MLB: Best night of Baseball ever?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Awesome night. Glad I'm not a Braves or Red Sox fan. I can't remember when two teams choked this bad down the stretch in the same season. Their poor fans won't sleep for a week.

Including Matty P. Loved watching his meltdown on twitter tonight.:smile::smile::smile:

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Yankees tossed in the towel to stick it to the Red Sox. Not that there's anything wrong with keeping Boston out.
I was thinking the same thing, once they saw that Boston score flash, and Longoria coming up to bat. I am sure ole Girardi gave the pitcher the meat ball signal and Longoria let it fly.

I am sure that the Yankees are not all that heart broken to give up the walk off home run to eliminate their most hated rivals...

GOPCyclone

Sep 10, 2011
Two walk-offs within 3 minutes (to nail the Red Sox's coffin shut)

Atlanta and Boston combine to lose a 17 1/2 game advantage in the month of September

Rays come back from down 7 to win in the bottom of the 12th (on a walk-off)

I could go on...there aren't many things in sports history, let alone baseball history, that compete with what we watched tonight. I mean, how many of these games were decided in extras, for crying out loud?

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
My only regret is that the Cards game was the only 1 of the 4 with no drama. Over in the 1st. When they do the documentary on this night, that game will be a side note.
(Of course, I can gripe about that now. Last night I felt pretty good about the blowout)

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
There has never been a better night of regular season baseball. Its not even close. I only wish my team was one competing for a spot. I guess its better than nothing that they were involved in one of the key games, and for a big change, won it.

What I find interesting is that both of the number one seeds were also involved and could end up gettin bitten in the *** for the result!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Awesome night. Glad I'm not a Braves or Red Sox fan. I can't remember when two teams choked this bad down the stretch in the same season. Their poor fans won't sleep for a week.
Can the Red Sox and Braves play one more game to see who sucks the most?

Craig Kimbrel has to be depressed about this game. He lost it.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The best part is seeing all these Boston writers get what's coming to them after bragging about how great this team was going to be before the season started.

2011 Red Sox Will Challenge 1927 Yankees for Title of Greatest Team in Major League History - Instant Opinion - NESN.com

I can't wait for the next Bill Simmons/Jacko podcast. I hate the Yankees as well, but this is going to be fun.

I NEVER thought they had the starting pitching to be as good as everyone thought they would be...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I NEVER thought they had the starting pitching to be as good as everyone thought they would be...
If I told you the top teams in the AL East would have these rotations:

CC Sabathia
AJ Burnett
Freddy Garcia
Bartolo Colon
Ivan Nova

David Price
James Shields
Jeremy Hellickson
Jeff Niemann
Wade Davis

Jon Lester
Josh Beckett
John Lackey
Tim Wakefield
Erik Bedard

Which two would you have bought? I would've had the Red Sox, Rays, then Yankees. As it turns out, the Rays, Yankees, then Red Sox had the most quality pitching. You can't have thought the Rays or Yankees would have been better on paper. Rays offense is average and the Yankees and Red Sox have arguably the two best offenses in the majors.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
As a Braves fan, this is the worst month of baseball I've ever seen. My only solace is knowing they didn't have enough to win it all (injuries and such).

Very dramatic night though. Fun for everyone not a Braves or Red Sux fan.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If I told you the top teams in the AL East would have these rotations:

CC Sabathia
AJ Burnett
Freddy Garcia
Bartolo Colon
Ivan Nova

David Price
James Shields
Jeremy Hellickson
Jeff Niemann
Wade Davis

Jon Lester
Josh Beckett
John Lackey
Tim Wakefield
Erik Bedard

Which two would you have bought? I would've had the Red Sox, Rays, then Yankees. As it turns out, the Rays, Yankees, then Red Sox had the most quality pitching. You can't have thought the Rays or Yankees would have been better on paper. Rays offense is average and the Yankees and Red Sox have arguably the two best offenses in the majors.

I would have picked Rays staff from the get go, I just didn't know if they would score enough runs going in... If Detroit can get someone to stand up as a solid 3-4 then they are the clear favorite out of the AL in my opinion...+

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
What I find interesting is that both of the number one seeds were also involved and could end up gettin bitten in the *** for the result!

As a Cards fan, I thought the same watching the Phillies pull out the stops. They knew that by winning they would get the Cards. I know on paper you want a wild card vs. a division winner, but the Cards are on fire right now and had the edge in the regular season series. Maybe they thought they'd rather have the Cards with their rotation all goofed up. But losing to Atlanta could have resulted in the Cards with 1 fewer day of rest and their rotation in worse shape.

Anyway, kudos to Charlie and the boys for playing to win.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
As a Phillies fan I'm certainly a little uneasy about playing the Cards instead of the Braves, who we've owned this year. But, it was nice to see the Phils get the regular season wins record and Charlie take the record for most wins by a Phils manager, especially on such an historic night.

Help Support Us

Become a patron