Botched execution in Oklahoma

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

This alone should be reason enough not to have the death penalty legal.

I dont believe it is ever acceptable to execute an innocent person. I also dont believe our justice system will ever be perfect in that regard. Therefore i dont believe the death penalty should be legal,as much as some of the most guilty might deserve it. Not as a merciful act towards the worst among us, but because of the innocents that do get caught up in the system.

This sums up my feelings pretty well too. And I'm sure 4% is a very conservative number.

Also says something when you are in such a minority that you have trouble finding someone that will let you buy the drugs necessary.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
The problem with execution is that it is not just executing guilty people, something like 4% of people on death row are innocent. And that is sickening.

Edit: didn't get to the last two pages before I posted, don't execute me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't buy this rehabilitation nonsense.

Records show that about 77% of felony criminals are repeat offenders with one prior arrest. Of these criminals 35% of them have 10 or more prior arrests.

A prior arrest could be for anything.

Also, these stats dont do much considering for the past few decades we've made very little effort to actually rehabilitate. Id wager most come out of prison worse than when they came in, especially when you add background checks being more commonplace for employment making it even harder for them to function in normal society.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
A prior arrest could be for anything.

Also, these stats dont do much considering for the past few decades we've made very little effort to actually rehabilitate. Id wager most come out of prison worse than when they came in, especially when you add background checks being more commonplace for employment making it even harder for them to function in normal society.

This is the problem. These criminals don't see prison as a place to be rehabilitated. They see it as a vacation from their criminal activities which they will resume the second they are released. Like you said... in a lot of cases these guys are worse when they get out then they were when they went into the prison system. What could possibly go wrong when you get a bunch of convicts together and let them interact? Yeah... they become more hardcore criminals.

If they really wanted to rehabilitate these people then each one would be held in solitary confinement. They wouldn't be able to see other inmates, interact with other inmates, etc... Complete solitude is the only way and that is never going to happen in the current prison system.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Prison is supposed to be more about separating dangers from society than about punishment and wherever possible (some people are obviously unredeemable) rehabilitating them to be contributing members of society. Unfortunately most people seem to have forgotten that.

Come on. Criminals and rehabilitation shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I mean, I understand what you mean. But there should be a special place in hell for people who rape, or abuse children, or something of that nature. I highly doubt there is any type of infrastructure in place in our prison systems that focus on rehabilitation. What would that even look like?

I want ant to make the generalization that bad people are bad people, but what defines bad? Our current system invokes too large of a grey area, IMO. Why are child molesters and rapists treated the same way as thieves and drug dealers?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
This is the problem. These criminals don't see prison as a place to be rehabilitated. They see it as a vacation from their criminal activities which they will resume the second they are released. Like you said... in a lot of cases these guys are worse when they get out then they were when they went into the prison system. What could possibly go wrong when you get a bunch of convicts together and let them interact? Yeah... they become more hardcore criminals.

If they really wanted to rehabilitate these people then each one would be held in solitary confinement. They wouldn't be able to see other inmates, interact with other inmates, etc... Complete solitude is the only way and that is never going to happen in the current prison system.

I agree with everything except them resuming their criminal behavior the second they are released.

They resume their criminal behavior the second they get to prison.
Most of them meet up with their affiliated gang inside and resume dealing drugs and plotting their next victim. There are probably a lot of long term/life sentence inmates who enjoy being in prison. Free meals, free shelter, part of a gang, and don't need a job. The only thing they don't have in prison that they would outside is women. But, they don't need that when they have pretty little school boys coming in every day.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Why are child molesters and rapists treated the same way as thieves and drug dealers?

This. It's as if the only difference between how these prisoners are handled is based on sentence length. If it's a life sentence or death row they aren't letting them out. If it's anything else like a 30 or 40 year sentence then hell... let's just parole them in 5 so we don't have to deal with them anymore. It's laughable. Look at Michael Klunder... there is absolutely no way in hell that guy should have been released early with his track record. How could anyone look at his history and feel confident he had been rehabilitated? These parole boards are doing society a disservice by being so damn easy on these guys and letting them out early.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The term, "cruel and unusual punishment" makes zero sense to me. Let's all make sure these horrible people who rape and kill and ruin lives are given fair and humane treatment.

