Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I like lineup 1. It's young but it has a lot of potential. 3 top 150 guards, 1 top 60 forward and the returning rebound leader in the Big XII? Give me some of that.
Agreed. That's my hopeful lineup. I think it's probably the best scoring lineup we can put out there. This lineup would be just as offensively as this year in my opinion. SDW will be similar to Babb but with more potential to have a big game. Thomas will be able to score around the same as Clyburn in my opinion. Monte might be the only one who doesn't average around what Lucious does. He will at some point though since he is only a freshman.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Agreed. That's my hopeful lineup. I think it's probably the best scoring lineup we can put out there. This lineup would be just as offensively as this year in my opinion. SDW will be similar to Babb but with more potential to have a big game. Thomas will be able to score around the same as Clyburn in my opinion. Monte might be the only one who doesn't average around what Lucious does. He will at some point though since he is only a freshman.

Whoa...slow down. Might be a bit much to put on Thomas there. Love your optimism though (always do).

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Whoa...slow down. Might be a bit much to put on Thomas there. Love your optimism though (always do).
Clyburn is at 14.8. I don't think it's that unrealistic that Thomas averages around that. Phil Forte averages 11.3 and Thomas has a much better all around offensive game.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Clyburn is at 14.8. I don't think it's that unrealistic that Thomas averages around that. Phil Forte averages 11.3 and Thomas has a much better all around offensive game.

Marcus Smart, Markel Brown and, as crazy as it may sound, to a lesser extent L'Bryan Nash have a lot to do with Forte's scoring numbers...IMO.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I'm just wondering who starts at 3 next year, Hogue, Ejim, Amardi, Edozie, etc. I mean locks for starting are Ejim, Niang, and probably Thomas.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
People eating fruit loops around here. Explain to me how Naz, who doesn't see the court now and gets passed over by a guy who sat out on suspension to start the season will all of a sudden play over Him next season. Face palm.

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Marcus Smart, Markel Brown and, as crazy as it may sound, to a lesser extent L'Bryan Nash have a lot to do with Forte's scoring numbers...IMO.
That's true. I guess people will be able to focus on Thomas more. Still keep high expectations though! I think he'll average somewhere between 10-14. In the game I went to, Thomas' shot and all around game was a thing of beauty.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Sherron is pretty big for a 2 (said he was 200 pounds now) probably could play the 3 if he can rebound.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm just wondering who starts at 3 next year, Hogue, Ejim, Amardi, Edozie, etc. I mean locks for starting are Ejim, Niang, and probably Thomas.
Agreed. Fred chased after Hogue for a reason, I think he fills Clyburns void better then anyone we will have. Slasher, defender, good size, great athlete. If Ejim does move to 3, it has to be him IMO. Problem is, we have what will seem to be 3 solid SG so one of the, will play the 3 from time to time as well.

CyMyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
I'll be really interested to see who works their way into the rotation next year. There definitely will be a lot of competition for playing time since there's no way all 13 of these guys are going to find themselves in the rotation as the year progresses. But as it stands right now, I have no idea how to rank everyone from 1-13.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
People eating fruit loops around here. Explain to me how Naz, who doesn't see the court now and gets passed over by a guy who sat out on suspension to start the season will all of a sudden play over Him next season. Face palm.

Maturing over a year, maybe? I was just putting players at positions, I didn't allocate any minutes or anything like that. Might have looked that way since we just have a better idea of how the front court will look.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
My predicted starting lineup:
Morris/Palo (split playing time for a few games, until Fred sees who runs the offense best)
Thomas (Bluford and SDW get good playing time)
Ejim (Hogue backs him up and may eventually start, I'll explain)
Niang (Backed up by Hogue and Edozie)
Amardi (Percy backs him up, he's not gonna like that)

if Hogue plays better than Amardi than Ejim and Niang might move back down to their spots this year.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
We will have plenty of scoring threats even if Bubu is starting at PG.

Niang and Ejim will both score for us down low, and Matt Thomas, SDW, and KJ Bluford can light it up as well.

Even if Monte Morris ends up starting at PG, I don't think Fred will need him to score much? Yes, we will be young, but I think we will still have scorers. Probably not the likes of Tyrus McGee unfortunately, but hopefully as a group we will be ok.

My point is that Bubu does almost absolutely no scoring, and doesn't really create either. He isn't a crafty passer. He isn't really under control all the time. He is a hustle player, plays great defense, and doesn't turn it over.

Bluford will likely be a catch and shoot player.
Thomas will likely be a catch and shoot player his freshman year, although I eventually expect him to develop a mid range game similar to what Babb has this year.
SDW may be able to create his own shot? I don't know.
Ejim gets his points, but I wouldn't call him a scorer. Like many have said he is a garbage man who gets boards and put backs, and is sometimes crafty in the post.
Niang is a stud scorer, obviously.

I think our PG needs to at least be a creator, someone who can draw defenses and kick out to shooters, like we had with Royce and KL.

It's probably a moot point since even if he starts it doesn't mean he will get 25 minutes or anything.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Agreed. Most people won't like it when Bubu starts to begin the year. The only person that could unseat him is Morris. Naz is more of a 2 or combo as the coaching staff has said previously.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I expect Bubu to play a Booker type role next year. He'll probably start for a couple games to start the season but once Fred realizes that Monte makes the team better, he'll be starting. Though, I expect Bubu to play much more than what Booker has once he goes to the bench.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Loving this discussion guys! No one appears to be down on this team next year, and that's great considering we are losing 5 seniors who see great playing time (except for Booker in B12 play)

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Agreed. Most people won't like it when Bubu starts to begin the year. The only person that could unseat him is Morris. Naz is more of a 2 or combo as the coaching staff has said previously.
I don't think it is a could. Morris is probably the best freshman PG prospect we have had in a long time. Not since Blalock have we had a more highly rated one, and he looks like a true 1. His film is great, and every story I read on him talks about his great leadership qualities. He could do for us what Trey Burke did for Michigan. I expect him to take the job from Bubu.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I said earlier that Bubu is definitely a D1 player, however he is not a year long starter for a B12 team, especially one who is top 10 in the nation in total offense.