Blum: What if I told you...

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The mindset in the fanbase has changed too....instead of being thrilled with a 10 point conference road victory, there were still plenty of things being mentioned that need to get better.

Not necessarily a bad thing...there's some real potential for a team that can do what it's done lately and be better in the 'correctable' things.

I've noticed this year, it feels like winning is kind of a relief, rather than exciting as it was a few years ago. That is due to winning and the expectations that come with it. It's a good problem to have, we just aren't used to it.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm only pointing this number out for purposes of comparing to ISU's history. In other words, I grew up with ISU getting blown completely out every few games or so...

Getting rid of the blowouts is crucial to the program's success. Closer games, even if losses, allow the fanbase to think that success is just a couple minor improvements away. Whereas if you're 6-6 but you routinely lost by 3+ TD it feels much farther away

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The bottom line is ISU is still making way too many big mistakes and getting too many silly penalties. The Clones have to lead the nation in Offensive Pass Interference penalties. They are still losing the TO battle way too often, although I still contend that in a lot of these games that is just a matter of stinking luck on the other teams side. TTU had two fumbles that they would have lost for sure but they bounced out of bounds before ISU could get them. Iowa had ISU drop two INTs and had 2-3 passed batted in the air right where there didn't happen to be anyone to catch them.

Bottom line is that the offense has improved enough to still win games despite the offensive mistakes. If they can fix a few things and start kicking better, they will be a threat to everyone left on the schedule.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Most people forget about the chip shot he missed before this on the other end of the field. Completely outplayed them, such a shame to lose that game.

And the absolute fustercluck clock management that led to having to attempt that last FG from 47 in the first place.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've noticed this year, it feels like winning is kind of a relief, rather than exciting as it was a few years ago. That is due to winning and the expectations that come with it. It's a good problem to have, we just aren't used to it.

is it good though? I like to enjoy wins even if I expect them.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Reactions: khardbored

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This article sums up what I've been thinking for a while. ISU has been losing in the margins and still winning games. More than anything this team has made it clear that even against good teams ISU does not have to be that team that gets out gained by 150 yards but wins by being plus in penalties and +2 in TO margin.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Like how severe is it? How much anxiety does this picture bring you?

Capture.0.png
GFY! What kind of cretin are you? :)

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
The bottom line is ISU is still making way too many big mistakes and getting too many silly penalties. The Clones have to lead the nation in Offensive Pass Interference penalties. They are still losing the TO battle way too often, although I still contend that in a lot of these games that is just a matter of stinking luck on the other teams side. TTU had two fumbles that they would have lost for sure but they bounced out of bounds before ISU could get them. Iowa had ISU drop two INTs and had 2-3 passed batted in the air right where there didn't happen to be anyone to catch them.

Bottom line is that the offense has improved enough to still win games despite the offensive mistakes. If they can fix a few things and start kicking better, they will be a threat to everyone left on the schedule.

Heck - we'd be undefeated this year if the defensive line had maintained containment against Iowa and Baylor and closed out some of those plays with sacks.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
For as nice as it would have been if that kick got called good, I think we made up for it against Okie Lite in 2011

That kick was not good against Oklahoma State. That was never a make up call. It was the right call.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Tr
Here's the thing: Nobody goes into a game with Iowa State anymore expecting anything other than 4 quarters of tough, disciplined football (despite the TOs). And nobody - I mean nobody, not even Oklahoma or Texas, is marking their game with ISU as a "win" anymore.
true statement

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I dunno about you, but I was sort of disappointed that I didn't have that huge exhilaration with the end of the game and the realization that we had actually won despite the improving offense on the other side of the ball from our usually quite good defense.
Gimmie a few more 70+ point games where the other team fails to score 21 please.