a draw as it is for us up here.

• Winner
Reactions: jdubs

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Get over it. I have attended many ISU bowl games. Winning the bowl game makes the trip home much more enjoyable. When the bowl opponent has been a “step up” (LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, N Carolina St, TCU, Alabama, Washington State, Notre Dame, Clemson), ISU has lost. Oregon may be the exception but that was a undermanned squad and COVID impaired season. Excluding Oregon, Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Memphis may be our best bowl wins.Losses to Rutgers, Boise State and Tulsa were not good.
I blame Coaching

Kidding.

Lol

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I bet he meant LA Coliseum. That is in Watts, not the best place.
It’s not in Watts, it’s near Downtown LA. But yes, the entire area is not great where the Coliseum is. It will be eye-opening for Big Ten fans when they go out there to see their team play.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Random facts:
* Memphis went 5-2 in single digit games.
* Memphis only fills about 50-60% of stadium for home games
* Two losses were at home, one at neutral.
* Memphis scores more, but gives up more (against lesser competition)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Went through my ISU account for the tickets, then through the Alumni Assn for the package. I was in just too much of a hurry - didn't want to get shut out.

And I'm going to quit reading this thread. I'm excited, and there are way too many pissy people in here. Not gonna let them spoil it for me!

If you're going, let's take it to RTT...
Not this year. We’ll be in Oregon, so plan to watch from there.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Hope I'm wrong, but shouldn't we wait to see what players we have for the game before we start assuming a win? I have to think Memphis will be essentially full strength.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Well, I've read every post in this thread and several of them imply yeah we might get a win, but it's only over Memphis. No satisfaction in beating Memphis, etc.

So now it’s posts implying we might win? That seems to be different than assuming we’ll win.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This is our third time in this bowl game in 11 years and none of the 3 times were against the SEC tie-in the bowl is supposed to have, and 2 of them were road games instead of a neutral site.

The first time (2012) ISU was the at-large pick, replacing the SEC.

• Informative
Reactions: alarson

bradcyclone

Jan 25, 2009
West Virginia did not get selected for a Big 12 tie in bowl and ends up playing in the Dukes Mayo Bowl against UNC, how in the world did that happen?

Reactions: DBQR4CY

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Last time we played in the Liberty Bowl... they wouldn't allow any of the band members to leave their hotel... too dangerous. That is not a lie... I knew a band member that was there.

They were only allowed to leave for a guided tour of Graceland, and a pep rally that had security.

At the Alamo, if they weren't supposed to be somewhere for an event... then they were free to do whatever they wanted in San Antonio... just roam the Riverwalk, go to the Alamo, or the Tower of the Americas, etc, etc.

Band members I knew hated the Memphis experience bad.
the first time we were there don't remember the place we stayed but we were told to not park along the street behind the fence that was there due to potential vandalism to cars and somebody had 2 tires taken off their car.

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Hope I'm wrong, but shouldn't we wait to see what players we have for the game before we start assuming a win? I have to think Memphis will be essentially full strength.
The only guy who could potentially sit out is Tampa. Unsure of Verdon's injury status but for end of season that's about as close to 100% a team can get.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu