Becoming a fan?

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Grew up big iowa fan in Dubuque.

Went to ISU for school. Cheered for ISU and iowa for the first few weeks. Got my first taste of the ISU/iowa game about week 3 of school.

Never looked back.

What he said circa 2005. 23-3 sealed the deal

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I rooted for Iowa early in my childhood. My dad eventually convinced me to be a Cyclone and I don't thank him enough for that. :biggrin9gp: I can't imagine going to games at Carver-Hawkeye instead of Hilton every winter.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
for me it was the first day marching band with the drumline when they played sticks and swings, and I got to yell out, "OH WE HATE THE HAWKS!" ... that day changed my life

brinkch

Mar 25, 2006
Iowa State vs. Kansas in the 1995-1996 season. We were neck and neck almost the entire game when Kansas took over in the final minutes to win. Even though we lost, the crowd stayed and gave a standing ovation for the Cyclones chanting I-S-U at the top of their lungs.

The only games since that have ever come close to that for me are the insight.com bowl win and the FSU game at Arrowhead.

Oh, and I came to ISU in 1995 as a Hawk fan...now I just enjoy watching EIU lose!

RustyClone

Dec 16, 2008
Hockenheim
I grew up in SE Kansas in a house full of OU fans (I still am to a point), but I always loved watching teams in the Big 8, especially Kansas, go to Hilton and get beat. Who knew that I would eventially get my degree from ISU.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Raised Hawk(Father always took the underdog) and Sooners(Mother was from Oklahoma). Rooted for Oklahoma for a long time and grew to dislike the Hawks over time(Not sure why back then). I guess I have grown up rooting for the underdog most of the time and ISU fits that bill. I have never been one to follow the crowd as I like to make my own decisions. Some of my best friends are Hawk fans though, however, I am a huge State fan and always will be. Go State!

Z

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
raised an illinois fan, so I obviously hated Iowa but once I stepped on campus they are my first love over anything.
edit: I spose my wife should be a close second:wink:

mg4cy

Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
Born in Omaha, so rooted for huskers and attended a couple of football games in the 80s w/ tickets given to us. Moved to western Iowa.

Became a fan after acceptance to ISU and engineering workshop junior year in H.S. Became a stronger fan after graduating, moving away, having freetime. Only attended a few football games. When I moved back to Des Moines area, became season ticket holder in football, then later basketball.

Cysquared

Mar 26, 2009
I was born an Iowa State fan. I have been through many losing seasons. The losing seasons are what makes the winning seasons that much more special. Went down to Waco to see Iowa State win the Big XII regular season championship something I would not have thought would have happened but was one of the most enjoyable days as a Cyclone fan. Everyone may be down on the basketball team and be all doom and gloom, but that is when you are surprised by a few unexpected things falling into place and the team making a sweet sixteen run or making a run at the Big XII tournament title. It's great being a Cyclone fan, win or lose.

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
Born a cyclone! both parents and sister attended ISU (although mom went to Iowa for a semester). Parents weren't that big of fans but my best friends parents were, and i was over there everyday. Been to every game since I was 5. Johnny Orr held me when I was a baby so i feel pretty special

GrimesCy

Oct 25, 2008
Grimes
Born and Raised ...What really capped it off..2000 Insight bowl VS. Pitt. My tickets were the in endzone where Billups recieved the punt and then he housed it. TOUCHDOWN BILLUPS!!!!!!!!!!

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I tell people that going to Iowa State was both the greatest blessing and greatest curse of my life. It gave me the best 5 years of my life but it doomed me to an eternity of sports heartache.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
It's my alma mater first and foremost. It's a nice bonus that the fans are humble, insightful and kind. Perhaps the best fans in the country.

No perhaps about it!

I started going to games in the 70's, jazz shows at the Maintenance Shop about the same time.

Ended up going to school there in 1982 after several attempts at other schools.

Best thing I ever did was going to Ames. (Just don't ask me about my clarinet playing first wife I met there!)