Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
What are you smoking and where can I get some?

SMU averaged 21,347 people at their home games.
Highest home attendence: 34,749 (Stephen F. Austin, season opener)
Lowest home attendence: 13,626 (East Carolina)

TCU averaged 38,187 people at their home games.
Highest home attendence: 50,307 (#16 Utah)
Lowest home attendence: 31,156 (Colorado State)

For comparison, A&M averaged 76,800, Texas averaged 101,169.

Baylor, SMU, and TCU are afterthoughts in this state. Saying that TCU and SMU would "deliver" the Texas market is like saying that UNI could "deliver" the Iowa market, CMU and Western Michigan could deliver Michigan or LA Tech could deliver Louisiana.

By this logic, the conference to replace the Big XII should be:

ISU
KSU
KU
Baylor
SMU
TCU
Fresno St.
San Jose St.
San Diego St.
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Buffalo
Miami (OH)
Northern Illinois

ISU delivers Iowa, KU and KSU delivers Kansas/KC, Baylor/SMU/TCU delivers the Texas market, Fresno, SDSU and San Jose deliver California, FAU and FIU bring Florida, WMU and CMU take the Michigan market, Buffalo locks up New York, Miami handles Ohio, and NIU carries Illinois.

That's every major TV market. We could rule College FB!!! :jimlad:

Clearly, you don't "get" what this is all about. It is about geographic footprint and expanded exposure which can lead to increased television revenues...which have become the mother's milk of college athletics.

This is not about average attendance or current athletic department budgets...and, no, it is not even about how big a university's research budget is. It is about marketing, television and exposure.

You have no argument from me at all that if you go into the Texas market you want to partner with UT and A&M because they currently draw the greatest interest...but if you end up partnering with schools currently further down the pecking order in Texas you still have accessed the market and you will increase your television viewing area and increase your exposure.

With your thought process, the current Big 12 could say they don't really have access to the Iowa market...after all, as we are painfully aware, Iowa has better attendance, a bigger budget, more research money, and gets more press coverage than ISU in the state.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Just curious... what's the longest thread ever on CF? This has to be getting up there. I'd venture that one of the Chiz meltdowns would be longer... maybe? Anyway to find out?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Just curious... what's the longest thread ever on CF? This has to be getting up there. I'd venture that one of the Chiz meltdowns would be longer... maybe? Anyway to find out?

Longest thread was several thousands of posts long (thinking of several "FTG" threads). This thread hasn't even scratched that surface.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Longest thread was several thousands of posts long (thinking of several "FTG" threads). This thread hasn't even scratched that surface.

Thanks! I actually just looked in the Archive and "These are a Few of My Favorite Things" wins with 5,347 posts.

Top 5:

Ok, now back to the topic

LOUD NOISES!

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Alright maybe I'm dumb but it says "But the Big 12 is plum immature. Colorado is perfectly indifferent to the concept of success. Missouri has an entitlement complex. Hell if I know all the sordid details at Kansas, but it sorely needs a come-to-Jesus moment. A&M is swimming in the red. Iowa State chugs along like a Yugo. Texas has a ton of irons in the fire; one day, UT will get burned."

What's a Yugo? I did a wiki search and the only thing that kind of makes sense is a midget submarine. Yes?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thanks! I actually just looked in the Archive and "These are a Few of My Favorite Things" wins with 5,347 posts.

Top 5:

Ok, now back to the topic

LOUD NOISES!

I think they may have deleted some to make the database smaller... there were a couple i thought got near 10,000

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Alright maybe I'm dumb but it says "But the Big 12 is plum immature. Colorado is perfectly indifferent to the concept of success. Missouri has an entitlement complex. Hell if I know all the sordid details at Kansas, but it sorely needs a come-to-Jesus moment. A&M is swimming in the red. Iowa State chugs along like a Yugo. Texas has a ton of irons in the fire; one day, UT will get burned."

What's a Yugo? I did a wiki search and the only thing that kind of makes sense is a midget submarine. Yes?

Poorly made car from Yugoslavia, it's become shorthand for any crappy product. But hey, check out the sweet Cardinal & Gold Yugo in this pic! Think I just found my new tailgating ride!

yugo_rear.jpg

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Poorly made car from Yugoslavia, it's become shorthand for any crappy product. But hey, check out the sweet Cardinal & Gold Yugo in this pic! Think I just found my new tailgating ride!

yugo_rear.jpg

All that needs is some flame graphics and probably a sweet fin on top.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA

A Yugo was a compact car imported from the former Yugoslavia, hence its name. The car was a total piece of crap. Made the Pontiac LeMans (AKA the Pontiac Lemon) of the 70's look like a reliable vehicle.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
College FB Live on ESPN discussed this at length last night. They seem to believe this scenario of MU and MU to the Big 10 and the rest of the Big 12 to the Pac 10 sans ISU, KU, K-St, and Baylor.

What was interesting (and somewhat depressing) is that they had "experts" from the schools not, apparently, being invited to the Pac 10 on...someone from MU, someone from NU, and someone from KU. ISU, K-St, and Baylor were not even given consideration on the show when discussing what would happen to those not invited to the Pac 10.

drClone06

Jun 4, 2010
El Paso, TX
Hanging out in Oklahoma for a bit, and the sports news cornered the OU AD. Castiglione denied any talk of moving to the PAC10, but did make some CYA about looking out for the university and whatnot.

Sounds like the OK schools are just along for whatever ride Texas/NU/MU decide.

AstrozTX

Jun 5, 2010
From what I see it (As an outsider Texas student looking in), there's only one possible outcome that leaves you guys without any BCS hopes, if all 6 accept and go to the Pac 10, NU and MU go to the Big 10, and the MWC invites Boise State, KU and KSU to go to 12 teams...leaving you and Baylor out to dry.

However, I think the most likely happening is the Big 10 expanding to 16 after this, and inviting you guys. Just IMO, of course.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
KU/KSU to the MWC? Not likely IMO.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
if both the PAC and big 10 move to 16, that could be our best option. the big 12 outcasts form up with a few big east outcasts (cincy, west virginia, etc) if possible? making a new conference would probably be our best scenario then

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron