Billy Gillispe calls Gary Thompson...two others called him as well

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Wow - that would be just huge to get a name like Billy G. at this point in the game. Please, Jamie - make. it. happen.

Reactions: cyfanatic

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
dammit, you posted while i was typing mine up. I'd be down for this hire.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I can not begin to tell you what a diaster I think this would be. Billy would have to live the life of a hermit and suck up to fans which he is not good at and he doesn't like. He has recruited Texas well, but it is hard to know if that would translate into recruiting Iowa well.

I kind of resent that one donor is pushing this hire.

I felt sick last Febrary when his name was being floated out there for if McDermott was fired. I feel sick that it is getting traction right now.

I too would love to know the other two coaches. I suspect that Fran Frashilla has some interest if this is coming up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Re: Gillispie shows interest in ISU opening...

got beat to it, mods feel free to merge.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I dont care if he isnt big on sucking up to fans. Just win.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
hahaha, sorry man. :)

i have always been behind this hire. From back in January when I felt we needed a change. It's gonna take a lot of selling for a lot of fans given his history and the fact that we got rid of Larry for similar actions. However, that wasn't under Pollard's watch (Larry I mean) and with Bergstrom and his $$ behind this guy, I could see it happen.

However, I find it peculiar that three guys called Gary and he only mentions Billy. To me, that says there isn't mutual interest from Iowa State. Why would they say his name at this point if there was unless things are moving really quickly and he's likely the guy?

If I had to guess, I would say ISU isn't showing the same interest as Billy is showing. I would like the hire though.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
This is really, really interesting. Is ISU referring candidates to call Thompson, or why would he be the one that Billy and these other two coaches call?

Gary Thompson is very well known around here, obviously, but would someone like Billy Gillispie know how influential he is at Iowa State?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If he wins stays clean himself, and I don't mean stays clean and whatever happens behind closed doors doesn't matter because it does I mean 100% clean, AND he runs a clean program that builds men not only to be better to win here and in the future but to be good outstanding men in society that represent Iowa State and it's ideals to the highest level. If he can do those things I will support it but the tiniest slip up and he's gone faster than he can figure out what he did.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I get what you're saying, there are pros and cons with Billy G. The main thing: he can coach at a BCS level basketball school. He's had issues's and I think he realizes he's pi**ed some opportunities down his leg, at least I would hope so. He should also know you only get so many chances. He doesn't need to be everybody's best friend, Floyd wasn't, Larry wasn't, but if JP does interview him I'm sure past issues will be a topic.

At least we know some name coaches are interested...but it seems weird that his name was released this early....

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
However, I find it peculiar that three guys called Gary and he only mentions Billy. To me, that says there isn't mutual interest from Iowa State. Why would they say his name at this point if there was unless things are moving really quickly and he's likely the guy?

If I had to guess, I would say ISU isn't showing the same interest as Billy is showing. I would like the hire though.

you may be right. otoh, the register may have had an idea that BCG would be calling and Thompson just confirmed he was one of the callers. I dont think its been much of a secret that he'd have interest.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The thing is, all coaches have downsides.

Some have mid major head coaching experience but you have no idea how theyll manage at a high level.
Some have high level experience, but no head coaching experience, so you dont know how they'll manage a program of their own.
Some have pro experience but have never run a major college team, or college recruiting.
And some have all the above qualifications, but have some baggage in their personal life.

Pick your poison.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive

It's very possible the other two coaches don't want to be named at this time if they're currently employed.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Perhaps the other two are currently coaching.

still doesn't make sense if that was the case. are you saying that if those other two weren't coaching that it's normal or ok to reveal three people the day the position comes open? That would be a PR nightmare.

dualforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 9, 2007
Grimes, IA
I've been surprised at how little I have heard his name this spring associated with other coaching searches. This is exciting to know he is interested in coming to Ames. He may be able to light a fire under Hilton Magic faster than anybody else because of his established name and recruiting connections.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Larry or Tim was one of the other people who called IMO. Who else has Gary's number just laying around and is following this story so closely? Or Gary is making up the fact people inquired besides Billy to make it seem like there's plenty of interest.