Billy Gillispe calls Gary Thompson...two others called him as well

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
We already provided a fulltime driver for a previous coach, driving him almost every time for any Cyclone function, not again.

dualforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 9, 2007
Grimes, IA
Wow, I think there is a little more too it then that. See his character flaws and he not only didn't make the final four but he lost early to Gardner Webb and was never in the top 25 his first year. his first year was the first tim eKentucky hadn't made it to the 2nd round in 16 years. Then year two he started out losing to VMI and finished in the NIT. First time Kentucky missed the NCAA tourney since Pitino's second year.

In his first year at Kentucky he also had a 12-4 conference record and was named SEC co-coach of the year with Bruce Pearl of Tennessee.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
2 seasons outside of Texas. 2 post season appearances. Are we done now?
First season at Kentucky-First time Kentucky hadn't made the second round of the NCAA's in 16 years.

Second Season- better record but first time Kentucky hadn't made the NCAA's in 17 years. Are we done now?

Tenure at Kentucky- worst two back to back seasons at Kentucky since Rupp built the program and it wasn't getting better. That includes AL COACHING CHANGES

Are we done now?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
****, even GMac was able to get Brackins out here from Cali, it can't be that damn hard. We play in Texas all the time as part of the conference schedule, I see it "sort of" similar to us being able to recruit Texas for football. I know, different situation, but a similar selling point.
GMac could get a 5 star recruit to come from Cali to ISU but Billy couldn;t get a 5 star recruit to come from anywhere to Kentucky....hmmmm

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Now you are saying that Kentucky was a rebuilding job? I thought you just ranted how he couldn't win with "Kentucky" talent? Hypocritical much? :biglaugh:
Well people on here are claiming that Tubby left him no talent. so if he had no talent then isn't it rebuilding? Wasn't he hired to do better than the guy he replaced?:confused::confused::confused:

dualforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 9, 2007
Grimes, IA
First season at Kentucky-First time Kentucky hadn't made the second round of the NCAA's in 16 years.

Second Season- better record but first time Kentucky hadn't made the NCAA's in 17 years. Are we done now?

Tenure at Kentucky- worst two back to back seasons at Kentucky since Rupp built the program and it wasn't getting better. That includes AL COACHING CHANGES

Are we done now?

Your providing a portion of the facts that are not wholly representative...Check back to post # 446

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
You only need to get like two a year out of there to be successful. Then get one from Chicago or Milwaukee and if there is a good kid from Iowa take him and that is a recruiting class. This isn't football where you have to sign 22 kids.
i don't diagree but Billy hasn't shown he can recruit outside the state of Texas. That is my point and the first question I would ask him when I interview him.
Keep in mind I said interview him which means if I was hiring, he would be considered.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
GMac could get a 5 star recruit to come from Cali to ISU but Billy couldn;t get a 5 star recruit to come from anywhere to Kentucky....hmmmm

Hasn't a big list of the recruits he got at Kentucky been posted? Why are you still harping on this?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Pardon me? You are using facts that you don't even know to be true. If you want to research to prove the point YOU are trying to make feel free. The burden of proof is on you pal. :confused:
I know its true, I've paid attention, and I have done the research. I'm not going to waste my timing looking it up for you. If you want to make assumption without looking up facts that is fine. I could care less. I just know your assumptions are false based on my research. Besides, I can't really post links to conversations I have had with AAU coaches.
If I was hiring a HC for a D-1 job. I would do more research then looking at a coaches past record. I would want to know how he did what he did. What were the circumstances that helped that succes, and I would want to know how he would repeat that success in a different environment. Especially since he failed when outside that environment. Those are all questions, I would ask Billy G in an itnerview and if I was interviewing him that shows I would be interested.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
See the response to this below from another fanatic...
What source for the 1 5* claim?

The following excerpt is from gillespie's profile on wiki - If this is inaccurate, forgive me as I am not a Kentucky historian.

Recruiting at Kentucky
Between April 29 and May 7, 2008, Billy Gillispie made recruiting waves by snagging commitments from five players spread over five different classes, most notably the commitment on May 1 of Thousand Oaks, California 8th-grader Michael Avery. Avery, a member of the class of 2012, gave the University of Kentucky its earliest basketball commitment in the history of the program. The commitment also earned national scrutiny for Coach Gillispie and the university, but no there were no violations of the NCAA recruiting rules.[22] During his tenure at Kentucky, Gillispie snagged numerous high profile recruits. These included three 5* recruits according to Scout.com (Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton & Dominique Ferguson) and five 4* recruits (Alex Legion, DeAndre Liggins, Darius Miller, Kevin Galloway and Jon Hood).[23] Legion later transferred to Illinois early in the 2007–08 season.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
What source for the 1 5* claim?

The following excerpt is from gillespie's profile on wiki - If this is inaccurate, forgive me as I am not a Kentucky historian.

Recruiting at Kentucky
Between April 29 and May 7, 2008, Billy Gillispie made recruiting waves by snagging commitments from five players spread over five different classes, most notably the commitment on May 1 of Thousand Oaks, California 8th-grader Michael Avery. Avery, a member of the class of 2012, gave the University of Kentucky its earliest basketball commitment in the history of the program. The commitment also earned national scrutiny for Coach Gillispie and the university, but no there were no violations of the NCAA recruiting rules.[22] During his tenure at Kentucky, Gillispie snagged numerous high profile recruits. These included three 5* recruits according to Scout.com (Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton & Dominique Ferguson) and five 4* recruits (Alex Legion, DeAndre Liggins, Darius Miller, Kevin Galloway and Jon Hood).[23] Legion later transferred to Illinois early in the 2007–08 season.
Well I looked over Rivals and Scout and his recruiting classes while he was there and Patterson is the only player listed as a 5 star on rivals. Patterson was going to commit until Tubby was fired then committed to Billy. But hey, Wikipedia is far more reliable then the recruiting databases at Scout and Rivals:jimlad:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
He still had winning records correct? That would be a rebuild if he did it here. :smile:
  1. The SEC was/is a joke in MBB
  2. Do you think he will bring the same talent here as he did to Kentucky? If so then hire him but I think he will find it harder

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Well I looked over Rivals and Scout and his recruiting classes while he was there and Patterson is the only player listed as a 5 star on rivals. Patterson was going to commit until Tubby was fired then committed to Billy. But hey, Wikipedia is far more reliable then the recruiting databases at Scout and Rivals:jimlad:
Orton committed 10/12/2008. Who was coach of Kentucky at the time?
Daniel Orton - Yahoo! Sports

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We do not need to take chances will a BG. We just whiffed.

BG isnt taking chances any more than any other coach. In fact, as far as success on the court goes, he's about as close to a sure thing as we are going to be able to get.

He's quit drinking according to that article that was posted. Assuming he holds to that (and we have a contract to cover us if he doesnt) then this hire would be an absolute slam dunk.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
In his first year at Kentucky he also had a 12-4 conference record and was named SEC co-coach of the year with Bruce Pearl of Tennessee.
Yet he went 18-13 and didn't make it to the second round of the NCAA's. What does that tell you about the SEC.
He lost to teams like Gardner WEbb, San diego and UAB at home. What would ISU fans do to him if he lost to those teams at vaunted Hilton.