Billy Gillispe calls Gary Thompson...two others called him as well

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
  1. The SEC was/is a joke in MBB
  2. Do you think he will bring the same talent here as he did to Kentucky? If so then hire him but I think he will find it harder

Yes, the SEC sucks badly.

Sincerely,

The Florida Gators and their recent back to back National Championships

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Yet he went 18-13 and didn't make it to the second round of the NCAA's. What does that tell you about the SEC.
He lost to teams like Gardner WEbb, San diego and UAB at home. What would ISU fans do to him if he lost to those teams at vaunted Hilton.

Dude... we lost to South Dakota State at home. Losing to Gardner Webb, San Diego, and UAB would be a huge improvement. :biglaugh:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I know its true, I've paid attention, and I have done the research. I'm not going to waste my timing looking it up for you. If you want to make assumption without looking up facts that is fine. I could care less. I just know your assumptions are false based on my research. Besides, I can't really post links to conversations I have had with AAU coaches.
If I was hiring a HC for a D-1 job. I would do more research then looking at a coaches past record. I would want to know how he did what he did. What were the circumstances that helped that succes, and I would want to know how he would repeat that success in a different environment. Especially since he failed when outside that environment. Those are all questions, I would ask Billy G in an itnerview and if I was interviewing him that shows I would be interested.

You sir are the one making statements as facts yet providing nothing to back them up. The burden of proof is on your shoulders, not mine. FYI... basing your "research" on what some AAU coach has said is not providing facts. Since when did an AAU coaches opinion become factual? Interesting. :no:

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
My Problem With BG as New Coach

He has 3 DUI incidents. DUI is not some harmless offense as it endangers other people's lives.

We fired LE for not doing anything illegal, just partying with students. How then can we justify hiring someone who has been CONVICTED of alcohol offenses?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Yes, the SEC sucks badly.

Sincerely,

The Florida Gators and their recent back to back National Championships
Oh Florida won National championships when Billy G was at Kentucky...I guess I didn't realize that....oh wait, never mind they didn't. as a matter of fact they went to the NIT after losing half their roster from the championship game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Re: My Problem With BG as New Coach

He has 3 DUI incidents. DUI is not some harmless offense as it endangers other people's lives.

We fired LE for not doing anything illegal, just partying with students. How then can we justify hiring someone who has been CONVICTED of alcohol offenses?

Maybe we shouldnt have fired Eustachy? I think thats where a lot of the divide on this lies. A lot of fans thought LE deserved the opportunity to to into rehab w\ admin. leave and to return as our coach. Many of those same fans think that if BG has gone through rehab and quit drinking that he is worthy of his second chance at ISU.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
You sir are the one making statements as facts yet providing nothing to back them up. The burden of proof is on your shoulders, not mine. FYI... basing your "research" on what some AAU coach has said is not providing facts. Since when did an AAU coaches opinion become factual? Interesting. :no:
Like i said...believe what you want to believe. I don't care. What I am stating isn't anything new to those that follow recruiting. Take a look at schools in Texas and when they started having success. Then look at their rosters and where the kids came from. it isn't too hard.
It is just a concern I would have for Billy.

I would ask how he bulilt aTm and how that translate here.
I would ask what his recruiting gameplan would be.
I would ask what happened at Kentucky

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Hey! Gary's up to 15 coaches. Better change the thread title.

Go Cyclones - Gillispie and then some with coaching search

“I’ve talked to a number of people that have taken six, seven, eight teams to NCAA Tournament,” Thompson said. “So I found there is a number of these guys as head coaches of major universities. I don’t think there is a problem in finding who you want, it’s up to (ISU athletic director) Jamie (Pollard) to see what he thinks is the best result he can get right now for the program.”

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Honestly, tazclone is just looking for a fight. Ignore him and this thread would be a lot better.

dualforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 9, 2007
Grimes, IA
Honestly, tazclone is just looking for a fight. Ignore him and this thread would be a lot better.

Probably a good idea. Just trying to get accurate info on here so everyone can make their own informed opinions of Gillespie as candidate or anybody else for that matter.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Probably a good idea. Just trying to get accurate info on here so everyone can make their own informed opinions of Gillespie as candidate or anybody else for that matter.

How is ignoring accurate info going to help make an informed decision? Gillispie built A&M by bringing in local talent. Fact. Of the 17 players he recruited during his three years at A&M, 14 were from Texas. The other three players were no stars.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

This. Several posters want for whatever reason to discredit BG as being a good coach. It is laughable. Iowa State would be lucky to have a guy with his resume.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
This. Several posters want for whatever reason to discredit BG as being a good coach. It is laughable. Iowa State would be lucky to have a guy with his resume.

And some posters have such a man crush on Billy, that's it's impossible for them to read something negative without being personally insulted.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
  1. The SEC was/is a joke in MBB
  2. Do you think he will bring the same talent here as he did to Kentucky? If so then hire him but I think he will find it harder

:wideeyed:
Remind me which school was the 2006 and 2007 NCAA Mens Basketball champion, and how many schools the SEC had in the 2006 Final Four?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
How is ignoring accurate info going to help make an informed decision? Gillispie built A&M by bringing in local talent. Fact. Of the 17 players he recruited during his three years at A&M, 14 were from Texas. The other three players were no stars.

Very interesting. So Billy G was able to bring in talented players to A&M? You are knocking him for that? Impressive.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
And some posters have such a man crush on Billy, that's it's impossible for them to read something negative without being personally insulted.

:biglaugh:

I am still waiting for 1 good argument against him that makes him a bad coach. You guys are trying desperately but not many people are biting.