Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I wish there was more information regarding Edozie. The only information that I've been able to find is on the Tyler cc website. The last five box scores on their website show him with the following points 4, 4, 0, 6, 0. They don't have rebounding stats in their box scores. Those are underwhelming scores for a division one player on a junior college team.

Hopefully the order by which they list players in their box scores is not correlated to their time on the floor. Daniel is always listed last.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Obviously we all know that with Hoiberg, starting line ups don't really mean that much and will change a lot throughout the season based on matchups and such.

With that said, I could see him playing bigger with Percy (5), Niang (4), Ejim (3). 3/4 is sort of interchangable in our system, so basically you have Niang that will control the ball more and Ejim probably would defend the 3 in that scenario.

That line up limits our 3 point shooting, but we could play big, and still play fast with that situation.

I think that strategy would help take the pressure off of a very young/inexperienced back court.
I was thinking this too. I hope Matt T is ready to play some D, I think Fred is prepared to have him play alot but it will depend if his D is up to B12 standards.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
If Ejim is the three then our young guys aren't ready and/or Fred is switching to a traditional lineup.

I don't think you can assume our frosh (and RFr) aren't ready if Percy, Georges, and Ejim all play at once. I think it's natural at this point to try to figure out how your three most experienced players can play at once.

I keep thinking about who would be a better "3" between Ejim and Niang. Ejim is obviously a touch shorter, but is a better rebounding, but Niang has a better outside shot (Ejim needs to continue shooting the 3 as well as he has lately to make me a believer), a better handle, is a better passer, but you still want to get him to he's on the block.

ill be very interested to see if Hoiberg can invent an offense to use all 3 (with spacing).

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I didn't hear Fred's call in show Monday. Did he say Gibson "will start" next year or "has the opportunity to start" next year. Big big difference. Anything said on the call in show pretty much goes in the coach-speak category, because he is always going to give a posiive comment on any player who he is asked about.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I didn't hear Fred's call in show Monday. Did he say Gibson "will start" next year or "has the opportunity to start" next year. Big big difference. Anything said on the call in show pretty much goes in the coach-speak category, because he is always going to give a posiive comment on any player who he is asked about.

Gibson starting over Ejim or Niang? Yeah not gonna happen. Fred will have a small line up like always and score 80 points a game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
With that said, I could see him playing bigger with Percy (5), Niang (4), Ejim (3). 3/4 is sort of interchangable in our system, so basically you have Niang that will control the ball more and Ejim probably would defend the 3 in that scenario.

That line up limits our 3 point shooting, but we could play big, and still play fast with that situation.

Keep in mind that the guys you just slated in at the 3 and 4 are both currently 38% from 3 on the season, so I don't think it necessarily limits 3 point shooting. Perhaps you mean you wouldn't have a threat from the 5, but really, how many teams do?

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
My money says Armadi starts by year end next season. IMO, we desperately need him to. Our guards are going to be much more wet around the ears this season just due to experience alone so an inside presence and extra rebounding fire power would go a long way in countering that.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
My money says Armadi starts by year end next season. IMO, we desperately need him to. Our guards are going to be much more wet around the ears this season just due to experience alone so an inside presence and extra rebounding fire power would go a long way in countering that.

If Armadi is just starting to start at the end of the year next year, that probably means we arn't having a great year. The starting line up should NOT change during the end of the season.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If Armadi is just starting to start at the end of the year next year, that probably means we arn't having a great year. The starting line up should NOT change during the end of the season.

I would agree. That would mean our 3 guard lineup isn't working well offensively.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Not true, it just means a player has improved enough to demand a starting spot. I am confident in SDW, Morris & Thomas being able to contribute, but I don't see them snagging rebounds like Clyburn, & Babb do tbo. Niang didnt start to begin this season. The coach has to decided which player rotation is gettng the most bang for his buck. I feel Armadi will hit his stride through the season. Then again, Maybe Fred runs Ejim and Niang at 4-5 but brings Armadi off the bench getting quality minutes at the 5. The more I go over in my head, the more there is no way Niang and Ejim don't both start and Fred likes his guards.
To start the season, I think he will probably run it like this:
PG: Bubu/Morris/Naz
SG: Thomas/SDW/Bluford
SF: Ejim/Hogue/Okoro
PF: Niang/Ejim
C: Percy/Armadi/Niang/Edozie

Come conference play
PG: Bubu/Morris
SG: Thomas/SDW/Bluford
SF: Hogue/Ejim/Thomas
PF: Ejim/Niang
PF: Niang/Armadi

Way too early of course but that is my estimate.

Last edited:

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I bet our starting 5 at the beginning of the conference season will be Morris, Thomas, SDW, Ejim, and Niang. At least I hope it is.

Reactions: Cincyclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The way I look at the two JUCO posts is that any production from them is a bonus. This year ISU is getting virtually nothing on offense or defense from Gibson or Booker. Niang and Ejim are going to start so if either of these two is even "adequate" defensively, that is an improvement from this year. These two are going to come off the bench.

Like CW said, Bluford will likely come off the bench. Hogue is really the only one that may start.

Except we lose Clyburn, Babb, McGee and Lucious. We may be a different type of team next season, we may need them to put in some more points. Melvin may have to play at the 3 a bit more, there are a lot of question marks for next season, starters or not, we'll need good minutes out of these guys.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I bet our starting 5 at the beginning of the conference season will be Morris, Thomas, SDW, Ejim, and Niang. At least I hope it is.

Though I could see Fred keeping Bubu as the 6th man and Morris earning the starting nod, but I don't see how SDW starts. Then again, you never know. I do feel we need way more height then that lineup to compete.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Though I could see Fred keeping Bubu as the 6th man and Morris earning the starting nod, but I don't see how SDW starts. Then again, you never know. I do feel we need way more height then that lineup to compete.
SDW starts if he can score. We will need guys who can really score especially if Bubu starts.

YellowSnow: That's my dream lineup.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
I predict the non-conf season will be very confusing and probably disappointing while this team tries to figure out where everyone fits. Hopefully Fred and the staff can get it all straightened out by the time conference comes around. There are just so many moving parts next year!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I predict the non-conf season will be very confusing and probably disappointing while this team tries to figure out where everyone fits. Hopefully Fred and the staff can get it all straightened out by the time conference comes around. There are just so many moving parts next year!
So, business as usual? :biggrin: