Ben Brust

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I would prefer to disagree with the Hawks in the thread, but we do have a pretty good track record of hyping guys.

Except that the subject isn't hyping guys. That's diverting and derailing the issue of whether Brust is actally a quality signee or not.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Oh, I see, so pro forma whining that has absolutely nothing to do with the merits (or lack thereof) of the player referred to.

Exactly. Southern hit the nail on the head earlier, and the rest of the Clones in this thread haven't disappointed. If this kid was going to ISU, the opinions of him here would be a complete 180.

Maybe I should have added a :jimlad: for you in my first post.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Except that the subject isn't hyping guys. That's diverting and derailing the issue of whether Brust is actally a quality signee or not.

Nobody knows if he is or not, time will tell. Thats they way it with every recruit for both schools, but that doesn't stop Cyclone fans from panning every kid who commits to Iowa, or from slapping an all-American tag on a player of the same caliber who commits to ISU.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

OK, I'll go on record and say it then.

I think Brust is a quality signee. I am excited to see him in a Hawkeye uniform.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nobody knows if he is or not, time will tell. Thats they way it with every recruit for both schools, but that doesn't stop Cyclone fans from panning every kid who commits to Iowa, or from slapping an all-American tag on a player of the same caliber who commits to ISU.

You have to understand, though, that all of our signees are under-the-radar All-Americans, but they don't always fulfill their promise because JP sabotages them as part of his commitment to mediocrity and false hope. :jimlad:

That one hurt my head.:wideeyed:

OK, I'll go on record and say it then.

I think Brust is a quality signee. I am excited to see him in a Hawkeye uniform.

And this is how it ought to be. People should be excited for the guys that their program recruits (unless it's women's sports, since they shouldn't be recruiting guys to play). I don't know much about this kid, but I don't see any reason to tear the Hawk fans apart on this one if we don't want to eat it back in return.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I was surprised Angle didn't get drafted :)

I was going to pull some fan quotes about JR Angle as a recruit to prove my point about how recruits are hyped everywhere, but the search function on both the "major" Hawk sites completely suck. Really suck.

But I did find this Angle quote, which made me laugh:

Q: Have you had a chance to meet Alex Thompson here at the camp.

ANGLE: This is first time I have actually met Alex and he is a great guy. I think he and I are going to be a great combo at Iowa.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Hawk fans should really listen to the clones right now because what is happening in Iowa City is the same thing that has been going on at ISU. Mac just recently has admitted he underestimated the need for talent and with that realization by Mac has come some better players.

I think you are misinterpreting what Mac meant.

It wasn't that Mac was recruiting lower level players by choice...and passing on higher level recruits. He was getting what he could and getting the best he could.

What you could take from his statement is that YOU HAVE TO RECRUIT top level talent if you want to consistently compete in the league.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I follow basketball recruiting pretty closely...I'm not saying I'm an expert but I've never even heard of this kid. Seriously, almost every hawk fan I know is complaining about these recruits but the die hards on a CYCLONE message board seem to love them.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
And to tie that into the relevancy of the thread I think Lick may have missed any chance he had at getting better recruits.

I think for most new coaches you have a short window to establish yourself and make your program attractive to potential recruits. I think the recent exodus of players from his program may have been the nail in the coffin over there.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I think you are misinterpreting what Mac meant.

It wasn't that Mac was recruiting lower level players by choice...and passing on higher level recruits. He was getting what he could and getting the best he could.

What you could take from his statement is that YOU HAVE TO RECRUIT top level talent if you want to consistently compete in the league.

Nobody would ever call the guys that Bo Ryan gets to come to Wisconsin "top talent."

You don't necessarily have to have top talent to win.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Nobody would ever call the guys that Bo Ryan gets to come to Wisconsin "top talent."

I agree, but Wisky always seems to have one or two electric, athletic players to go with the "solid" guys like Brust may end up being. That is the difference right now between Wisky and Iowa...Lickliter is not yet getting that kind of player. He might, but time will tell.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I know nothing about this guy, but if ISU has just landed a guy that was not rated, I would at least be questioning why Mac took them. If the Hawk fans like him, that is fine for them. Lickliter is looking for guys that fit his system.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Bo Ryan has signed five 4* players in the past three years. He has signed a couple 5 star players in Butch and Krabbenhoft. So you are incorrect with that statement.

I do somewhat agree with your second sentence though.

Brust will only be a bad sign at Iowa if he is their best recruit in that class. If he is their best recruit they are going to have problems. If they get some other solid recruits around him than I think he will be alright

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm guessing that the number of people who have commented in this thread and seen Brust play is about 1%.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron