Becoming a fan?

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I was an Iowa fan by virtue of proximity to said university after I moved here in 8th grade. Once I went to ISU, I followed both teams until the Iowa/ISU game in 2005. I couldn't stand the trash talk coming from the "other side" anymore, and once we whuped their 8th ranked butts, I never looked back! :wink:

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I rooted for Iowa early in my childhood. My dad eventually convinced me to be a Cyclone and I don't thank him enough for that. :biggrin9gp: I can't imagine going to games at Carver-Hawkeye instead of Hilton every winter.

either can real hawk fans....

I was born and raised a Cyclone. Been going to games as long as I can remember and it still as exciting as when I was 10. I think I became a hawk hater the day I was born, as they lost to purdue in basketball the same night.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Followed Iowa for half my life, then decided it was time to get serious and go back to school....found out that Iowa didnt have anything associated to Architecture, that sealed it....

Clone through and through....plus its fun to banter with Hawk fans.....they can never see through the black and gold blinders and be rational about anything......

clonedmax

Apr 19, 2006
Earlham, IA
I leaned towards ISU when I was younger because 2 of my uncles went there. Friends of my parents had a son that played FB for ISU under Donnie Duncan. Through him I got to meet David Archer and that's probably what really started it for me, I was probably 11-12 at the time.

When it came time to go to college, I was interested in engineering and already an ISU fan, so that made that choice pretty easy.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I was the product of a mixed marriage (mom went to Iowa, dad went to ISU). One of the first gifts I received upon birth were baby shorts that said "I'm behind the Cyclones" on the butt. I cheered for both Iowa and ISU growing up, but always cheered for the Clones when they played, because they were usually underdogs. When I went to ISU I almost immediately started hating the Hawks.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Mom was an alumni, but my Dad went to UNI, but he always cheered for all three but UNI was always first. Mom kind of grained it into my head to root for the cardinal and gold, and I enjoyed it, I always liked cheering for the underdog, i really didnt mind the hawkeyes, never cheered for them, but didnt hate them until the last 4-5 years. Ever since i was about 12 i figured i was going to go to Iowa State and now I'm here and cardinal and gold run through my vains.

Help Support Us

Become a patron