We are better than these horrible criminals. Intentionally causing pain as a form of vengeance is just barbarism responding to barbarism. I am proud to live in a nation where juries of citizens in courts of law determine justice in a rational and level-headed way.

The problem with execution is that it is not just executing guilty people, something like 4% of people on death row are innocent. And that is sickening.

This is terrifying and should be the #1 argument against capital punishment IMO. Really needs to be considered by everyone in favor of it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Clayton Lockett, whose execution went wrong last night, was sentenced to death following the shocking murder of Stephanie Nieman, 19.

She was kidnapped, shot twice and buried alive in 1999 a month after she graduated from high school.
Lockett was involved in a botched raid on a house with two other men belonging to Bobby Bornt when Miss Neiman and another 19-year-old woman walked in.

Reports from the time said that Mr Bornt owed Lockett money and that he was tied up and beaten during the ordeal.

Miss Neiman's friend was dragged into the house and hit in the face with a shotgun.

Under duress, the friend then called Miss Neiman into the home and she was also hit in the face with the gun.

Her friend was raped by all three men before they were taken to a rural part of Kay County, Oklahoma
Lockett told them that he was going to kill them all but shot Miss Neiman twice when she refused to give her keys and pickup's alarm code.

When she was shot dead, she was stood in a shallow grave that had been dug by one of Lockett's accomplices, Shawn Mathis. He told Lockett that Miss Neiman was still alive, but Lockett ordered Mathis to bury her.

Thanks for the clarification.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is terrifying and should be the #1 argument against capital punishment IMO. Really needs to be considered by everyone in favor of it.

This is absolutely correct. My opinion has been for a long time that Capital Punishment is in direct violation of the Due Process clause of the Constitution. When new evidence becomes available, you are denied Due Process if you are dead.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You know there are a lot of repeat offenders when 24 states have enacted a form of the "3 Strikes" law. Every state should enact these laws and they should be strict. Obviously an individual that is convicted of multiple felonies has proven without question that there is no hope that they will ever be rehabilitated. They need to lock these people up and throw away the key.

To me it is amazing that in some states you can commit a murder and they will parole these people. How can anyone be granted their freedom after murdering someone? It's absolutely crazy.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The thing that sucks is if you keep them in prison, you find yourself transporting them to another prison and then BAM! You lost them and they're running down Merle Hay handcuffed and escaping for a few hours.

But I don't think an eye for an eye is necessarily the right answer. If it's a sex offender, don't kill them. Chop their boys off and shove them in a prison cell, where you hope they drop the soap, and they won't be able to do anything about it if someone else drops the soap in front of them. I call it the weiner for an eye method.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
This country is too focused on what the punishment should be rather than what the treatment should be. It pisses me off that if you get a felony it basically ruins your chances of getting any meaningful job. Then they expect you to not recommit the crime. I'm strictly speaking of non-violent crimes. Things like selling a lot of drugs.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I can't believe how many people on here think that prison is some vacation for criminals. Have you ever been to prison? It's a nightmare. Just because you watched Shawshank Redemption a few times doesn't mean that you are an expert on the prison system in this country.

Last edited:

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
I can't believe how many people on here think that prison is some vacation for criminals. Have you ever been to prison? It's a nightmare.

No, but I do have someone close to me in prison, and you are correct. It is a horrid place, and they focus on punishment rather than rehab. That is why there are so many repeat offenders.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
No, but I do have someone close to me in prison, and you are correct. It is a horrid place, and they focus on punishment rather than rehab. That is why there are so many repeat offenders.

Exactly. You just want to survive. And once you are out you have so few options, which is why it is so easy to go back to crime. People who don't have experience with the prison system and with extreme poverty can't really comprehend what this is like.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Prisons are not resorts, no. And what they ARE is unbelievably over-crowded.

A fairly large part of that is due to the "war on drugs", which is sending addicts to prison. Call me a bleeding heart if you want, but addicts don't need incarceration, they need rehabilitation, treatment...some kind of pathway out of addiction. We don't incarcerate alcoholics (unless they commit other crimes while intoxicated), but drugs are a direct path to prison.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron